End of 2021 salary survey

Subscribe
6  46  52  53  54  55  56  57  58  59  60  66 
Page 56 of 72
Go to
Quote: I was just referring to a pilot contributing the most that they can do. which for this year is $19,500. And yeah I guess if you’re an old fart you can contribute more.

I was just adding the two numbers up.

(company DC + Pilots contributions = total.)
well if you are 40, and made 290k and the company put in 46,400, your personal contribution is now limited to 11,600.

or if you put in 19,500 the company can only put in 38,500.
Quote: well if you are 40, and made 290k and the company put in 46,400, your personal contribution is now limited to 11,600.

or if you put in 19,500 the company can only put in 38,500.
I think you’re saying the same thing. I think it’s understood that in most contracts the excess comes back in cash in one way or another.
Quote: as far as the 401(k) not even close.

you said Legacy.

a legacy pilot is getting a 15-16% DC depending on the airline.

lets say a top captain making $350,000 at 15%

is $52,500 plus the IRS limit ($19,500) of what they contribute is $72,000.

heck even a top Spirit captain this year, can put more away in their 401(k) than that range you mentioned.
The DC at all the majors is what I try to tell guys at NetJets about and to understand just how much better it is. Almost everyone just compares the 401K and company match to people they know who aren't pilots and get a worse deal. I honestly don't think most believe me when I tell them that our 56%, or whatever it is currently, match is peanuts. We have to max our own money to get anywhere near what all the majors just deposit in the DC before any 401K contributions. We had to add another way to get retirement funds that is still just us self funding it- 1/3 of our FDP (extra flight pay) goes into our 401K as a DC, but it is our own money that we only make when we fly a lot. Most of us had a banner year last year, but we have a lot more to improve to be on par with the majors. No DC fund is a big reason so many pilots work into their 70s at NetJets. I am constantly shocked at how many captains don't even max out their 401K to get the company match. Those dudes aren't retiring until they medical out.
Quote: The DC at all the majors is what I try to tell guys at NetJets about and to understand just how much better it is. Almost everyone just compares the 401K and company match to people they know who aren't pilots and get a worse deal. I honestly don't think most believe me when I tell them that our 56%, or whatever it is currently, match is peanuts. We have to max our own money to get anywhere near what all the majors just deposit in the DC before any 401K contributions. We had to add another way to get retirement funds that is still just us self funding it- 1/3 of our FDP (extra flight pay) goes into our 401K as a DC, but it is our own money that we only make when we fly a lot. Most of us had a banner year last year, but we have a lot more to improve to be on par with the majors. No DC fund is a big reason so many pilots work into their 70s at NetJets. I am constantly shocked at how many captains don't even max out their 401K to get the company match. Those dudes aren't retiring until they medical out.
the divorces don’t help either when she takes your money and your Miata.
Quote: the divorces don’t help either when she takes your money and your Miata.
You NEVER give up the Miata in a divorce.
Quote: You NEVER give up the Miata in a divorce.
If there was a Miata in my garage, it was hers to begin with.
Quote: If there was a Miata in my garage, it was hers to begin with.

Sounds like an amazing woman.
… that would have been your first mistake. Miata Is Always The Answer
Ah, a woman that truly knows her sports cars!

That was freaking funny! Well done!
6  46  52  53  54  55  56  57  58  59  60  66 
Page 56 of 72
Go to