Notices
Major Legacy, National, and LCC

American or Delta

Old 10-08-2019, 10:02 PM
  #71  
Banned
 
Slaphappy's Avatar
 
Joined APC: May 2006
Posts: 1,192
Default

Originally Posted by Baradium View Post
The shear audacity of that statement made me laugh. You really think that the success of a company doesn't have anything to do with the customer experience and that your paycheck and time off have nothing to do with the success of a company?

And no, it's not just that "a job is a job." I've worked jobs where I absolutely hated going to work and ones where I enjoyed being at work. That is a tremendous difference in quality of life just based on how you feel. And that's not even touching on employee relations.

You do sound like you would be right at home in AA management though.
Re-read what I said.
At the end of the day the most important things in a company and your job should be YOU. How much money will YOU make, how good of a job is it for YOU. I roll my eyes when I hear pilots whine about how disappointed they are in the "product" or something along those lines. You need to let the people who's job it is to worry that worry about that and fly the plane.
Slaphappy is offline  
Old 10-08-2019, 10:35 PM
  #72  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Apr 2018
Posts: 1,970
Default

Originally Posted by Slaphappy View Post
Re-read what I said.
At the end of the day the most important things in a company and your job should be YOU. How much money will YOU make, how good of a job is it for YOU. I roll my eyes when I hear pilots whine about how disappointed they are in the "product" or something along those lines. You need to let the people who's job it is to worry that worry about that and fly the plane.
Slaphappy is right. Over the course of your career airline culture and products will change. Don't even worry about it. Just go to work, get paid, go home. Pick the first legacy that calls. Only consider leaving if you absolutely don't want to move and within the first year or two you get hired by a legacy who has a major domicile in your city (even that is risky though).
m3113n1a1 is offline  
Old 10-09-2019, 03:56 AM
  #73  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jul 2014
Posts: 669
Default

Not screening applicants is a surefire way to attract all the yahoos who are unhireable everywhere else. Every regional seems to have a 5-10% population of them. Cat ranchers, the people who make really mundane decisions into overly complicated messes, people who cant pass training without handholding, poor decision makers... that is not who you want to be sharing a cockpit with. Especially with a poor management culture where they are probably going to make rules to reign in the lowest common denominator. One kid poops and everyone has to wear a diaper. I would be worried about where American has been and will be sourcing your coworkers. The delta interview process wasn't fun but was definitely thorough.
Aquaticus is offline  
Old 10-09-2019, 04:05 AM
  #74  
Gets Weekends Off
 
CaYaTeKbron's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2014
Posts: 142
Default

and we don't have those problems at Delta. LOL !!!
CaYaTeKbron is offline  
Old 10-09-2019, 05:41 AM
  #75  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: 7ER B...whatever that means.
Posts: 3,829
Default

Originally Posted by CaYaTeKbron View Post
and we don't have those problems at Delta. LOL !!!
I was thinking the same. We've got a lot of great people here at Delta but make no mistake; we DEFINITELY have our share of weirdos/10 percenters/oddballs/etc too. What's that saying...? "If you don't know who 'that guy' is, it's probably...YOU!" If you don't think we have weirdos at Delta, maybe take a peak in the mirror!
freezingflyboy is offline  
Old 10-09-2019, 05:56 AM
  #76  
Line Holder
 
Slowmover's Avatar
 
Joined APC: May 2017
Position: 737 FO
Posts: 55
Default

I have been at AA for 18 months and I am happy here. It was my first pick due to domiciles (desire to live near DFW) and type of flying (ability to do wide body OR avoid backside of the clock flying... you can't do both!).

After 18 months, I'm 55% in base (not DFW) and holding a good line. I fly 13-15 days a month, mostly two legs a day. The captains I've flown with have, to a person, been good people and competent leaders and aviators. Training was good and I have no real complaints. Sure there are always things that could be better... and they will get better. If you spend your whole career focusing on what you DON'T like then you will never be satisfied.

