We squandered away our leverage

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2022, 03:45 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: 737 fo
Default We squandered away our leverage

https://www.dailywire.com/news/union...ct_source=pitc

The above article is very anti union. It talks about how the Railroad workers were able to leverage the current political and economic conditions into raises and improved working conditions. GOOD FOR THEM I say. My question is why is my union not using these same advantages to get me raises? We have all of them over a barrel. We can’t get out of our own way….

From the article,”Shapiro added that threats of a rail strike occurring weeks before the 2022 midterm elections was no coincidence. “The amount of damage that was likely to have been done if this railroad strike had happened would have been egregious,” he said. “Which meant that they had Joe Biden over a barrel.”
Old 09-16-2022, 04:50 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2017

Originally Posted by sleeves View Post

The above article is very anti union. It talks about how the Railroad workers were able to leverage the current political and economic conditions into raises and improved working conditions. GOOD FOR THEM I say. My question is why is my union not using these same advantages to get me raises? We have all of them over a barrel. We can’t get out of our own way….

From the article,”Shapiro added that threats of a rail strike occurring weeks before the 2022 midterm elections was no coincidence. “The amount of damage that was likely to have been done if this railroad strike had happened would have been egregious,” he said. “Which meant that they had Joe Biden over a barrel.”

I think pilots have a lot of leverage right now against management because we are one of the biggest bottlenecks for their ability to generate shareholder returns. I don’t think the political arena is the best place for pilots to have the battle though.
When people hear “railway workers Union” they envision some blue collar dude swinging a mallet in 90 degree heat who deserves a raise. That’s not going to be the same perception for pilots.

I think if we try to take our case to the public we will look like fools. The company will say they are just trying to keep airfare low and repay the money the taxpayers so generously loaned them.

We have plenty of business leverage, but I’m not so sure we have the same political leverage.
Old 09-16-2022, 05:57 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2014

Originally Posted by sleeves View Post

Meanwhile, the United MEC is exclusively worried about saving face so they can get TI elected supreme leader. That’s the only leverage they’re worried about.
Old 09-16-2022, 05:58 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2022

Originally Posted by But seriously View Post
I think pilots have a lot of leverage right now against management because we are one of the biggest bottlenecks for their ability to generate shareholder returns. I don’t think the political arena is the best place for pilots to have the battle though.
When people hear “railway workers Union” they envision some blue collar dude swinging a mallet in 90 degree heat who deserves a raise. That’s not going to be the same perception for pilots.

I think if we try to take our case to the public we will look like fools. The company will say they are just trying to keep airfare low and repay the money the taxpayers so generously loaned them.

We have plenty of business leverage, but I’m not so sure we have the same political leverage.
Exactly this. I don’t see John Q Public complaining that the Railways “took billions in taxpayer bailouts.” We already have seen how little the public and government care about the plight of airline workers when there were delays and cancellations that were of managements doing, albeit a response to COVID. The railways weren’t taking them to Disneyland and to see Grandma, which is ultimately more important than the pay of those getting them there.
Old 09-16-2022, 07:32 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2021

Originally Posted by But seriously View Post

Absolutely right. There is a precedent in 2017, pilots from a Latin American airline tried to sell that narrative to the public while doing a strike, next day the company leaked pilots pay rates to the media and conferencing about how pilots were making a lot of money (much higher pay rates than the average person). All the people and government went against the pilots.
Old 09-16-2022, 07:37 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2020

The big United Next expansion is totally dependent on expanding the training department. They can add simulators without our approval, but without the ability to attract and retain instructors and LCA’s, the plan fails. We have an unprecedented amount of deliveries heading this way. Kirby doesn’t want to delay those deliveries because he can’t get the crews trained. Signing the Tumi TA would have solved the training issue and sacrificed our leverage, but we haven’t lost anything at this point. If the company wants the expansion to be a success, they need to sign off on a much better deal. TA1 wasn’t even close and the company knows it. I just hope our MEC has been shaken up enough to realize it too.
Old 09-16-2022, 08:04 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2012

We, as members of UAL ALPA, need to spread the word to elect ANYONE but Todd. If he and his minions refuse to listen to us, continue to pat us on the head telling us that they know best, why would anyone at think he won’t do the same to all of ALPA if he is elected to National?

Originally Posted by Red Swingline View Post
Meanwhile, the United MEC is exclusively worried about saving face so they can get TI elected supreme leader. That’s the only leverage they’re worried about.
Old 09-16-2022, 09:27 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006

Originally Posted by tkhayes90 View Post
We, as members of UAL ALPA, need to spread the word to elect ANYONE but Todd. If he and his minions refuse to listen to us, continue to pat us on the head telling us that they know best, why would anyone at think he won’t do the same to all of ALPA if he is elected to National?
Just for pure entertainment value I hope TI gets elected. The trigger effect would be epic ! 🍿

100% of my attention will and always will be the Contract. An honest question; other than getting a hefty salary, what effect does the ALPA President have on UA pilots ? The BOD sets the priorities for the current and future. My day to day work life isn’t affected by National - it lies squarely at the feet of the LEC/MEC structure and Committees.
Old 09-16-2022, 09:44 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2015
Position: 777 CA

Originally Posted by Shrek View Post
Just for pure entertainment value I hope TI gets elected. The trigger effect would be epic ! 🍿

100% of my attention will and always will be the Contract. An honest question; other than getting a hefty salary, what effect does the ALPA President have on UA pilots ? The BOD sets the priorities for the current and future. My day to day work life isn’t affected by National - it lies squarely at the feet of the LEC/MEC structure and Committees.
I’m honestly concerned about TI being the face of our union. Hell he’s already proven he’s a management lackey with the Max debacle. He loves feeling like a big deal with the free first class for life. Now 6 yrs of negotiations and he has refused to apply any pressure on management. Not even spooled up the SPC or organized a single picketing event. Do you trust him to have the line pilots safety and best interests in mind when he’s already gone on National TV essentially blaming pilots for crashing 2 Max airplanes?
Old 09-16-2022, 10:20 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2016
Angry

Even the French are getting enough balls to strike for pay "in line with inflation"...
French ATC strike

No one else will stand up for you until you stand up for yourself first!
~ Me, c. Today