You know what grinds my gears....

Subscribe
2  42  48  49  50  51  52 
Page 52 of 52
Go to
Quote: I've actually thought about this, and there is a pretty significant difference--two significant differences in fact.

1. He is giving you more specific details. "Follow the 737 exiting ramp 3." He is NOT saying "follow the 737"...and leaving it at that, for you to decipher. (There was that time the ORD controller told me to "follow the United Airbus"; I replied, "which of the three that are about to pass me should I follow?").

2. Biggest difference is that you the pilots are looking forward and can SEE the traffic the controller is tellling you to follow, and any other traffic for that matter. That is a whole lot different than trying to use the tug driver as your eyes, who did not hear one word of the clearance that the ramp controller gave you.
As fangs said, you are not responsible for what happens during the pushback as long as the instructions are followed by the crew.
Quote: As fangs said, you are not responsible for what happens during the pushback as long as the instructions are followed by the crew.
Everything in your replies and others is correct...but I still hate the system. I also hate, which you hear outside of the US, "after landing traffic, line up and wait." I hate that, and think it is not in our best safety interest. In fact, in the United States you will never hear that, because the FAA forbids it. But Europe does not.

So...we adapt, acknowledge the "less than ideal" setup, and deal with it. That doesn't mean that it can't be improved.
Quote: Everything in your replies and others is correct...but I still hate the system. I also hate, which you hear outside of the US, "after landing traffic, line up and wait." I hate that, and think it is not in our best safety interest. In fact, in the United States you will never hear that, because the FAA forbids it. But Europe does not.

So...we adapt, acknowledge the "less than ideal" setup, and deal with it. That doesn't mean that it can't be improved.
Certainly agree with that.
2  42  48  49  50  51  52 
Page 52 of 52
Go to