Realistic Recall for UAL 07/08 Hires

Subscribe
1  2  3  4  5  6 
Page 2 of 9
Go to
Has there been any word on which Training Center will be the surviving entity when all the dust settles and the airlines get combined? Will it be Tex-Mex in IAH or free cookies at the Doubletree in DEN?
Quote: Work rule restoration alone will bring back all furloughees that want to come back. Scope restoration and the new narrow body flying that WILL be added (#1 issue of board of directors - "...cannot be world's leading airline flying domestically in a contracted regional jet...") will bring brand new hires in 2011.

Right in line with what I am thinking.
Quote: Has there been any word on which Training Center will be the surviving entity when all the dust settles and the airlines get combined? Will it be Tex-Mex in IAH or free cookies at the Doubletree in DEN?
I really don't see how they can do ALL of it in 1 place...even DAL has more than 1 facility....ATL and MSP...last I knew.
Quote: I really don't see how they can do ALL of it in 1 place...even DAL has more than 1 facility....ATL and MSP...last I knew.

I agree. The 737 infrastructure is in place at the IAH training center with FTDs and sims. It would make sense to keep the facility in Mecca open.
I was hired at United in January of 2000. I have a small printing business and offered to pay out of my pocket to send a questioaire to the furloughed United pilots to ask how many would come back right away and how many would defer it, I was told no. My guess is that less than half would come back right away, and the number might be even lower for those that would go to Continental. Last time I bypassed for a year followed by a 90 leave of absence and then returned. This time it will depend on the economy. I don't know what the capacity is of the training departments is, but I wouldn't think that either one alone could accomodate over 100 pilots per month.
Oncea57Cap and Contrail67:

I hope you both are correct on your optimistic timeline for the UA furloughees. I'm a 2008 new-hire furloughee and look forward to returning to the newly merged United.
Do either of you know if longevity/seniority would accrue for a pilot that bypasses recall due to military commitment even though I was still on probation when furloughed and I assume will still be on probation when I return?
Thanks.

Thunder1
I fit into the '07/'08 UAL newhire as well. I feel we may be back next summer, there are so many things that should be working in our favor. A new contract with greater staffing needed, an expanding ecomony resulting in greater capacity, hopefully an upcoming narrow body order, and greater scope along with management's ability to see the high cost of the RJ's.

I also think many of our twice burned furloughees will take advantage of their 10 year recall protection. That is a big unknown, but 50% returning at the first opportunity maybe? The other big what if is the early retirements. I think many in the over 60 crowd are waiting out the merger to see if there is any monetary benefit.

Might just be my self serving prophecy, but my opinion recalls starting this fall/winter and big numbers.
Quote: Oncea57cap, where do you get your information? It sounds too optimistic to me but I hope you are right.
oncea57cap lives just north of the Orange County Airport in a place called Fantasyland.
Quote: oncea57cap lives just north of the Orange County Airport in a place called Fantasyland.
Kinda thing people said when I said this -http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/cal-ual-merger/52295-new-united-assumes-70-seat-plus-scope-2.html#post845500
Quote: Oncea57Cap and Contrail67:

I hope you both are correct on your optimistic timeline for the UA furloughees. I'm a 2008 new-hire furloughee and look forward to returning to the newly merged United.
Do either of you know if longevity/seniority would accrue for a pilot that bypasses recall due to military commitment even though I was still on probation when furloughed and I assume will still be on probation when I return?
Thanks.

Thunder1
Yes, longevity and seniority accrue for you while on mil leave, but the point is kinda moot since longevity will be restored for all furloughees when the JCBA is complete this fall.
1  2  3  4  5  6 
Page 2 of 9
Go to