Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-31-2020, 11:51 PM   #1  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
SG1159's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Dec 2010
Position: A320 Capt
Posts: 190
Default Side gigs....

I’m all for everyone having other sources of income....

just wondering if anyone else has had issues with the other pilot being more intent on their “side gig” than the job at hand.....

VERY frustrating....
SG1159 is offline  
Old 02-01-2020, 02:04 AM   #2  
Gets Weekends Off
 
MCDUmanipulator's Avatar
 
Joined APC: May 2019
Posts: 266
Default

I DoorDash some while sitting reserve.
MCDUmanipulator is offline  
Old 02-01-2020, 06:03 AM   #3  
On Reserve
 
doublebed's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Oct 2019
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG1159 View Post
I’m all for everyone having other sources of income....

just wondering if anyone else has had issues with the other pilot being more intent on their “side gig” than the job at hand.....

VERY frustrating....
At my previous company there was a pilot who would be on the phone managing his other job from engine shutdown to just before pushback. It happens. If you follow the salary survey you will realize that FOs at Spirit are making $21,000 in their first 6 months and that can be very difficult on a family. I know you didn’t specify any details but everyone has a different situation.
doublebed is offline  
Old 02-01-2020, 08:31 AM   #4  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Halon1211's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Oct 2017
Posts: 518
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG1159 View Post
I’m all for everyone having other sources of income....

just wondering if anyone else has had issues with the other pilot being more intent on their “side gig” than the job at hand.....

VERY frustrating....
I have though about doing stand up comedy on my days off, and possibly giving the other guy a preview during flight.
Halon1211 is offline  
Old 02-13-2020, 08:22 AM   #5  
Line Holder
 
rabsing76's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2016
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG1159 View Post
I’m all for everyone having other sources of income....

just wondering if anyone else has had issues with the other pilot being more intent on their “side gig” than the job at hand.....

VERY frustrating....
Maybe the guy has a great business and the flying is the side gig... ever think of that? If it's not a safety issue then perhaps you should pay more attention to yourself and leave others to do their thing.
rabsing76 is offline  
Old 02-14-2020, 01:43 AM   #6  
Line Holder
 
Freightcowboy's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Sep 2005
Position: CA: A321/A320/A319
Posts: 85
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabsing76 View Post
Maybe the guy has a great business and the flying is the side gig... ever think of that? If it's not a safety issue then perhaps you should pay more attention to yourself and leave others to do their thing.

AHHH no, if you are in the aircraft, I need them to back me up, kinda hard to rely on them when they are on the phone,

what if we have a situation in the back and I’m dealing with maintenance, it’s hard to delegate tasks when they are on the phone with their “side gig” without getting a little stern when I shouldn’t have to.

I have told F/Os “If you are gonna be here, then this flight deck is number 1 priority, otherwise maybe this isn’t for you or call out”

So no I won’t stay out of it, cause at the end of the day I’m the one who has to explain
Freightcowboy is offline  
Old 02-14-2020, 08:32 AM   #7  
Nonsense Spewer
 
Air Stang 7's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2015
Position: In the corner using a lampshade as a hat.
Posts: 278
Default

Wait until the person you're flying with goes full MLM hunbot.
Air Stang 7 is offline  
Old 02-14-2020, 10:00 AM   #8  
Line Holder
 
rabsing76's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2016
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freightcowboy View Post
AHHH no, if you are in the aircraft, I need them to back me up, kinda hard to rely on them when they are on the phone,

what if we have a situation in the back and I’m dealing with maintenance, it’s hard to delegate tasks when they are on the phone with their “side gig” without getting a little stern when I shouldn’t have to.

I have told F/Os “If you are gonna be here, then this flight deck is number 1 priority, otherwise maybe this isn’t for you or call out”

So no I won’t stay out of it, cause at the end of the day I’m the one who has to explain
That situation is the exception not the rule. Normally you can get the plane ready in about 10 min or less and you just sit around the rest of the time. Sure, sometimes there is an abnormal situation (like something MX) and I'll agree with you that the abnormal situation needs to be dealt with first, but the original poster of this thread seemed like he was complaining about his FO doing his side gig under normal circumstances. As long as the other guy gets their normal duties done, then they can do whatever they want the rest of the time you just sit there and wait.

This is a really easy job. Don't make it harder than it needs to be (because some guys out there definitely do, I guess to justify the fat paycheck?)
rabsing76 is offline  
Old 02-14-2020, 02:10 PM   #9  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Macjet's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: Airplanes
Posts: 1,138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabsing76 View Post
That situation is the exception not the rule. Normally you can get the plane ready in about 10 min or less and you just sit around the rest of the time. Sure, sometimes there is an abnormal situation (like something MX) and I'll agree with you that the abnormal situation needs to be dealt with first, but the original poster of this thread seemed like he was complaining about his FO doing his side gig under normal circumstances. As long as the other guy gets their normal duties done, then they can do whatever they want the rest of the time you just sit there and wait.

This is a really easy job. Don't make it harder than it needs to be (because some guys out there definitely do, I guess to justify the fat paycheck?)
You must be the guy who always misses things that I thankfully found and corrected. The professionalism of our FO's is abysmal. I love flying 1.5 pilot.
Macjet is offline  
Old 02-14-2020, 02:26 PM   #10  
Gets Weekends Off
 
flyjbh's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2018
Position: Airbi
Posts: 104
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macjet View Post
You must be the guy who always misses things that I thankfully found and corrected. The professionalism of our FO's is abysmal. I love flying 1.5 pilot.
Thats a bit dramatic. I agree that some FO's could use a lesson in adulthood but to generalize is silly. This is an industry problem fyi..... just talked to a FDX buddy that said they just had another pilot fired for playing on their phone.
flyjbh is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
L-ASA (ExpressJet CRJ side) Datsun ExpressJet 1312 03-08-2018 10:04 AM
Side Gigs Allowed? 67Creek Piedmont Airlines 12 09-16-2017 07:32 PM
Side Gigs Allowed 67Creek SkyWest 2 09-03-2017 08:19 PM
new hires, regionals side by side comparison lakehouse Regional 23 06-17-2016 07:37 AM
side slip/forward slip PearlPilot Flight Schools and Training 47 04-15-2009 05:44 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:40 AM.