Metro Pilots Needed - KCVG

Subscribe
4  5  6  7  8  9  10 
Page 8 of 10
Go to
Quote: I am sure an old Lear is probably harder to fly than a Metro.
Given my time in an old Lear, I will concede that point for people over 6 feet tall, otherwise, no.
A Lear is harder than a Metro. The 20 series Lear was supposed to be single pilot and the FAA said absolutely not. It takes 2 pilots to handle an older Lear. 2 pilots in a Metro would have given it a much better reputation historically.
You flew the Metro?
Been a few years now but I have some hours in Merlins. I have flown in the Metro a few times and it is basically the same plane. The Metro is overrated IMO. Everyone says it is crazy and will bite you, because they are echoing what other people say. Metros aren't falling out of the sky, and more people were canned from AMF due to gross pilot error (like landing gear up) than getting bit by a Metroism...
Quote: Wow. You seem to have a pretty strong understanding of how the plane operates for someone who has never flown it...
Thanks, you put me in my place there. When I say reputation, what I mean is the factual accident history is poor. If NTSB makes a probable cause finding or the FAA issues an AD on a problem aircraft, is the process to go out and thousands of hours in one first? No, they talk to the pilots and the mechanics, and zero hours are logged by the agency. There are a lot of incidents with runway excursions and system failures with this airplane, and I happen to have been in a position to talk at length to a bunch of the pilots for a fairly large fleet of them. Age of the Metro fleet, design of the aircraft, and maintenance issues are the main reasons I get. Pilot error is there too, but it comes later in the chain and is probably at least partially induced by (poor) human factor aspects of the airplane.
Quote: Been a few years now but I have some hours in Merlins. I have flown in the Metro a few times and it is basically the same plane. The Metro is overrated IMO. Everyone says it is crazy and will bite you, because they are echoing what other people say. Metros aren't falling out of the sky, and more people were canned from AMF due to gross pilot error (like landing gear up) than getting bit by a Metroism...
That's funny, I don't even care why you think the Lear is harder. I have my own experience and can speak for myself (kind of like my experience at AMF, which you can't stand either).

In the end, I got what I wanted out of that question.
A thread is not completely successful until everyone is totally irked at everyone else. A couple more posts and we'll have this one wrapped up!
Quote:
All told, I enjoy flying the metro. It's fast, it has long legs and when it is light weight you can practially stop it on a dime. Or at least in only a couple thousand feet.
On a completely unrelated note, the Enterprise is a little over 800 feet long, according to Wikipedia. Just thought you'd like to know.
Quote: A thread is not completely successful until everyone is totally irked at everyone else. A couple more posts and we'll have this one wrapped up!
Yeah, well, you're a poopy head. :-)
Quote: All told, I enjoy flying the metro. It's fast, it has long legs and when it is light weight you can practially stop it on a dime. Or at least in only a couple thousand feet.
Quote: On a completely unrelated note, the Enterprise is a little over 800 feet long, according to Wikipedia. Just thought you'd like to know.
And that isn't the landing area !
4  5  6  7  8  9  10 
Page 8 of 10
Go to