How to deal with a control freak?

Subscribe
1  2  3  4  5  6 
Page 5 of 6
Go to
I am a little late too this thread, but here is how I deal with that situation. I tell the Captain that I would have no problem flying the airplane his way. I have to learn how to fly it his way, so he needs to be patient while I am relearning how to fly. I also tell him that since I am relearning how to fly I am more prone to making a mistake. Now you have to stay on your toes without relaxing to catch that mistake I am sure to make. The next word out of his mouth is usually, " ok do it your way."

The rest of the trip usually goes without a hitch and he has more respect for you since you handled the situation in a nonconfrontational manner.
agreed just hand him the aircraft and let him fly the entire trip you get paid the same rather you fly or not. The new generation is all about being mr airline captain and forgetting where they cam from
meeko031..if it makes you feel any better (and it probably won`t) we`ve all been there. This is a character builder.....
Quote: I flew with one of those just the other day. I kinda made a joke out of it and called him "Captain Micro" a few times. When he asked why I called him that I told him it was because he micro manages too much. I don't fly like him so either fly the legs or let me fly. I'm not just some voice activated autopilot system. The rest of the 4 day anytime he'd start micromanaging I'd just call him captain micro and he'd back off. He'd say something like "well I don't really care but there are other captains who do and they'll snap at you". I wouldn't respond back to that but in the back of my mind I'd be thinking that if there is I sure haven't met him or anyone close.

Ever notice how a CA always uses the "To me it's no big deal... but.."

For your situation I advise to call him Capt. Micro, avoid his employee number, or simply say that you aren't challenging his authority you're flying the plane how you'd like to and unless he can show you where you're doing something wrong then you'll keep doing it. Tell him he's f'ing with your mojo and making you fly like crap because you're having to focus on him more than the aircraft and the situation at hand.\

Then wait till he's making a bad landing and ask the tower for lower lol.
I tried this technique today and it backfired badly. My IOE capt. got even worse
Quote: This technique is only to be used with aforementioned irritating micromanaging captain...comprende? He obviously can't just fly the plane...that's why he posted his problem on this board. Read. Breathe. Repeat.

It amuses me to see that you somehow thought I was attacking you. Maybe you should "read. breath. repeat"
I in no way intended my post to be against you, just giving a little info on an experience I had.
I agree with what you say that this could be used with the captain mentioned but relax man, it was nothing against you.
Quote: I tried this technique today and it backfired badly. My IOE capt. got even worse
uh oh. what happened?
Quote: uh oh. what happened?
Sounded to me like a joke!
Probally not a good Idea to do this to an IOE Capt. Especially since your fate of getting on the line depends on his signature.
IOE is a time to learn anyway isn't it?
Quote: Sounded to me like a joke!
oh. hehe. Sorry, I'm still fuming from the other thread so all my other senses are dulled.
Quote: oh. hehe. Sorry, I'm still fuming from the other thread so all my other senses are dulled.
Fuming?! That oughta heighten your senses dude...you should be SUPERseatownflyer
1  2  3  4  5  6 
Page 5 of 6
Go to