UPS 2020 Hiring

Subscribe
18  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  38  78 
Page 28 of 97
Go to
Quote: Cessna,

I work less and make more than my friends at pax haulers. They have some advantages, but on the whole, I am not even slightly envious. Life here can be hard for a commuter as a new hire. However, if you either move to domicile or give it about a year and you will have good quality of life and good money. Fleet does matter, but you can Bid off the Z for better seniority. As a MD guy, formerly in Anchorage and now SDF, life here has been exceptional. Of course, I’m on a growing fleet.
Heard we are getting more than the original 5 that's been announced ...🤙
Quote: Heard we are getting more than the original 5 that's been announced ...🤙
If one were a new hire FO and about to be putting in his/her, as a commuter f/ the west coast I would assume 74 Anc would be a good top choice, followed by md sdf and then maybe 75/6 ont or z maybe?
Quote: Heard we are getting more than the original 5 that's been announced ...🤙

more MD11s? come on 76s
Quote: If one were a new hire FO and about to be putting in his/her, as a commuter f/ the west coast I would assume 74 Anc would be a good top choice, followed by md sdf and then maybe 75/6 ont or z maybe?
commuting from the west coast to Anchorage is a bear, unless you are somewhere within single leg range of Anchorage. I did it very briefly and it sucked. Nothing tops landing after a 10+ hour flight into Anchorage, than rushing to the pax terminal and jockeying for one of a limited number of seats to Seattle. Than hoping you catch the flight from Seattle to your home. It makes for a grueling final day. That said, if you can hold the long trips, you only do it once a month.

ONT, OAK, PDX, and BFI have regular flights into SDF on company iron available. We have a lot of commuters who make it work, but living in domicile makes this a far better job and gives artificial seniority.
Quote: but it is.... we get paid more for soft time occasionally, but our minimum pay per duty period is less. Many times you’ll work more days for less credit. A 3 day trip worth 12 hours?!

having done it all... I tend to think you’re view of our flying is a bit better than it really is and their flying isn’t as bad as you make it sound. Depending on age, location, and length of trips wanted, one should do some unemotional analysis of what airline would serve them best. YMMV
Not sure who “we,” is referring to here? You a UPS guy? We (UPS), well let me say, I, tend to credit 6 hrs / duty day. Turns @ 6 hrs per day, a typical week on week off is 6.3 per day (38hrs/6days). I’m looking at 2 recent 3 day trips (intl) I have, one was 18hrs the other 22 hrs of credit. I‘m going to let Mr. Bob Ross defend his post from here.
Quote: If one were a new hire FO and about to be putting in his/her, as a commuter f/ the west coast I would assume 74 Anc would be a good top choice, followed by md sdf and then maybe 75/6 ont or z maybe?
Hi. You won’t be given the overall choice. They’ll either put you in the heavy class (74&MD) or the 76 and bus. You can then only choose a fleet within each group IF you got enough class seniority to hold what you want. Depending where on the west coast, MD probably a better choice. They fly a lot into ONT and OAK. For the 75 and bus class, again, I think it would depend on where you are commuting from and what you longer term plans are. Example: if you want to get into intl flying then take the 76 and transfer to the Z when you can.

To your previous post, looking at the MD bid pack and which trips I would guess go junior, doesn’t look too commuter friendly but not undoable either. Plus, there are VTO options (vacation and training coverage lines) reserve move up options, and trip trading and dropping options. We are largely a commuter airline.
Quote: Cessna,

I work less and make more than my friends at pax haulers. They have some advantages, but on the whole, I am not even slightly envious. Life here can be hard for a commuter as a new hire. However, if you either move to domicile or give it about a year and you will have good quality of life and good money. Fleet does matter, but you can Bid off the Z for better seniority. As a MD guy, formerly in Anchorage and now SDF, life here has been exceptional. Of course, I’m on a growing fleet.
my only point was that you were arguing as if it’s a clear decision. I can tell you pax haulers have a good deal too. I’ve been at 2 legacies and my wife is at a legacy. I just caution against thinking it’s so much better here and so much worse there... YMMV
Quote: Not sure who “we,” is referring to here? You a UPS guy? We (UPS), well let me say, I, tend to credit 6 hrs / duty day. Turns @ 6 hrs per day, a typical week on week off is 6.3 per day (38hrs/6days). I’m looking at 2 recent 3 day trips (intl) I have, one was 18hrs the other 22 hrs of credit. I‘m going to let Mr. Bob Ross defend his post from here.
i can show you a lot of trips where minimum pay per duty period keep the trip value low. Its great you’re getting higher value trips, but they’re not all like that. I’m saying the contract at the legacies can give you 5 or 6 hours for showing... here (UPS) you can do a 2 day trip and get 8 hours pay. To get a full 75 hours in 28 days, we work more than the legacies. You seemed to argue it’s absolutely clear that UPS is a better place. It’s great you’re happy here... I am too... but I’m very cautious when advising others about their career. People tend to want to justify their decisions, but a logical approach might be more informational to someone trying to make that decision. Enjoy!
Quote: Thanks guys! Going to be commuting so getting a line would be nice.
Be careful what you wish for - reserve lines are typically much better for commuters than junior hard lines. I’ve heard junior lines being referred to as shot-gun lines: 4 on, 2 off, 2 on, 3 off, etc.. Some are almost non-commutable.
Quote: You seemed to argue it’s absolutely clear that UPS is a better place.
Ok, MrBoBRoss made the comment, I posted what point I though he was trying to make. Before attacking me for embellishing our schedules perhaps acquaint yourself with my posting history.
18  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  38  78 
Page 28 of 97
Go to