American or Delta

Subscribe
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 
Page 4 of 12
Go to
Quote: Im only posting this because you asked....I’m top rate A320 Captain. I worked one 2 day premium trip and the rest of the time probably averaged 75-78 hours a month. PS gross was $36,066. Net was $22,700.

I’m sure that’s not enough to offset a leisure drive to work, versus commuting by air. I’d give almost anything to not have to commute.
You could consider a move or is that beyond almost Anything?
Quote: Definitely live in base. A Delta base.
There is absolutely no comparing these airlines at this time. Delta is far and away the premier US Airline. Read the financials. AA debt is staggering, and we are going into a recession most likely. Ask any AA pilot with seniority about how they bid some great trips, and get rescheduled almost every time.
35 yrs AA and have a nephew here as well. Delta.
The big three are to big to fail, the only real threat is carbon taxes. Airlines live by the cash flow, not debt levels, these days all of them are recession proof.
Quote: There is no denying the retirement numbers at AA. I simply feel Doug Parker is running this place into the earth. That, compounded by a recession, could spell some serious pain.
Being so close to ATL says I would pick Delta, as they seriously have their act together operationally and financially. And for the most part, have historically had a board that insists on good leadership . AA- not so much. Many, many ineffective leaders.

Would one of you Delta guys PLEASE give us your profit share numbers so he can see how good that is? And an estimate of what a 777 pilot is pulling in profit sharing.
Thank you!
I was a 1st/2nd year narrowbody FO last year. Our 14% profit sharing was about a $19k pay out for me. Not surprised if WB captains got in the $60-70k range.

That being said... If you just bid a schedule, fly it and go home. Any of the big 3 will be fairly comparable in QOL/pay. Unless you wanted to live a couple hour drive from ATL, AA would make sense for the CLT base.

Some factors to consider being the size of aircraft in a base. Although this is fluid and changes over time. Being in a base that offers a top paying category will be more lucrative over time than a base that doesn't.
If you worked for a AA WO carrier, you know how AA works.

Personally, after working for AAG and now DAL, go to DAL.
Quote: You could consider a move or is that beyond almost Anything?
I wasn’t complaining, SF. I was just adding to the conversation that if given a choice, driving to work for AA would be better than an airplane commute to Delta. Over 32-33 years, driving to work from where someone wants to live is priceless. I’ve got about 10 years left before my kids are in college, then my wife and I are moving, but it still won’t be to a DL base...we are moving to South FL.

I live in a UAL/AA base. When I got hired I was originally based in CVG but as soon as I got off probation, I was going to move to the ATL. I was going to buy a condo in Buckhead ( I was single at the time) and I was going to bid the highest paying aircraft I could hold. I was fully committed. I’d probably be your neighbor right now in Peachtree City, if not for September 11th. I was a month away from getting off probation. By the time I got recalled, I had met my wife and both of our families were in the Chicago area. Now, we are happy here, raising our kids near their grandparents, uncles, aunts, and cousins. Life changes. Family is the one constant in our lives. (If you’re lucky enough)
Quote: I received job offers from both American and Delta, and I am trying to make the most educated choice I can based on my situation. My family and I would prefer to live in Charlotte, but we would also be willing to live near family in Greenville, SC.

If I choose American, I would be living in domicile in Charlotte (eventually) and have the perks associated with that. With DAL, I'd be about a 2.5 hour drive from ATL. I have heard a lot of recommendations to choose the airline that has a domicile where you want to live, but I wanted to get the answer from people who have been there with either company. I know AA also has more growth potential.
Thank you for the help!
Delta.

Even if you lived in an American base Delta would still be better. That’s how bad ‘America West dba American Airlines’ is.
Quote: Why is everyone thinking that a 2.5 hour drive for this guy is not “living in base”?
Because that’s almost 6 hours of driving a week if you only have one trip.
Quote: Because that’s almost 6 hours of driving a week if you only have one trip.
Well dang! You better not tell that to the guys living in Eastern PA and consider that to be living "in base" for LGA/JFK. Or any "normal" person who has 35 minute commute each way each day.
Quote: Where are you going to find a 1.5 year old?

(I mean, as long as we are asking useless questions)
Bravo chap!!! Almost coughed up my fajita reading that
Quote: Well dang! You better not tell that to the guys living in Eastern PA and consider that to be living "in base" for LGA/JFK. Or any "normal" person who has 35 minute commute each way each day.
Yep or people living anywhere in Socal driving 3hrs to LAX in traffic.
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 
Page 4 of 12
Go to