Are F/Os really scum?

Subscribe
6  7  8  9  10  11  12 
Page 10 of 12
Go to
Quote: Not talking about NonReving...talking about getting a seat in the back....not necessary to check in with the captain because the flight deck crew is usually very busy trying to quick turn the airplane.

It is a professional courtesy but also if the crew looks busy it is much more professional to not bother them.

My 02 cents.
What looks more professional, just taking a seat in the back without checking in, or having to gather up your things and doing the "walk of shame," after the captain kicks you off for not checking in.

Just a word of caution if you jumpseat on Delta. If the agent gives you a seat in the back you better check in or you will be watching the plane depart without you. While there are a few captains who don't care, there are a lot more captains who do.

As for the guy not introducing himself, there are always a few like that at every airline. As an FO though, there is no law that precludes you from introducing yourself to the jumpseater, no need to wait for them to make the first move. Be assertive.
Jumpseat Etiquette Question...
If you package yourself up in a large cardboard box, and ship yourself UPS/FEDEX/DHL, and ride in the cargo hold, should you still introduce yourself to the Captain?

Is it ok to wait until you are airborne to do so?

Thanks for the help.
Quote: If you package yourself up in a large cardboard box, and ship yourself UPS/FEDEX/DHL, and ride in the cargo hold, should you still introduce yourself to the Captain?

Is it ok to wait until you are airborne to do so?

Thanks for the help.
I guess there's gotta be one in every bunch....................
Quote: A few months back I had to ride the jumpseat on mainline trying to get to CVG to work. I introduce myself to the crew and present my stuff. The CA looks at my sruff with kind of a pi##ed of look on his face. The conversation went something like this.

CA: "I really don't give two shi*s about Comair"
ME: "Neither do I, so can I have a ride "
CA: "Welcome aboard!"

Well done. Mission accomplished.
Quote: Well done. Mission accomplished.
Wicked thread revival....
Quote: I don't want them to talk to me. All I want is a little courtesy.
You could give curtsy instead like a boss:

And if that still doesn't work, you can tell your CA and JSer:

Quote: I don't want them to talk to me. All I want is a little courtesy.

And when it comes to the above post about the capt approving the jumpseat, thats not how it works at my airline. If the cabin is full, and you're in CASS, you've got a ride in the j/s, no questions asked. Actually, in this case, with this guy being DL, he would be permitted in the j/s even if the cabin weren't full.
Your captain has no say? Seriously?
Quote: Your captain has no say? Seriously?
Not sure which airline the guy you’re responding to works for, but I got the impression at mine that technically the captain could deny the J/S but the rest of the company/union would think they were a colossal jerk for doing so. There’d need to be a really solid reason.
Quote:
Just a word of caution if you jumpseat on Delta. If the agent gives you a seat in the back you better check in or you will be watching the plane depart without you. While there are a few captains who don't care, there are a lot more captains who do.
I think your being a little dramatic....

Whether those Captains care because of:

A. I’m the Captain and they must kiss the ring.

B. They want to know who is back there in the case of an emergency.

The FOM doesn’t say they need to check in. I’m guessing we are given that guidance for a reason. I would recommend checking in as a jump seater but leaving someone for not doing so is incorrect.

Honestly, most of the guys that fit into A. from above would have a re-education conversation before they left someone behind.
Pretty sure the guy in question worked for COMAIR! That’s how old this thread is. Things have changed a little in the TEN YEARS since this thread started.
6  7  8  9  10  11  12 
Page 10 of 12
Go to