Mesa Interview

Subscribe
1  2  3  4  5  6  7 
Page 5 of 7
Go to
Quote: “Exaduration”: yep, you can only do so much with the talent we attract. I have done initial and recurrent SIM training with Flight Safety and CAE on different aircraft. At least on the Ejet, our instructors were better than any I have experienced. I think when you compare our instructors favorably, “top notch” is the correct term.
Exaggeration*

You got me
Quote: I believe the instruction to be top notch once you get to the SIMs. After all, I made it through with no issues. I have friends at other regionals and all regionals are all experiencing a higher failure rate than in the past.

It isn’t just the typical pipeline pilot who is failing. I am also not sure my class was indicative of all classes. But, you only get so much instruction before you wash out.

Are we using AQP for new hire training now?
So I have to ask now- how was the ground instruction? How often do they review and test on the material (weekly vs. daily)?
Quote: So I have to ask now- how was the ground instruction? How often do they review and test on the material (weekly vs. daily)?
Forgive my ignorance guys, but I am not 121, yet. What is “AQP”?
Quote: Forgive my ignorance guys, but I am not 121, yet. What is “AQP”?
Alternative Qualification Program. Instead of training and a check-ride as specifically outlined by the FAA for the ATP or Type rating, the airline gets the FAA to approve a airline-specific training program and airline-specific check-ride that follows alternative training and alternative check-ride standards.

For example, some airline initial AQP programs only teach steep turns once and the pilot must demonstrate it once during training. Then, the pilot never flies a steep turn in training again or during the check-ride. The theory from removing steep turns is “why teach an airline pilot how to do a steep turn, they will never do one?”, and the AQP training is instead focused on maneuvers the pilot will need to know.
Quote: Alternative Qualification Program. Instead of training and a check-ride as specifically outlined by the FAA for the ATP or Type rating, the airline gets the FAA to approve a airline-specific training program and airline-specific check-ride that follows alternative training and alternative check-ride standards.

For example, some airline initial AQP programs only teach steep turns once and the pilot must demonstrate it once during training. Then, the pilot never flies a steep turn in training again or during the check-ride. The theory from removing steep turns is “why teach an airline pilot how to do a steep turn, they will never do one?”, and the AQP training is instead focused on maneuvers the pilot will need to know.

“Alternative”... it’s “advanced”

https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/training/aqp/
Quote: “Alternative”... it’s “advanced”

https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/training/aqp/
Yeah, I always confuse the first word.
Quote: Alternative Qualification Program. Instead of training and a check-ride as specifically outlined by the FAA for the ATP or Type rating, the airline gets the FAA to approve a airline-specific training program and airline-specific check-ride that follows alternative training and alternative check-ride standards.

Thank you, Calmwinds. Makes sense. So, is Mesa “AQP”?
Quote: Thank you, Calmwinds. Makes sense. So, is Mesa “AQP”?
Not for initial.
Upcoming Mesa Interview
I have a Mesa interview scheduled for later this month (August that is) and don't necessarily have a comment about that, but just seeing if anyone is based out of DFW, and if they like it.

For me, the low reserve time, and QOL (from that area) are what are driving toward Mesa versus SkyWest and Envoy.
Quote: I have a Mesa interview scheduled for later this month (August that is) and don't necessarily have a comment about that, but just seeing if anyone is based out of DFW, and if they like it.

For me, the low reserve time, and QOL (from that area) are what are driving toward Mesa versus SkyWest and Envoy.
If you live near DFW consider envoy, there pay just got better and you'll spend days on reserve at home not flying. If you wanna be a slave to work go to Mesa. Right now FO's are on reserve for maybe a month in DFW and fly between 80 to 100 hours per month.
1  2  3  4  5  6  7 
Page 5 of 7
Go to