Is Delta a Dead end Career?

Subscribe
1  2  3  4  5  11 
Page 1 of 18
Go to
With the order of more small jets, the A330 to VA scheme, and the only WB growth going to Joint Ventures (see the CEA thread), is Delta going to remain a solid international carrier? Or only a watered down domestic airline which feeds the JV's?

I'm seriously worried.

I'm praying that DAL remains a big boy airline..
If you analyse the actions of Delta not the verbiage or rhetoric of Delta management and the former regime at DALPA, which it looks like you have done correctly, I would say you are correct. I was a 747 Captain at NWA for 12 years prior to merging into Delta and managed another 5 years in that capacity at Delta but now am a narrowbody Captain largely because of shrinkage of the fleet of large desirable widebodies. The management claim that "The A350 is the REPLACEMENT for the 747" doesn't wash since the first A350's don't arrive until the LAST and I mean last of the 747's are going away. When the begining of a new series of aircraft don't arrive until the last of it's predecessor are vanishing that is NOT a replacement, that is a business plan change.By the actions and deeds of Delta management it is foreseeable that Delta will evolve into a glorified Southwest Airlines with "gateway tentacles" of minimalist widebody flying into overseas gateway Joint Venture hubs. Lots of virtual airline stuff.
Quote: If you analyse the actions of Delta not the verbiage or rhetoric of Delta management and the former regime at DALPA, which it looks like you have done correctly, I would say you are correct. I was a 747 Captain at NWA for 12 years prior to merging into Delta and managed another 5 years in that capacity at Delta but now am a narrowbody Captain largely because of shrinkage of the fleet of large desirable widebodies. The management claim that "The A350 is the REPLACEMENT for the 747" doesn't wash since the first A350's don't arrive until the LAST and I mean last of the 747's are going away. When the begining of a new series of aircraft don't arrive until the last of it's predecessor are vanishing that is NOT a replacement, that is a business plan change.By the actions and deeds of Delta management it is foreseeable that Delta will evolve into a glorified Southwest Airlines with "gateway tentacles" of minimalist widebody flying into overseas gateway Joint Venture hubs. Lots of virtual airline stuff.
Let's ask Ed! OFG
I'm a Pan Am brat...So if you want to know what's going to happen to Delta (or all the top apex airlines) only time and the bankruptcy courts will tell.
I think DAL will service international hubs like AMS, CDG and PVG. Seasonal service to a variety of destinations, but the good old days are indeed gone. Look at it this way, international flying is tough on your circadian rhythm. And pulling your rollerboard through Atlanta is outstanding cardio.
Quote: I'm a Pan Am brat...So if you want to know what's going to happen to Delta (or all the top apex airlines) only time and the bankruptcy courts will tell.
Apples and shotguns. Not even close.
Quote: If you analyse the actions of Delta not the verbiage or rhetoric of Delta management and the former regime at DALPA, which it looks like you have done correctly, I would say you are correct. I was a 747 Captain at NWA for 12 years prior to merging into Delta and managed another 5 years in that capacity at Delta but now am a narrowbody Captain largely because of shrinkage of the fleet of large desirable widebodies. The management claim that "The A350 is the REPLACEMENT for the 747" doesn't wash since the first A350's don't arrive until the LAST and I mean last of the 747's are going away. When the begining of a new series of aircraft don't arrive until the last of it's predecessor are vanishing that is NOT a replacement, that is a business plan change.By the actions and deeds of Delta management it is foreseeable that Delta will evolve into a glorified Southwest Airlines with "gateway tentacles" of minimalist widebody flying into overseas gateway Joint Venture hubs. Lots of virtual airline stuff.

Who knew Eeyore flies so many legs?
With the exception of a few years in the mid-2000's, DAL was never a HUGE international airline. They had their token Europe and Asia routes but not on the scale of AA/UAL. They only had 74's for a very short time. DAL in my mind has always been a large Southern domestic airline with a few long hauls to the big cities in Europe/Asia. That doesn't seem to be changing.
Quote: With the exception of a few years in the mid-2000's, DAL was never a HUGE international airline. They had their token Europe and Asia routes but not on the scale of AA/UAL. They only had 74's for a very short time. DAL in my mind has always been a large Southern domestic airline with a few long hauls to the big cities in Europe/Asia. That doesn't seem to be changing.
Extremely accurate view! Even when acquiring HUGE international assets DAL reverts back to your description. Ned Beatty beware!
Quote: Extremely accurate view! Even when acquiring HUGE international assets DAL reverts back to your description. Ned Beatty beware!
It is called the Mon-roe syndrome.
1  2  3  4  5  11 
Page 1 of 18
Go to