Military Competency to Flight Instructor

Subscribe
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  14 
Page 4 of 15
Go to
Approved!!

MCI Test Military Competency Instructor Sheppard Air Flight Test 4.0 Prep Software ATP, Flight Engineer, Mil Comp - FAA Airline Transport Pilot
Life is GOOD.
Can someone help with this question? If I am a multi-engine IP in the AF (without ever doing single engine IP duties) what rating would I get with the FAA? Would I get an MEI with a CFII (but not get a CFI). Is there such a thing as a CFII without a CFI? Or, does an MEI rating "assume" a CFII?
Quote: Can someone help with this question? If I am a multi-engine IP in the AF (without ever doing single engine IP duties) what rating would I get with the FAA? Would I get an MEI with a CFII (but not get a CFI). Is there such a thing as a CFII without a CFI? Or, does an MEI rating "assume" a CFII?
My understanding is that you'd be MEI CFI/II but would have to take an FAA checkride in a single engine category to get SE CFI/II
Quote: I live in a major fleet center, and we lose a naval aviator or two to GA every couple of years...

Why is Georgia killing our pilots???
Quote: Can someone help with this question? If I am a multi-engine IP in the AF (without ever doing single engine IP duties) what rating would I get with the FAA? Would I get an MEI with a CFII (but not get a CFI). Is there such a thing as a CFII without a CFI? Or, does an MEI rating "assume" a CFII?
The commonly used designations (CFI, CFII, MEI) are a bit misleading...

The actual categories are:

CFI Airplane: This can be SE or ME or both. Based on your military IP background, you would get a CFI-Airplane ME, aka "MEI". You would need to train and do a checkride to get the SE CFI, aka "CFI".

CFI Instrument Airplane (aka "CFII"): This is good for ANY airplane that you hold commercial a rating in, so you could teach instruments in a ASEL or AMEL, although there are some additional requirements for time-in-type for twins.
Quote: Why is Georgia killing our pilots???
I hope they catch the killers.
Two interesting things from the FAQ on Sheppard:

Quote:
#3 Can I renew my flight instructor certificate with my military Instructor Pilot checkride (instead of doing the online renewal course or other methods)?
Answer: Yes. Link

Quote:
#7 Can I use my military physical to fly civilian aircraft?
Answer: Yes. Link

So, all I need to do is provide the FAA with a copy of my Form 8 to retain currency? And I can fly civilian planes using my AF 1042? Sounds too good to be true.
I've never heard that you could use your military flight physical to fly civilian planes. I mean I still had to get my 1st Class (@ $180) even though I had my Class 1 flight physical the month prior. Until recently a military flight surgeon couldn't give anything other than a 3rd Class (at least any that I have asked or encountered) FINALLY last week I found out that one of our Reserve Flight Surgeons is now qualified to give 1st Class medicals! FINALLY!

USMCFLYR
Semantics
USMC:

"Civilian Flying" on a miiltary medical = flying a General Aviation aircraft, not for hire.

So, you could use your mil medical = 3rd class to take the family someplace in a C-172.

The irony is, every military medical I've ever had was much more thorough than the civilian counterpart.

According to both a Navy and an Air Force Flight Doc I've spoken with on the subject, it is purely political. A secret-handshake between the Pentagon and FAA...."protecting" the job security of the MEs who do Class 1s and 2s.
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  14 
Page 4 of 15
Go to