All that to say to the OP: don't over-think it. You will have a good career at any of these carriers. Take the first call you get and, if one offers a chance to get based where you want to live, jump on it.
Slowmover is offline  
Old 10-09-2019, 07:55 AM
  #77  
You scratched my anchor
 
Al Czervik's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,631
Default

Originally Posted by Slowmover View Post
I have been at AA for 18 months and I am happy here. It was my first pick due to domiciles (desire to live near DFW) and type of flying (ability to do wide body OR avoid backside of the clock flying... you can't do both!).

After 18 months, I'm 55% in base (not DFW) and holding a good line. I fly 13-15 days a month, mostly two legs a day. The captains I've flown with have, to a person, been good people and competent leaders and aviators. Training was good and I have no real complaints. Sure there are always things that could be better... and they will get better. If you spend your whole career focusing on what you DON'T like then you will never be satisfied.

All that to say to the OP: don't over-think it. You will have a good career at any of these carriers. Take the first call you get and, if one offers a chance to get based where you want to live, jump on it.
I think there is a tradition of complaining and *****ing amongst AA pilots (guilty of it myself). Life is veeery good. High 20% in a senior base usually 1 or 2 legs a day (been 6+ months since a 3 leg day) making real good money. Always room for improvement but life is good.
Al Czervik is offline  
Old 10-09-2019, 09:21 AM
  #78  
Gets Weekends Off
 
PRS Guitars's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Dec 2013
Position: A320 F/O
Posts: 1,895
Default

Originally Posted by Al Czervik View Post
I think there is a tradition of complaining and *****ing amongst AA pilots (guilty of it myself). Life is veeery good. High 20% in a senior base usually 1 or 2 legs a day (been 6+ months since a 3 leg day) making real good money. Always room for improvement but life is good.
I agree, I’m happy here (of course I want some QWL improvements). Nameuser mentioned that we (AA) have more negative threads. I believe that is from the history of the group. A lot of folks here have been kicked in the junk during their career. Most would candidly admit that things are pretty good right now, when you look at the big picture. And Im referring to the “job” not AA’s operation, the operation is a CF...but I don’t let that bother me on a personal level.

We have a lot of Delta and SWA Fanboy’s on our internal forum, but I’m pretty sure most of them would be unhappy at DAL and especially SWA as well (SWA because AA guys want to make SWA money without working as hard as SWA pilots).
PRS Guitars is offline  
Old 10-09-2019, 07:35 PM
  #79  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,804
Default

^^^ agree with both posts above.

Just about 20 years at AA so far and life is pretty dang good. Yeah we’ve got a lot of work to do with the contract but a turnaround will happen. Finally in the left seat holding a good line driving to work in base... doesn’t get much better than that.
aa73 is offline  
Old 10-10-2019, 12:48 PM
  #80  
New Hire
 
Joined APC: Dec 2018
Posts: 8
Default

Originally Posted by averageathlete View Post
I received job offers from both American and Delta, and I am trying to make the most educated choice I can based on my situation. My family and I would prefer to live in Charlotte, but we would also be willing to live near family in Greenville, SC.

If I choose American, I would be living in domicile in Charlotte (eventually) and have the perks associated with that. With DAL, I'd be about a 2.5 hour drive from ATL. I have heard a lot of recommendations to choose the airline that has a domicile where you want to live, but I wanted to get the answer from people who have been there with either company. I know AA also has more growth potential.
Thank you for the help!
This is like asking which bear is best and there are several schools of thought on the matter.

1. Is there a hyper loop to your domicile from your residence?

2. If not, then you should live in domicile at AA

Optional step 3: while working at AA, buy stocks at Delta, and then it’s kind of like you are enjoying the best of both worlds.

4. Stop being average.
Stratoflyer09 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Victor Vector
Cargo
165
06-24-2022 08:39 AM
StraightShooter
Endeavor Air
121
06-18-2014 11:02 AM
withthatsaid182
Regional
11
04-01-2010 07:21 PM
ksatflyer
Hangar Talk
10
08-20-2008 10:14 PM
WatchThis!
Mergers and Acquisitions
2
04-14-2008 08:25 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread