View Single Post
Old 03-28-2013, 03:31 PM
TonyC
Organizational Learning 

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: Directly behind the combiner

Originally Posted by TonyC View Post

Originally Posted by Overnitefr8 View Post

That is where the "wide body pay attached" phrase came from according to the web cast. So, yes he should get WB pay according to the NC.

That's the only question I asked that they answered.

Originally Posted by Check 6 View Post

Tony,

Should they have answered all your questions at the expense of others?

Of course not. I didn't say that, nor did I imply that. I guess it can get a little confusing with all the conversations going on in a single thread, but the subject has been discussed in this thread.

Originally Posted by CloudSailor View Post

... My first question (asked elsewhere) is where in the LOA does it say that?

My next question (also asked elsewhere) is what prevents The Company from making them all B-757 standby periods, and paying wide body pay only when they actually operate a B-767?

Another question would be, would the rules be the same for Base Standby periods? He specified Field Standby -- is that significant?

Those are great questions. Why ask the APC crowd? Why not get those answers directly from our union while the vote is open? Really.

I'm sure we would all appreciate answers to the great questions you have come up with from someone with the authority and knowledge to answer them instead of just question after question on APC which, although probably not your intent, can come across as your way of saying "the MEC doesn't know what it's doing".

I wasn't asking the APC crowd those particular questions so much as engaging in the conversation about the topic -- standbys. I will seek answers in the venues provided, but I don't want to have to hog the microphone. I'd rather somebody else ask the same questions. If someone other than me asks, they're more likely to receive answers.

As I mentioned previously (http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/ca...ml#post1378420), I have several questions. Three of my questions were addressed, but only one was answered. The question about "wide body pay attached" was answered, and 2cylinderdriver had it correct:

Originally Posted by 2cylinderdirver View Post

I understood the Chair's comment about "WB rates attached to it.." goes back to the definition of a B767 trip. Meaning if a 757 trip is published in the 767 bid pack then that trip for that month "has WB rates attached to it". If you are a 757 pilot drafted or reserve assigned a "767 trip" that does not contain actual 767 legs, you still get WB pay.

He also encouraged me to ask the questions and share the answers:
Originally Posted by 2cylinderdirver View Post

Either way Tony, I hope you get answers to your questions above from the horses mouth and please let us know what you find out.

Yesterday's Live Webcast was my first opportunity to ask "from the horse's mouth."

I had composed several questions in a text file and was able to Copy & Paste them to the dialogue box in the webcast. I therefore have an exact copy of what I asked, and could compare that with what was read "On Air." What I found interesting is that they were not addressed in the order that they were submitted. It appeared that questions were chosen to create the desired dialogue. Unfortunately, much of that dialogue was filled with questions that a college graduate who had read the LOA should have been able to answer by reading. "Can a B-757 pilot pick up a B-767 trip out of open time?" NO, the LOA is pretty clear about that, but let's talk about it for a few minutes.

Another question I asked was edited. I asked,
"Captain Larson, in your recent video you said regarding instructors, "757 Instructors will be paid just like their 757 Section 24 line pilots and they'll be paid narrow-body pay, unless they are on a Pay Only line and perform Instructor Duties on a 767 TRIP. So any time an Instructor, a 757 Instructor, touches a 767, if he's checking or Instructing, he'll be paid the Wide-body Pay rate." I take that to mean that a B-757 Flex Instructor conducting a B-767 training event in the SImulator, classroom, or any other device will NOT earn the wide-body pay rate. If that is so, why would The Company ever want to hire a B-767 Flex Instructor, if they can meet all the training needs with a narrow-body pilot?"
The first three sentences are statments forming the background for the question, which is the last sentence. The "Moderator" read the statements, but not the question, at which point the Negotiating Committee Chairman said, "That's right, ..." and repeated the rules for compensating B-757 Flex Instructors. The question, "why would The Company ever want to hire a B-767 Flex Instructor, if they can meet all the training needs with a narrow-body pilot?" was not asked or answered.

The third question which he addressed was this:
"What criteria will the Scheduling Committee Chairman use to allow B-767 flying in the B-757 bid period package?"
The response began with an explanation that the Scheduling Committee Chairman is an ALPA position, he told us who presently holds that position, told us about his experience in the job, his expertise and so on, but he never even tried to explain a single criteria or circumstance when the choice might be made to include B-767 flying in the B-757 bid period package.

Apparently, seniority is now just another Soft Parameter.