Class B- when do YOU slow down?

Subscribe
1  2  3  4  5 
Page 1 of 6
Go to
On my company pilot forum the topic of "when to slow" has been brought up. Obviously the MAX is 250IAS. This is not the topic of discussion. Do you slow on your own or do you maintain 250 until advised otherwise?

Personally I maintain 250 until advised or given an approach clearance. We have many guys who slow to 215 or so on their own and the topic has been raised of when to slow and where a reference to it is located.
I think it really depends on whether you want to get there or get paid.
320 above 10K (example is DEN) and 250 below 10K unless otherwise instructed. Make sure I slow enough to configure per our SOP and try not to get any Pax sick. Other than that let the good times role, make as much money as possible and don't screw your Pax or the company (unless they deserve it, wink wink MAG! ).
Larger/busier cities approach will give you speed assignments, if it isn't already depicted on your arrival route. Smaller cities, or larger cities during non-peak times, do whatever you want. 250 is the max obviously.
Are you talking class B airspace? There is no speed limit in class B that I'm aware of, just the 250 below 10. As far as your question goes my general rule of thumb is to be at an airspeed where I can get some flaps in to get myself slowed down. In the RJ I shoot for 215 by about 10-15 miles depending on altitude that I have to lose.
Quote: On my company pilot forum the topic of "when to slow" has been brought up. Obviously the MAX is 250IAS. This is not the topic of discussion. Do you slow on your own or do you maintain 250 until advised otherwise?

Personally I maintain 250 until advised or given an approach clearance. We have many guys who slow to 215 or so on their own and the topic has been raised of when to slow and where a reference to it is located.

How long is the final today?
Quote: Are you talking class B airspace? There is no speed limit in class B that I'm aware of, just the 250 below 10. As far as your question goes my general rule of thumb is to be at an airspeed where I can get some flaps in to get myself slowed down. In the RJ I shoot for 215 by about 10-15 miles depending on altitude that I have to lose.
Correct, people make this mistake all the time, especially in DEN where the class B extends well above 10K. I’ve seen many pilots level at 10K when departing DEN and stay at 250, this has caused problems seeing other pilots “drop the hammer” and run right up their asses.

There is no restriction in class B unless otherwise instructed or you're below 10K which is 250, obviously.
I thought the max speed in Bravo was Mach 1?!?!
So let's say you're going to Dallas, and the controller says she's going to vector you outside of Class B for a few seconds, and there will also be a shelf of Class B above you. Do you slow to 200?
Depends on the situation, I usually do 250 until assigned differently, but if they are giving visuals, I usually slow to 210 on the downwind in case they give me the base in front of the marker.
1  2  3  4  5 
Page 1 of 6
Go to