Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Airline Pilot Forums > Major > United > => United Contract 2022
Some UPA/TA Tweaks I was thinking about... >

Some UPA/TA Tweaks I was thinking about...

Search
Notices

Some UPA/TA Tweaks I was thinking about...

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2022, 01:09 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2022

The reserve days off needs to change. It's ridiculous on the line right now. There are people out there not trying to work ending up month after month of 100+ hours of credit and getting rolled into days off on the NB. There are people who are saying they think they made a mistake coming here if this is the new normal. I'm even seeing 110+ hours after the dust settles on reserve! This is all going on while Kirby is saying we're overstaffed? What does understaffed look like?
Old 07-24-2022, 02:08 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: guppy CA

Originally Posted by Chowdah View Post
Feel free to come up with your own math on this one, but imagine a Florida commuter who comes in four times a month: A round-trip ticket would normally be $400 max. So $1600 for the month, ends up being $400 out of pocket with the discount. The pilot would need to gross about $700 to recoup this, so with a systemwide average monthly credit of about 85 hours, you would need a $8/hr raise or so to cover it.
You obviously don't buy UA discount tickets. If you buy them in advance, they're pretty cheap. Wait until the last minute and they get expensive.
I know when I'm going to commute and buy tickets when I need to. I don't buy tickets home, as I can wait a bit for a flight home; just to get me to work.
Old 07-24-2022, 02:16 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006

Originally Posted by Zoomie View Post
2) Reserve - I don't like the 0600 report for those that commute, but I'm curious for those that have been on reserve if this could be a possible win-win.
Improve the carrot, lose the stick. For the right add pay (1 hour isn’t it) local RSVs would be scrambling to APU these trips. Could be optional like how the company assigns various levels of premium pay based on need. Fact is, they could sell these assignments very easily to reserves the same way they sell them to lineholders.
Old 07-24-2022, 02:24 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2022

Originally Posted by Andy View Post
You obviously don't buy UA discount tickets. If you buy them in advance, they're pretty cheap. Wait until the last minute and they get expensive.
I know when I'm going to commute and buy tickets when I need to. I don't buy tickets home, as I can wait a bit for a flight home; just to get me to work.
You’re absolutely right, I don’t use them often. I was trying to give a high estimate for the sake of argument (how much a pay raise would be needed to offset the cost to the average lineholder). A WB CA coming in 2 or 3 times a month would be an edge case for a 1% raise to cover the cost, but a 2-leg commuting NB FO might need a 5% raise to recoup. Just a thought
Old 07-24-2022, 03:11 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2008
Position: 787 Captain

Originally Posted by hummingbear View Post
Improve the carrot, lose the stick. For the right add pay (1 hour isn’t it) local RSVs would be scrambling to APU these trips. Could be optional like how the company assigns various levels of premium pay based on need. Fact is, they could sell these assignments very easily to reserves the same way they sell them to lineholders.
Exactly. What's with the 1 or 2 hours of Add Pay crap? How about 50%? If it saves a 100% trip to a lineholder why not? They're throwing bills at the lineholders....and nickles and dimes at the reserves.
Old 07-24-2022, 03:58 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2005
Position: 18%er but I’ll enforce UPA23 to the last period.

Originally Posted by fadec View Post
2) 1400 first day report, 14 hour call out, no schedule checks just phone availability, max 5 short-calls, max 2 FSB. Pickups count towards max. Add pay for each occurance. No difference between used and unused periods.
That’s at least 2 too many involuntary conversions to SC and 2 too many to FSB. Make FSB entirely voluntary and add the needed carrots to entice those that like it or want it to grab it. Limit the number of involuntary conversions to SC to no more than preferably 2 and again add whatever needed carrots to entice pickups. Pay out said carrots for any SC/FSB used or unused, voluntary or assigned. I think just the uncertainty of how many times scheduling gets to hand those out is what kills reserve for commuters. Unfilled CA vacancies follow.
Old 07-24-2022, 07:31 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2014

Originally Posted by threeonefive View Post
Isn’t there value in FSB in that it protects line/awarded trips from reroutes?
IMO field standby fills a need for people ready to work on short notice. There are people that will cover those short notice flights gladly if it benefits their qol or pay. We are looking at this from a "this is how we have always done it" vs how we could be doing it. We are one of the only big airlines to still have fsb and there has to be a better way. Even local lineholders that live in base could benefit. If you show up for a short notice trip the day prior to your original trip ... premium pay + restored day + princess parking and scheduling can cover that persons trip the next day with a long call with 12+ hrs notice. If you treat us as a way to make the circle peg fit with lube vs beating that poor square bastard senseless we both do well. We aren't thinking outside the box with this TA. We are barely acknowledging the harmful language that "we hope" the company won't take advantage of.

Last edited by Aquaticus; 07-24-2022 at 07:51 PM.
Old 07-24-2022, 08:04 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2018

Why would we even need FSB anymore in the new TA when they can just reassign people from their previously bid, unbroken trips before they use a reserve?
Old 07-25-2022, 04:52 AM

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: DAL 330

Do us all a favor and eliminate that ridiculous 380 pay scale from your pay-rates. We all know why its in there, and it does us no good. Well except for the certain animals that are more equal then other animals, the other animals being line Pilots.

Of course management probably wants this rate in the PWA becasue they know they will never operate a 380 and it probably helps ensure the "proper" folks aspire to the "proper" positions.

Scoop
Old 07-25-2022, 11:28 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2006
Position: Reclined seat

Just wanted to throw another idea or two into the mix.

PS commuting: if the cost is to high, make it PS on your backup flight if you can't get on your primary flight. This way it assures a pilot makes it to a trip if they can't get on their primary flight.

Scope: want more weight? 500 lbs max. But make the jumpseat part of the BOW of not only the CRJ550, but also the CRJ-200, ERJ145, CRJ-700, and the E175. Make it to where a mainline pilot cannot be bumped from the JS in a W&B situation as well.