Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-05-2020, 12:49 PM   #1  
New Hire
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Aug 2018
Position: ERJ FO
Posts: 9
Default Tempted to jump ship

I am currently flying ERJ for another regional and have been half tempted to jump ship strictly because I am sick of commuting.

I was wondering if anyone had any insight on how it works going though training with experience and a type rating under my belt already. How far out are training days? I read else ware that they sometimes offer sooner class dates to those coming from another airline.

Also how senior is LAX, how soon can a new hire hold it and how long to hold a line? I would also be interested to know what kind of trips are out of LAX on the ERJ, how long are the trips and what kinds of overnights?

Any other pertinent information would also be greatly appreciated

Thanks
OigMan is offline  
Old 01-05-2020, 01:37 PM   #2  
Gets Weekends Off
 
amcnd's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,405
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OigMan View Post
I am currently flying ERJ for another regional and have been half tempted to jump ship strictly because I am sick of commuting.

I was wondering if anyone had any insight on how it works going though training with experience and a type rating under my belt already. How far out are training days? I read else ware that they sometimes offer sooner class dates to those coming from another airline.

Also how senior is LAX, how soon can a new hire hold it and how long to hold a line? I would also be interested to know what kind of trips are out of LAX on the ERJ, how long are the trips and what kinds of overnights?

Any other pertinent information would also be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Well. 4 months for LAX. Training would be easy if your already typed.. lots of variety.. 1day-4 day trips.. Is it worth it???!. I did it 20 years ago.. but different times back then.. not commuting changed my life. (Small kids at the time).. If you plan on 4+ years at OO i would do it. If your trying to get out fast, (any regional) just stay upgrade get out...
amcnd is offline  
Old 01-05-2020, 02:01 PM   #3  
New Hire
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Aug 2018
Position: ERJ FO
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcnd View Post
Well. 4 months for LAX. Training would be easy if your already typed.. lots of variety.. 1day-4 day trips.. Is it worth it???!. I did it 20 years ago.. but different times back then.. not commuting changed my life. (Small kids at the time).. If you plan on 4+ years at OO i would do it. If your trying to get out fast, (any regional) just stay upgrade get out...
Would be nice to go mainline quickly but I am still 6 months to a year out from upgrade where I am. First possible upgrade where I am would also make my commute even more unbearable as I'd likely get based on the east coast. Could be a while before a mainline picks me up so I guess I am thinking about the worst case here.
OigMan is offline  
Old 01-06-2020, 08:44 AM   #4  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Gone Flying's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Sep 2015
Position: CRJ FO
Posts: 367
Default

keep in mind LAX CA is pretty senior so you may be able to get it as an fo relatively fast but will take awhile to upgrade (bottom CRJ CA is at 3 years, jr lineholder is around 4 years). also unless you are willing to wait 5+ years ERJ west coast CA ain't happening
Gone Flying is offline  
Old 01-06-2020, 01:16 PM   #5  
Line Holder
 
dhc8guru's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2018
Posts: 36
Default

I don't think I would jump ship with six months till upgrade.
It's really hard to tell what our upgrade time is. Last junior ERJ upgrade I saw going by employee numbers (a lousy way to go by)was probably around 3.5 years. CRJ wasn't much better at around 3 years. But I have heard 2.5 was the real number for the CRJ.
dhc8guru is offline  
Old 01-06-2020, 01:50 PM   #6  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Utah's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: RJ Captain
Posts: 912
Default

Why not just move to wherever you can upgrade with your current airline?
Utah is offline  
Old 01-06-2020, 05:44 PM   #7  
Gets Weekends Off
 
TFAYD's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Dec 2018
Posts: 125
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone Flying View Post
keep in mind LAX CA is pretty senior so you may be able to get it as an fo relatively fast but will take awhile to upgrade (bottom CRJ CA is at 3 years, jr lineholder is around 4 years). also unless you are willing to wait 5+ years ERJ west coast CA ain't happening
^^^^ This is the key piece of info
TFAYD is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jump Ship? NotBendo Spirit 16 07-26-2019 01:52 PM
Need To Jump Ship Regional Driver Spirit 115 04-01-2019 07:23 AM
Time to Jump ship from Hawaiian? Poopchute701 Hawaiian 264 03-19-2019 08:32 PM
Whats the Deal AA with the limited jump seats BE24pilot Major 36 05-12-2011 09:33 PM
To jump ship to CAL from a CH11 Legacy Carrier 1jetpilot Major 8 12-27-2005 05:16 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:01 PM.