United new hire, looking for info!

Subscribe
1  2  3  4  5 
Page 1 of 7
Go to
Hi, I am a United new hire, Apr 28 CJO with class date Sept/Oct. I will be commuting out of OKC/TUL/ICT for quite some time, to what sounds like SFO, LAX or EWR initially... Denver, Chicago or Houston will be much easier commutes down the road, I am guessing. I am 17 years military, still flying in Reserves.

Hoping some folks a lot smarter than me can throw out some pointers on airframe/locations or what I should shoot for, and what I can expect for best quality of life. I am 40, so guess Ill be kind of be senior in my training class, but who knows right? Any advice appreciated! Thanks in advance!!
Quote: Hi, I am a United new hire, Apr 28 CJO with class date Sept/Oct. I will be commuting out of OKC/TUL/ICT for quite some time, to what sounds like SFO, LAX or EWR initially... Denver, Chicago or Houston will be much easier commutes down the road, I am guessing. I am 17 years military, still flying in Reserves.

Hoping some folks a lot smarter than me can throw out some pointers on airframe/locations or what I should shoot for, and what I can expect for best quality of life. I am 40, so guess Ill be kind of be senior in my training class, but who knows right? Any advice appreciated! Thanks in advance!!
Move to your hub. You will be MUCH happier in the long run. Trust me, (from a 9 year commuter) who finally wised up after year 10 and made the move. I only wish I had done it sooner.
Quote: Hi, I am a United new hire, Apr 28 CJO with class date Sept/Oct. I will be commuting out of OKC/TUL/ICT for quite some time, to what sounds like SFO, LAX or EWR initially... Denver, Chicago or Houston will be much easier commutes down the road, I am guessing. I am 17 years military, still flying in Reserves.
Enid?!Oklahoma?
Bid the guppy if given the option. Your seniority will rise quickest there. And this whole thing is about seniority.....
Welcome!! I'd bid the guppy and move to a base like mentioned above but if not at least the guppy will give you the best options for the bases you mentioned! Congrats again, great place to be with a bunch of new blood!!!!

You probably won't be all that senior in your class.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
One word of advice that will make your QoL (family and work) better... move to your domicile... don't commute.
Quote: One word of advice that will make your QoL (family and work) better... move to your domicile... don't commute.
I thought I read somewhere on here that United will pay for your move once you're off probation. Can someone verify this? Thanks in advance!
Your initial base most likely won't be your base a year or so from now. You don't have to move to base to be happy. You just have to like where you live. And your family has to like where you live. I don't think you have to pick up right away and move to New York or SFO. If you want to be based in the midwest just stay away from the 756.
From an outsider, wishing to be an insider, does anyone have any idea how I might be able to get the "call" from United? I've had my stuff in for quite a while watching friends of mine, with less experience and a lot less bullets get called, and subsequently either leave after training or decide not to go in the first place. Please help, and thanks.
1  2  3  4  5 
Page 1 of 7
Go to