Notices

Guam Based Pilots

Old 09-18-2023, 04:11 AM
  #151  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Feb 2022
Position: PA31-350; Left
Posts: 118
Default

Originally Posted by banned View Post
Yes.......
Thanks, I have been told it was treated as an "international" flight and a jumpseat listed pilot would not be able to ride up front.
TwOtter is offline  
Old 11-03-2023, 11:51 PM
  #152  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: May 2023
Posts: 38
Default

anyone please let me know most junior captain and f.o seniority number.
TaewoongShin is offline  
Old 11-04-2023, 12:39 AM
  #153  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Mar 2018
Posts: 2,380
Default

Originally Posted by TaewoongShin View Post
anyone please let me know most junior captain and f.o seniority number.
10590 and 15548, respectively
ThumbsUp is offline  
Old 11-04-2023, 03:18 AM
  #154  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: May 2023
Posts: 38
Default

Thank you sir.
But I don't know the significance of that number, whether it's a recent measurement or not.

Could you let me know type of date.? such as 03/19 , 11/23
TaewoongShin is offline  
Old 11-04-2023, 04:11 AM
  #155  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Mar 2018
Posts: 2,380
Default

Originally Posted by TaewoongShin View Post
Thank you sir.
But I don't know the significance of that number, whether it's a recent measurement or not.

Could you let me know type of date.? such as 03/19 , 11/23

Dates donít really matter since we havenít hired in consistent numbers over the years. For instance, the junior captain is from 2018, but we have hired 7000 people since then. Relative system seniority is a better measure, which you can determine by dividing the numbers above by ~17k. I will add, though, Guam is unique and doesnít necessarily follow the same patterns most other places would. What the seniority looks like right now may have no basis on the future.
ThumbsUp is offline  
Old 11-04-2023, 05:44 AM
  #156  
Gets Weekends Off
 
hummingbear's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,343
Default

Originally Posted by ThumbsUp View Post
Dates donít really matter since we havenít hired in consistent numbers over the years. For instance, the junior captain is from 2018, but we have hired 7000 people since then. Relative system seniority is a better measure, which you can determine by dividing the numbers above by ~17k. I will add, though, Guam is unique and doesnít necessarily follow the same patterns most other places would. What the seniority looks like right now may have no basis on the future.
Just to add to that because Guam is such a small base it is very sensitive to changes in flying. Any growth or reductions of just a few flights can cause significant changes in base seniority. Ditto that for certain seniority blocks at the airline that-for whatever reason- do or donít want to go fly the islands in larger numbers. This makes it very difficult to make accurate long-term seniority predictions about the base.

In the past few years we have seen new hires going into Guam, but usually just 1 or 2 BI classes at a time is all it takes to fill the present need, then it dries up again; so more so than other bases, getting Guam as a NH is mostly a function of timing. Based on current trends Iíd say getting Guam as a NH is possible but not likely. Being able to bid in within your first 2 years is pretty likely, though if it were to take longer than that it wouldnít be very surprising.
hummingbear is offline  
Old 11-28-2023, 04:12 PM
  #157  
New Hire
 
Joined APC: Nov 2023
Posts: 9
Default AD Wife - Schools and housing

Hi,

First time poster with a CJO, but no training date.

My wife is Active Duty AF and we're maneuvering to get her stationed in Guam.

I've heard schools are not great, but does anyone have DODEA school experience in Guam? What does that look like?

On housing, would people recommend on base housing or out in the island? It would be a family of 3 or 4.

What if my wife gets staioned in Yokota (Tokyo)? I've read I wouldn't be the only one commuting that. Any thoughts?

What if my wife gets stationed at Hickam (HI)? If I get a bunch of island hoppers, does the overnight in hawaii kind of make up for it?

Thanks!
jlondono50 is offline  
Old 11-28-2023, 05:14 PM
  #158  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Mar 2018
Posts: 2,380
Default

Originally Posted by jlondono50 View Post
Hi,

First time poster with a CJO, but no training date.

