Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-21-2018, 03:18 PM   #11  
Klsytakesit
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCCP View Post
We better hope the next negotiating committee isn’t a bunch of pushovers
They are not and have not been pushovers....They have never had our support ever....If we commit today to “ no pick up, no premium, no vsa , no extensions, no favors and do as MEA did and fly minimum, then just maybe they will have a voice at the table....slow our overly consumptive lives down now...live on 70 hrs now, disengage now and by 2020 we might get what we want or at least get what we need. While Alaska has never been a career airline it has been a decent job at 70 hrs or less....
 
Old 06-21-2018, 03:24 PM   #12  
Gets Weekends Off
 
All Bizniz's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2018
Posts: 284
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyGuy View Post
FOs okay, but CA at 70 hrs is still 200k+ year which puts you in the top 5-7% of earners. If you find yourself living paycheck to paycheck and can barely meet your mortgage being in the top 5-7% of earners, youíre doing it wrong.
And after taxes what is that?

Ever been divorced and have to pay alimony and child support while supporting your new family having remarried?

Ever been stuck fighting an insane medical bill after a family member recovers or dies from a serious ailment?

Ever been sued, rightly or wrongly and had a judgment against you?

Try taking care of a old/sick parent in a nursing home.

Try living in the desirable neighborhoods with good schools for your kids in the North East or in CA....

My point is that each individual circumstance is different and a person may not necessarily be "doing something wrong" to be struggling financially earning $200,000 or more...

Yes, there are high earning individuals who are irresponsible with their money, but until you've walked in a person's shoes, I would be hesitant to paint with such broad strokes.....

Last edited by All Bizniz; 06-21-2018 at 03:41 PM.
All Bizniz is offline  
Old 06-21-2018, 06:59 PM   #13  
Line Holder
 
rogersmith's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2012
Posts: 35
Default

How how much money you need to make in San Francisco to buy a home - Business Insider

ďSan Francisco's housing market is so dire, people need to make over $300,000 a year to afford the typical homeĒ -Business Insider, 2/21/18
rogersmith is offline  
Old 06-21-2018, 07:07 PM   #14  
Line Holder
 
ASpilot0936's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2016
Posts: 53
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCCP View Post
We better hope the next negotiating committee isnít a bunch of pushovers

They already are. They're still in the mindset that we should be paid 5th best.


Throw them all out I say.
ASpilot0936 is offline  
Old 06-21-2018, 07:09 PM   #15  
Line Holder
 
ASpilot0936's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2016
Posts: 53
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klsytakesit View Post
Alaska has never been a career airline it has been a decent job at 70 hrs or less....

Why can't it be? If everyone grows a pair & stops helping the company with their premium problems........
ASpilot0936 is offline  
Old 06-21-2018, 08:17 PM   #16  
Gets Weekends Off
 
ShyGuy's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: Thrown off Fifi into Guppy
Posts: 7,411
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Bizniz View Post
And after taxes what is that?

Ever been divorced and have to pay alimony and child support while supporting your new family having remarried?

Ever been stuck fighting an insane medical bill after a family member recovers or dies from a serious ailment?

Ever been sued, rightly or wrongly and had a judgment against you?

Try taking care of a old/sick parent in a nursing home.

Try living in the desirable neighborhoods with good schools for your kids in the North East or in CA....

My point is that each individual circumstance is different and a person may not necessarily be "doing something wrong" to be struggling financially earning $200,000 or more...

Yes, there are high earning individuals who are irresponsible with their money, but until you've walked in a person's shoes, I would be hesitant to paint with such broad strokes.....
Youíre right, those things are terrible. Those problems arenít just pilots, that can be anyone. People have gone through those things and done that while making far less than $200k. My point is that even at min 70 hrs, we are in the top 6-7% of the population.
ShyGuy is offline  
Old 06-21-2018, 09:50 PM   #17  
Gets Weekends Off
 
All Bizniz's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2018
Posts: 284
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyGuy View Post
Youíre right, those things are terrible. Those problems arenít just pilots, that can be anyone. People have gone through those things and done that while making far less than $200k. My point is that even at min 70 hrs, we are in the top 6-7% of the population.
Being in the top 6-7% means nothing, if I can't afford to live for example in San Francisco where I'm based unless I am prepared drive 2-3 hours to get to work.

As I recall, your point was basically that if you are in the top 6-7% and struggling financially, "you are doing it wrong". I just wanted to remind you that there are many legitimate reasons why some high earning pilots may have money issues.

As for surviving that situation? Pilot or not, I am willing to bet the farm that while anyone earning 200k or more facing any one of those crippling circumstances may be able to survive from paycheck to paycheck; those who earn much less often don't stand a chance and among other things, typically end up losing their homes and/or declaring bankruptcy at significantly greater rates. It's just Math. (An inside VX joke I'm sure you'll appreciate lol)

Last edited by All Bizniz; 06-21-2018 at 10:04 PM.
All Bizniz is offline  
Old 06-21-2018, 10:02 PM   #18  
Gets Weekends Off
 
ShyGuy's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: Thrown off Fifi into Guppy
Posts: 7,411
Default

Now you're just being "reckless!"
ShyGuy is offline  
Old 06-21-2018, 10:07 PM   #19  
Gets Weekends Off
 
All Bizniz's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2018
Posts: 284
Default

Hahaha
Deee Ceee in the building! 🤣😂🤣
All Bizniz is offline  
Old 06-21-2018, 11:40 PM   #20  
Line Holder
 
BusCapt's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2012
Position: A-320 Captain
Posts: 54
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mea25000 View Post
For the months of May and June...I Flew low 70ís. I feel so much better. Way better quality of life, and I have had so much more fun with friends and family. If you are burnt out, feeling stressed, I would encourage you to fly less and really enjoy your summer! I plan on doing just that in July and August.
How is this achieved with line bidding? I thought most lines were minimum 75 with the average AS line holder working closer to 85 Average (Just hearsay... from what I've heard).

Do you drop trips to other line holders? Are you top seniority such that you can bid more days off?

Trying to develop strategies for maintaining a healthy work life balance when line bidding comes....
BusCapt is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any "Latest & Greatest" about Delta? Guard Dude Delta 199694 Today 04:37 AM
Cycle of debt continues through life vagabond Money Talk 1 05-15-2008 07:57 PM
FDX Life Insurance MajorKong Cargo 1 12-20-2007 05:48 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:11 AM.