Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Metro Pilots Needed - KCVG

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 03:26 PM
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2013

Originally Posted by Cubdriver View Post
And would you rather sit in a different hotel suite than the same crew house set up with your stuff in it?
Yes, I would rather sit in an Embassy Suites, drink free beer and enjoy electrical power, lights that work, a shower that isn't disgusting, a bed that isn't from Goodwill, sheets that aren't 40 years old, wifi, HDTV and a car that isn't a 1994 Geo Metro without working AC or heat.

I don't need, nor feel the need to set up my stuff anywhere, as I get so much time off, I don't need a home away from home. Besides I tried to infect as little of my stuff as possible, with whatever covered the AMF crew apartments. West coast crew apartments are like the Burbank Ratmada, without housekeeping. Let that sink in
Old 09-18-2014, 03:55 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2007
Position: single pilot cargo, turboprop

Originally Posted by morerightrudder View Post
Not everyone has the interpersonal skills to deal with passengers and work in a multi-crew 121 CRM environment. Some folks may have issues with their medical or FAA record that preclude working for the airlines.

Just throwing out a couple more reasons why...
The whole "lack of people skills" would apply to less than 10 percent of the guys I've worked with at AMF, and even a couple guys within that 10 percent surprised me by getting airline jobs anyway.

I've seen more guys held up by lack of a college degree.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:02 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: Sleeping in the black swan’s nest.

ever fly a plane that was harder than a Metro? I'd be interested to know what it was.
I flew a Lockheed Lodestar single pilot for a short time. Not as complicated but was definitely more challenging to fly especially in weather and could be a handful in a crosswind. Also wouldn't take ice AT ALL.

I've never flown an MU-2 but have heard it was more dangerous. The Metro/Merlin is without a doubt in the top 2 of the most complicated, unreliable, poorly designed, quirky, twin engine turbo props ever certified.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:20 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: the right side

Originally Posted by own nav View Post
Right, so, one of those things, you pay the price for the early upgrade, then, when you get more seniority, you bid for what you want.

It takes a whole year to hold a Metro line at my base. *gasp*

On the other hand, most new hires I know are pretty gung ho about logging hours. In which case, they may actually be happier in CVG than in a base like mine with a lot of days where you won't even break 2 block hours.
Ain't nobody "happy" in CVG, but that's the system. Don't really want lifers, just people to chew up for a year, keeping the ball rolling.

And assuming you can even bid out of CVG, which may or may not be able to happen, based on how the seniority system "works"
Old 09-18-2014, 05:06 PM
Banned

Joined APC: Jul 2012

If you want QOL, you're better off at a regional.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:11 PM
Banned

Joined APC: Nov 2013

Originally Posted by Airhoss View Post
I flew a Lockheed Lodestar single pilot for a short time. Not as complicated but was definitely more challenging to fly especially in weather and could be a handful in a crosswind. Also wouldn't take ice AT ALL.

I've never flown an MU-2 but have heard it was more dangerous. The Metro/Merlin is without a doubt in the top 2 of the most complicated, unreliable, poorly designed, quirky, twin engine turbo props ever certified.
the mewtoo is sfar. meaning you need a type just to fly it even though its below 12,500. it has spoilers so people kept killing themselves in it.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:00 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2011
Position: AT802

I fly a rice rocket a little, but a B-18 is the only airplane that ever really scared me.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:38 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: Sleeping in the black swan’s nest.

Originally Posted by dustrpilot View Post
I fly a rice rocket a little, but a B-18 is the only airplane that ever really scared me.
I've heard the old twin Beech was a handful.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:53 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2009

Originally Posted by Beech90 View Post
If you want QOL, you're better off at a regional.
Or Aerial Survey.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:01 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2006
Position: A320

$40,000 in 2014 has the same buying power as $24,000 in 1994.

What did you used to get paid when you flew it Airhoss? I don't know if it was 1994 or not, but the fact remains that Ameriflight is paying lousy wages for a very busy airplane.

I've done the Part 135 night freight thing too and I agree it will make you sharper than you've ever been, but it seems the risk isn't worth the reward in this instance.

I'm past the point of having to prove my mettle but if that gets butts in the seats at Ameriflight then so be it. I'd rather make more than someone fueling me if I had to fly that old sewer tube through thick and thin. If you want to feel manly lift weights or grow a beard instead.