FedEx is hiring instructors

Subscribe
1  2  3  4 
Page 2 of 4
Go to
Quote: 19 work days in a four month bid, 23 work days on a 5 month bid. Most days are about 6.5 hours.

I suspect he means 4 week bid and 5 week bid?
Yeah, weeks, sorry.
I'm not following how that breaks down. 19 work weeks in 4 months?
Quote: I'm not following how that breaks down. 19 work weeks in 4 months?
4 week month (28 days) = 19 work days
5 week month (35 days) = 23 work days

Signed,
Master of the Obvious
Much more clear... thanks
Quote: 19 work days in a four month bid, 23 work days on a 5 month bid. Most days are about 6.5 hours.

Does that mean that all days are 6.5 hrs? Or, just work days?
Quote: Well, I won't venture to take a guess on your background, but I spent 10 years on active duty moving to and living in places I didn't like and gave up a spot at the top of the food chain as a Major and fighter instructor pilot so I could move back to Alaska permanently. Now I'm an HH-60G co-pilot and am on temp AGR orders and I'm happier than I ever was "at the top" in my previous life. Sorry if that's not a good enough reason to not want to uproot my family to live in another place I'd hate.
Thanks for the judgement though! Always nice to know I can come here and get piled-on by people who know how to live my life better than I do!
Here's how I read your response:
I don't want to move to Memphis on the "chance" I will be employed by one of the best companies/airlines in the world. I know I would be home every night so my wife and kids wouldn't miss me, but still, $60,000 a year. I'm worth more than that.
Don't try to guess my background. You couldn't comprehend that someone would voluntarily put themselves and their family through all I went through just for the chance at a dream.

I hate to generalize but here goes.
There are two types of people in the military.

The first is proud to have the opportunity to serve their country. They are grateful for the exceptional training they received and appreciate the fact it was accompanied by a fair pay check. They understand that family separations and deployments are the necessary cost of freedom. They are generally quiet and serve for the greater good; they don't feel they are entitled to anything.

The second group serves to further their own agenda. Free pilot training and a good paycheck are nice, but deployments interfere with their lives (although they can be a good excuse to drink and ***** around.) When a better opportunity presents itself, they resign or retire. They are usually loud and like to remind people of their service. They continue to use their cute little nicknames, reference their old planes in their avatars/screen names/lanyards/bumper stickers/license plates/ etc. They feel they are "owed something" in perpetuity as appreciation for their service.

We have both types here at FedEx. I won't ascribe percentages, gut I would say the majority fall into the first group (I'm optimistic.)

Try to guess which group I would put you in.
Quote: What is it with the current generation that they won't move for a job or perform work that is "beneath" them. Entitlement mentality?

Good grief Baron,
Your take on Hawg's initial remarks seem to be a little out of left field. I didn't get any insinuation that he felt the job was beneath him or entitled to anything. He just said he couldn't apply for the job because moving wasn't an option he wanted to consider. He didn't even discuss salary or what he felt he was worth - the salary reference came from someone else.

Did an A-10 driver steal your best girl in another life or something?
Quote: Good grief Baron,
Your take on Hawg's initial remarks seem to be a little out of left field. I didn't get any insinuation that he felt the job was beneath him or entitled to anything. He just said he couldn't apply for the job because moving wasn't an option he wanted to consider. He didn't even discuss salary or what he felt he was worth - the salary reference came from someone else.

Did an A-10 driver steal your best girl in another life or something?
You're right. I may have read too much into the "top of the food chain fighter instructor" comment and perceived a smugness that probably wasn't there. End of a long miserable trip and I think my period is starting.

Sorry AK Hawg...you're probably a great guy. Thanks for serving.
Quote: I hate to generalize but here goes.
That's when I stopped reading
1  2  3  4 
Page 2 of 4
Go to