My wife is Active Duty AF and we're maneuvering to get her stationed in Guam.

I've heard schools are not great, but does anyone have DODEA school experience in Guam? What does that look like?

On housing, would people recommend on base housing or out in the island? It would be a family of 3 or 4.

What if my wife gets staioned in Yokota (Tokyo)? I've read I wouldn't be the only one commuting that. Any thoughts?

What if my wife gets stationed at Hickam (HI)? If I get a bunch of island hoppers, does the overnight in hawaii kind of make up for it?

Thanks!
First things, first, donít count on getting GUM right off the bat. Itís a sporadic offering and rarely available to people in BI since those are whatís leftover and there are currently none leftover. How long it will take you to get there varies.
ThumbsUp is offline  
Old 11-28-2023, 06:07 PM
  #159  
Gets Weekends Off
 
hummingbear's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,343
Default

Originally Posted by jlondono50 View Post
Hi,

First time poster with a CJO, but no training date.

My wife is Active Duty AF and we're maneuvering to get her stationed in Guam.

I've heard schools are not great, but does anyone have DODEA school experience in Guam? What does that look like?

On housing, would people recommend on base housing or out in the island? It would be a family of 3 or 4.

What if my wife gets staioned in Yokota (Tokyo)? I've read I wouldn't be the only one commuting that. Any thoughts?

What if my wife gets stationed at Hickam (HI)? If I get a bunch of island hoppers, does the overnight in hawaii kind of make up for it?

Thanks!
From what Iíve heard the DODEA schools there are adequate. There are also some good private school options that wonít exhaust your island pay, & of course the homeschool option. I think DODEA would only make sense if you live on base.

My opinion only- the base housing is off on one side of the island & feels a little cut off from a lot of what you might want to be doing. (Though there are some nice beaches on base.) The town around Anderson (Yigo) is nothing special & the area that separates it from the rest of the island (Dededo) is pretty rough. Itís not ďremoteĒ per se, but your sense of distance really starts to get skewed the longer you live on the island. W/ your wifeís housing stipend & whatever else you want to put in from your paycheck, Iíd at least look around at other options in Tamuning, Hagatna, maybe Barrigada & Chalan Pago.

Many have commuted from HI & JP. Both are doable but Iíd personally rather the latter than the former. 2-3 a day from Tokyo & a much shorter flight than HNL. Also, unfortunately, I wouldnít expect to be able to bid hoppers with any degree of reliability for years, & DH hoppers for even longer.
hummingbear is offline  
Old 11-29-2023, 03:09 AM
  #160  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Jun 2022
Posts: 64
Default

Originally Posted by jlondono50 View Post
Hi,

First time poster with a CJO, but no training date.

My wife is Active Duty AF and we're maneuvering to get her stationed in Guam.

I've heard schools are not great, but does anyone have DODEA school experience in Guam? What does that look like?

On housing, would people recommend on base housing or out in the island? It would be a family of 3 or 4.

What if my wife gets staioned in Yokota (Tokyo)? I've read I wouldn't be the only one commuting that. Any thoughts?

What if my wife gets stationed at Hickam (HI)? If I get a bunch of island hoppers, does the overnight in hawaii kind of make up for it?

Thanks!
I have no experience with the military here but I know that many of my neighbours in a civillian housing area are military, so there are definitely good reasons not to live on base. Military + UA living stipend will pretty much pay for what ever you like I imagine.

I'd advise you to commute from Japan rather than HNL. We have 4 flights a day from NRT and Nagoya is always open and a quick Shinkansen away if you were ever in a bind. Hawaii is too far away, regularly full and only once a day.

You will not hold regular one way hoppers that make a HNL commute more palatable for a long time. I'd say GUM is the most senior 737 base.
banned is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Guard Dude
Delta
201720
04-06-2022 06:59 AM
WARich
Delta
11220
06-10-2020 07:42 AM
JungleBus
Major
121
12-20-2008 04:13 PM
WatchThis!
Major
68
07-13-2008 08:12 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Your Privacy Choices