Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-14-2018, 07:43 AM   #1  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: May 2017
Posts: 258
Default Yet another depressurization

Southwest flight makes emergency landing after cabin loses pressure - Business Insider

Whats with this spike in losses of cabin pressure and emergency landings? 3 emergency landings in a month. If this record keeps on the uptick then SWA might end up like Allegiant, perhaps with its own 60 minutes special. I think if that happened the centerpiece on the special would be the violations by SWA mx a few years back.
TCASTESTOK is offline  
Old 05-14-2018, 07:57 AM   #2  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jun 2017
Posts: 433
Default

Yet another meaning two? Why not just say “another”
Peacock is offline  
Old 05-14-2018, 10:21 AM   #3  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Dec 2015
Posts: 107
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCASTESTOK View Post
Southwest flight makes emergency landing after cabin loses pressure - Business Insider

Whats with this spike in losses of cabin pressure and emergency landings? 3 emergency landings in a month. If this record keeps on the uptick then SWA might end up like Allegiant, perhaps with its own 60 minutes special. I think if that happened the centerpiece on the special would be the violations by SWA mx a few years back.


Gross overstatement of the facts. Southwest is by leaps and bounds ahead of Allegiant in a wide variety of safety metrics. The real question is why all of the sudden does the media feel the need to front-page every squawk that WN goes through?

“A LOSS OF CABIN PRESSURE WHERE NO ONE WAS INJURED AND THE CREW DID EXACTLY AS TRAINED? GASP!”

Please. The media is over inflating issues, exactly like they did last year with United. Southwest is perfectly fine, the media just wants ratings.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MarkVI is offline  
Old 05-14-2018, 11:06 AM   #4  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: May 2017
Posts: 74
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkVI View Post
Gross overstatement of the facts. Southwest is by leaps and bounds ahead of Allegiant in a wide variety of safety metrics. The real question is why all of the sudden does the media feel the need to front-page every squawk that WN goes through?

“A LOSS OF CABIN PRESSURE WHERE NO ONE WAS INJURED AND THE CREW DID EXACTLY AS TRAINED? GASP!”

Please. The media is over inflating issues, exactly like they did last year with United. Southwest is perfectly fine, the media just wants ratings.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Exactly. I expect the next headline for a weather diversion to be “SW almost ran out of fuel. They had to go to another airport.” Please. Just go away.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Twinjetav8r is offline  
Old 05-14-2018, 12:08 PM   #5  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jul 2015
Posts: 716
Default

Uh, loss of pressurization is a bit different than making a tech stop. One of those is an emergency!
ReadyRsv is offline  
Old 05-14-2018, 12:26 PM   #6  
Moderator
 
tomgoodman's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: 767A (Ret)
Posts: 5,585
Default

Gosh, I hope we don’t have yet another ice age!
tomgoodman is online now  
Old 05-14-2018, 02:28 PM   #7  
Swimmin' in da pool
 
Joined APC: Jan 2014
Posts: 374
Default

SWA is far from 60 Minutes episodes and comparisons to Allegiant, but if there was ever a time to settle the contract with their mechanics, now would be the time.

5 years without a contract with a relatively small, however highly influential labor group is pushing one's luck, especially at a time when SWA is squarely in the media crosshairs. Add to that a revenue management department that has added flights, allowing maintenance less access time to repair aircraft due to later PM arrivals and earlier AM starts. The fleet is aging and the increased cycles will take their toll. SWA should be adding more quality mechanics with in house quality training. At 3.3 mechanics per plane (UAL 11.3 and AA 7.7) SWA should consider itself lean enough, but instead looks to further reduce the count to 2.7? In an industry that struggles to staff its ranks with the dwindling number of mechanics, this seems odd.

Last edited by dawgdriver; 05-14-2018 at 02:41 PM.
dawgdriver is offline  
Old 05-14-2018, 02:35 PM   #8  
Prime Minister/Moderator
 
rickair7777's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim
Posts: 23,481
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacock View Post
Yet another meaning two? Why not just say “another”

Another what? Garden variety loss of cabin pressure? That is not really an event, not to be compared with loss of cabin pressure associated with the cabin being penetrated by uncontained engine parts.

I've had three of the former in my 121 career, put the mask on, descend to 10K, take the mask off, start figuring out how much range you have and where to go. The trick is to beat the masks to 14K. The masks will scare the beejezus out of the pax.
rickair7777 is online now  
Old 05-14-2018, 03:19 PM   #9  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: May 2017
Posts: 258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
Another what? Garden variety loss of cabin pressure? That is not really an event, not to be compared with loss of cabin pressure associated with the cabin being penetrated by uncontained engine parts.

I've had three of the former in my 121 career, put the mask on, descend to 10K, take the mask off, start figuring out how much range you have and where to go. The trick is to beat the masks to 14K. The masks will scare the beejezus out of the pax.
What do you mean by beat the masks to 14k? do you mean get below 10k before cabin alt reaches 14 and the masks drop or beat the time limit on the mask o2 generators?
TCASTESTOK is offline  
Old 05-14-2018, 04:28 PM   #10  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jun 2017
Posts: 433
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCASTESTOK View Post
What do you mean by beat the masks to 14k? do you mean get below 10k before cabin alt reaches 14 and the masks drop or beat the time limit on the mask o2 generators?
Are you a pilot?
Peacock is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bombs away! McGiver Safety 32 04-24-2017 09:14 AM
Lithium Batteries...Who carries them? blackace27 Cargo 15 04-05-2016 12:41 PM
? Chris516 Hangar Talk 16 01-22-2016 08:40 PM
Depressurization Routes H8Flying1 American 17 01-18-2016 11:18 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:59 AM.