Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Metro Pilots Needed - KCVG

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 04:16 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2013

Originally Posted by beech1980 View Post
I went the AMFLIGHT way and I liked it! I was there when they paid you for anything extra and I was fortunately appreciated when I was there. Its a good place to go and get Turbine PIC and a decent QOL. I probably would't be where I am now if i would have gone the 121 route after instructing.... its all a crap shoot.
When did you go through?
The AMF of yesterday has very little in common with the AMF of today.
That said, some weirdos still like it today.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:36 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007

Originally Posted by Airhoss View Post
I don't think you are "missing" anything. My only point was that it takes an honest to god hard working, no kidding, stick, rudder and seriously hard wired instrument pilot to do the single pilot Metro stuff.

The RJ stuff is definitely a more comfortable way to make a living. No doubt about it!
Not really. I'm not Chuck Yeager and I didn't come close to killing myself.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:10 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: Sleeping in the black swan’s nest.

You're right mojo.

Single pilot in a Metro and flying F/O on a modern RJ are the same. What was I thinking?

I didn't almost kill myself single pilot in a Merlin either. But I wasn't attempting to break Mach or do inverted stress testing ala Yeager in it either.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:30 PM
Gets Weekends Off

I think they're going to be a hurting for guys that can fly a Metro single pilot for 40K. There's a lot of guys out of work around CVG, but not for 40K. Delta Private Jets is a lot better job, better QOL, mostly day flying, nice hotels..... ect.
Old 09-21-2014, 06:37 AM
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2013

Originally Posted by MR JT8D View Post
I think they're going to be a hurting for guys that can fly a Metro single pilot for 40K. There's a lot of guys out of work around CVG, but not for 40K. Delta Private Jets is a lot better job, better QOL, mostly day flying, nice hotels..... ect.
DPJ is probably the only jet job I would say is worse than AMF. Better QOL my ass. 20+ days on a month away, you train in your off time, no overtime, horrible training contracts, poor management. FO starting pay is less than what a CA would make at AMF in the Metro.
Old 09-22-2014, 02:41 PM
Gets Weekends Off

You're right mojo.

Single pilot in a Metro and flying F/O on a modern RJ are the same. What was I thinking?

I didn't almost kill myself single pilot in a Merlin either. But I wasn't attempting to break Mach or do inverted stress testing ala Yeager in it either.
Flying any aircraft without AP, FD, or an FO at 3am to the armpit of Mexico is inherently more dangerous than flying an aircraft with any of the above. I am sure an old Lear is probably harder to fly than a Metro.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:17 PM

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: ATP, CFI etc.

Originally Posted by MR JT8D View Post
Well the other source said it's $44k, but we determined even among Metro pilots that 's low because the average is about $52k. That's just the average not the high end for Metro drivers. I never get the business model at companies like this because low pay= employee turnover= extra overhead. Apparently the higher overhead is worth the savings in lower payroll numbers. I always wonder did this company ever try paying people a fair wage and treating them decently as a type of business model or way of doing business, and if they did was it successful or not.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:41 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Cubdriver View Post
Well the other source said it's $44k, but we determined even among Metro pilots that 's low because the average is about $52k. That's just the average not the high end for Metro drivers. I never get the business model at companies like this because low pay= employee turnover= extra overhead. Apparently the higher overhead is worth the savings in lower payroll numbers. I always wonder did this company ever try paying people a fair wage and treating them decently as a type of business model or way of doing business, and if they did was it successful or not.
Stepping over a dollar to pick up a dime. They're still stuck in 2008 when pilots would kill for a job like this.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:01 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: Sleeping in the black swan’s nest.

Originally Posted by mojo6911 View Post
Flying any aircraft without AP, FD, or an FO at 3am to the armpit of Mexico is inherently more dangerous than flying an aircraft with any of the above. I am sure an old Lear is probably harder to fly than a Metro.
And flying an F 104 low level in the weather at Mach one is more dangerous than that. But the comparison was an SA 227 single pilot vs your average everyday RJ job. Thanks for playing.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:18 PM
Gets Weekends Off

And flying an F 104 low level in the weather at Mach one is more dangerous than that. But the comparison was an SA 227 single pilot vs your average everyday RJ job. Thanks for playing.
I was mainly replying to this part of your quote:

My only point was that it takes an honest to god hard working, no kidding, stick, rudder and seriously hard wired instrument pilot to do the single pilot Metro stuff.
I was a flight instructor before hopping into the left seat of the Metro.