Why Is Alaska Hiring so many Pilots?

Subscribe
12  18  19  20  21  22  23  24 
Page 22 of 24
Go to
There is a Seattle bus base coming, they are going to close LAX bus base and displace us to Seattle. It saves them training cost, not allowing 73 guys to bid into the airframe. Plus a MX in PDX told us yesterday that they were told to expect a shift out of PDX. They are going to be doing a lot more A checks there on the bus, that 80% of flying out of PDX will be on the bus.
Watch the videos on Alaskasworld from the company meeting. They detail a lot of this stuff. I don’t believe it but a lot of it jives with what has been mentioned here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I suggest familiarization with Section 24. If this was to happen that is not how it would go down. In my opinion the SEA A320 base will never open.
Quote: There is a Seattle bus base coming, they are going to close LAX bus base and displace us to Seattle. It saves them training cost, not allowing 73 guys to bid into the airframe. Plus a MX in PDX told us yesterday that they were told to expect a shift out of PDX. They are going to be doing a lot more A checks there on the bus, that 80% of flying out of PDX will be on the bus.
That is not how it works. If they open SEA A320 base, everyone can bid it, based on seniority people will hold it. The training alone on that bid would probably cause 6-9 months of negative growth.
The sim and building in Burlingame were renewed for another 4-5 years. All legacy airbus training management has been forced out. That to me is further indication that they are simply limping the frame along till their lease obligations expire. In the mean time trying to use the dual fleet as a bargaining chip against both the manufacturers and labor group. I’m sure that the hotel rates at the Interurban and Hilton are far cheaper then opening up a base. In the meantime we can enjoy multi day trips with extended sits. Fortunately for us we are not contractual obligated to be contactable while away from base. No favors no waivers fly the contract.
Quote: Lets see, Jan 2019, no June of '19, no August of '19, ok Dec of '19, no Jan of '19...... I would suspect there is still a 50/50 chance it comes out the 29th. If not my best guess would be Mar '19.
March is pretty close to July. 🤷🏻‍♂️😏

Boeing delays 737 Max return to July

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-51200118
Quote: Every other merged airline who had mixed narrowbodies chose to keep both in the end. Alaska management, on the other hand, has decided to try to put the toothpaste back into the tube. It's concerning at the very least.
Oh, like Southwest/Airtran?? hmm 🤔
Quote: Oh, like Southwest/Airtran?? hmm 🤔
Let me point out the obvious key differences:
  1. Southwest had not taken possession / was not operating the B717 at the time they were leased to Delta. Alaska has integrated A320 flight training, maintenance, and operations into their system.
  2. Southwest retained ownership of the B717s and is earning revenue on the leases to Delta. Alaska is returning the aircraft as leases expire. In some cases, early with penalty.
  3. The B717 and A320/B737 have different missions: One is a small, short range regional, the other is a medium-haul 150+ seat narrowbody.
  4. AirTran had 52 737s that it brought with it to the merger. If Alaska dumps the A320s, then they spent 4 billion on basically nothing.
My point stands, every merged airline that had mixed, medium-haul, narrowbody fleets ran the numbers and decided to keep both in the end. Only Alaska thinks it's better to put the toothpaste back into the tube.
Quote: March is pretty close to July. 🤷🏻‍♂️😏

Boeing delays 737 Max return to July

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-51200118
Ring ring, hello EASA? Hey this is the FAA. Can you please do a simultaneous approval with us now? No? Pleaseeee? No? Ok you need til the Summer to do your own special tests? Oh, you hate Trump? Ok. Ok, summer it is. Thank you!

Ring ring, hello CAAC? How’s the weather in Beijing? This is the FAA. Say, can you do a simultaneous approval with us? Oh, not sure we can get Trump to do something about tariffs, umm.......
Quote: AirTran had 52 737s that it brought with it to the merger. If Alaska dumps the A320s, then they spent 4 billion on basically nothing.
Are you suggesting that Virgin only had value because they had A320s?
12  18  19  20  21  22  23  24 
Page 22 of 24
Go to