Contract openers

Subscribe
1  2  3  4  5  6  12  52  102 
Page 2 of 105
Go to
Quote: A good strategy would be to send out the detailed company opener.
That I agree with, and would be much more telling...
Quote: A good strategy would be to send out the detailed company opener.
It’s unlikely there would be anything to send out. The contract is worked section by section. He company rarely gets specific on a section until term sheets are exchanged for that part of the contract.
Folks, don't read too much into the openers. They aren't a good indicator of what the final product will be. It will come down to the fact that because we can't take any job action, the company will stall and the union will naturally want to pass something/anything to keep the ball rolling. There will be a TA that doesn't even resemble the opener. We need FULL LANGUAGE IN THE TA. And time to read and consider it. If it's not acceptable, send it back. There will be TVM arguments and considerations. Other employees will grumble.

The ONLY difference this time is AA and UAL going through before us. Clearly, we will need to top whatever they achieve.
There is no time value of money. We would never pass a TA without full retro pay.

No need to rush ever.
Quote: ...and the union will naturally want to pass something/anything to keep the ball rolling.
Huh? What leads you to believe this?

That's not the guidance I gave in any of my surveys, and that doesn't align with what I hear from my friends and coworkers.

They didn't cave or rush into a bad AM JV, so I'm hopeful DALPA can wait patiently for the good deal we want and have earned.
Quote: There is no time value of money. We would never pass a TA without full retro pay.

No need to rush ever.
I believe the TVM he is talking about the getting the money invested in our personal accounts growing interest sooner, rather than waiting 1-2 years and while getting the lump sum back pay, all that compounding interest was lost.
Quote: There is no time value of money. We would never pass a TA without full retro pay.

No need to rush ever.
Using that logic we should still be "holding out" for the 1940 contract...at 1939 pay scales.

There is indeed time value of money, as sure as gravity.

There is also "time value of concessions" baked into a hastily agreed to contract.

Of course the trick is finding that ideal spot between those.

No need to rush ever.
Yes there is. And besides, even if you were right, the NMB firmly believes in TVM as I’ve heard board members give speeches about such. And the NMB runs this rodeo.

No need to rush ever.
You live in fantasy land.
Quote: Folks, don't read too much into the openers. They aren't a good indicator of what the final product will be. It will come down to the fact that because we can't take any job action, the company will stall and the union will naturally want to pass something/anything to keep the ball rolling. There will be a TA that doesn't even resemble the opener. We need FULL LANGUAGE IN THE TA. And time to read and consider it. If it's not acceptable, send it back. There will be TVM arguments and considerations. Other employees will grumble.

The ONLY difference this time is AA and UAL going through before us. Clearly, we will need to top whatever they achieve.
Trust me we at AA will not be ahead of you. We will sign ours after yours and probably for the best with it being negotiated by APA...
1  2  3  4  5  6  12  52  102 
Page 2 of 105
Go to