Contract flying

Subscribe
1  2  3  4  5  6  7 
Page 3 of 7
Go to
Quote: FedEx spends millions training a pilot? Are they finding new born babies, feeding and clothing them till they are old enough to get a pilots license. Are they paying for every hour from from 0- feeder airline and multiple degrees from riddle? Are they paying for a type on every plane fedex has? This might get to millions.. but I doubt it, if you’re gonna exaggerate at least make it believable.
Yes I'll concede, individually, it probably isn't millions per pilot.
Quote: And then Management complained/harassed pilots that went on MLA! WT?
That's not how I remembered it. There were guys that were hassled before 4a2b for taking long term MLA, but once 4a2b hit, they were encouraging guys to try to get long term MLA orders from their units. Very bi-polar of them, of course, but none of my friends who took MLOA in the 4a2b times got hassled. They actually got thanked (although the year previous, they got a talking to... go figure).
Quote: I’m using the BS card on this one. Other companies do it.
If were throwing out BS cards, then tell us which other major airlines allow their pilots to work at other commercial flying jobs.
Quote: Ah I see what the problem is. It's not about what the pilot wants, it's all about what FedEx wants.

Strictly my opinion, but if you can't get by on a FedEx pilots salary alone, then you have severely done it wrong. If you want a side hustle, there are much more profitable ways to go about it that don't require flying.
I get by on less than half of my FedEX pay, however they should decide whether I can work else where
Quote: I get by on less than half of my FedEX pay, however they should decide whether I can work else where
Regulated flight time limits add a wrinkle to this argument that makes it go far beyond just a personal choice to load your monthly schedule with non-FedEx flying.

You're a full-time employee at an airline that expects you to be available to fly a normal schedule unless you're on LTD, vaca, training, sick, etc. Adult or not, you have no way of knowing if extra flying you do on the side is going to create an issue at the end of the month when your schedule gets revised and suddenly you have extra block hours you weren't counting on. Same with annual limits. Why do you expect FedEx to ignore potential scenarios that may result in you having to make a phone call to skeds telling them you've timed out?
As a former fighter guy, it sure would be nice to fly about 10 hours a month to do some Adversary support...especially when open time is unavailable and during non peak months. I’ve heard that WN allows their guys to do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote: If were throwing out BS cards, then tell us which other major airlines allow their pilots to work at other commercial flying jobs.
United for certain, currently. American and Delta did, but I don’t know as of today what the policy is. I could ask a handful of folks from the latter if they’re still at Draken, but I’m too lazy.

To be fair, none of them are flying 121 or charter, and none are doing it for money. May be a different discussion.
Quote: Regulated flight time limits add a wrinkle to this argument that makes it go far beyond just a personal choice to load your monthly schedule with non-FedEx flying.

You're a full-time employee at an airline that expects you to be available to fly a normal schedule unless you're on LTD, vaca, training, sick, etc. Adult or not, you have no way of knowing if extra flying you do on the side is going to create an issue at the end of the month when your schedule gets revised and suddenly you have extra block hours you weren't counting on. Same with annual limits. Why do you expect FedEx to ignore potential scenarios that may result in you having to make a phone call to skeds telling them you've timed out?
Timed out? Is that a thing here? I’m just a light twin guy, so this is a genuine curiosity, as I think maybe I’m flying less than other people or something?

I don’t think I could hit a 30 day limit in 90 days. At my current rate, it would take me 3-4 years to hit an annual limit.
Quote: Timed out? Is that a thing here? I’m just a light twin guy, so this is a genuine curiosity, as I think maybe I’m flying less than other people or something?

I don’t think I could hit a 30 day limit in 90 days. At my current rate, it would take me 3-4 years to hit an annual limit.
Yeah, it's a "thing".
30 hours in 7 consecutive days (domestic)
32 in 7 (international)
Probably the two most likely limits encountered by FedEx guys. I blocked out 17 minutes late and flew an extra 20 minutes on the first leg to NRT on a 12-day trip which was all it took to throw my optimized trip out of 32 in 7 limits requiring a major revision (and that was without any outside commercial flying).
Among others, there's also:
100 hours in a calendar month
1000 in 12 calendar months
Quote: United for certain, currently. American and Delta did, but I don’t know as of today what the policy is. I could ask a handful of folks from the latter if they’re still at Draken, but I’m too lazy.

To be fair, none of them are flying 121 or charter, and none are doing it for money. May be a different discussion.
So what kind of extra commercial flying job do these guys at United have that doesn't pay anything? If your not getting paid, are you really employed?
1  2  3  4  5  6  7 
Page 3 of 7
Go to