Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Alaska (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/alaska/)
-   -   Alaska Air Hiring (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/alaska/77824-alaska-air-hiring.html)

Spoilers 12-17-2013 12:58 PM

System won't let me upload any attachments, tried IE and Firefox.

Also, besides uploading recommendation letters, is there a place for current pilots to email or submit recs?

SVA402 12-17-2013 01:25 PM


Originally Posted by Spoilers (Post 1541567)
System won't let me upload any attachments, tried IE and Firefox.

Also, besides uploading recommendation letters, is there a place for current pilots to email or submit recs?

Where did you try to do it on the app? The page you use is "my career tools". You would then upload the letter from a pilot yourself there, along with cover letter, etc.

Kenny Powers 12-17-2013 09:18 PM

I have no dog in this fight but curious about one of their hiring requirements....

"20/20 corrected in each eye"

Say one has a first class medical with no restrictions, however has a SODA for having best corrected distant vision in one eye at 20/25. The near vision in that eye is 20/20 and the other eye's near and distant vision are both 20/20.

If they otherwise meet the requirements, is that a no-go? How can they "legally" get away with this when the FAA says all you need is a first class medical. I thought most of the majors were done with the astronaut type physicals anyway?

Again, no dog in this fight, but just curious how this would play out....

Herc67 12-18-2013 01:45 AM

Question on background checks
 
How does Alaska or any other airline check with your "employer" if you are military? Do they ask for your fitness reports, Form 8's, etc? Do they just start calling the Squadron, Ops Group, or Wing Commander until they get a hold of someone and say "we are such and such.....what do you think of this person?" Not trying to be antagonistic, just wondering how that process works, especially since there is a high turnover rate in a Squadron.

hoodabundy 12-18-2013 06:18 AM

I have been trying to upload letters of rec and its not working. I recall this happening during the last window but cant remember how I got them to work.

Packrat 12-18-2013 07:23 AM


Originally Posted by Kenny Powers (Post 1541890)
I have no dog in this fight but curious about one of their hiring requirements....

"20/20 corrected in each eye"

Say one has a first class medical with no restrictions, however has a SODA for having best corrected distant vision in one eye at 20/25. The near vision in that eye is 20/20 and the other eye's near and distant vision are both 20/20.

If they otherwise meet the requirements, is that a no-go? How can they "legally" get away with this when the FAA says all you need is a first class medical. I thought most of the majors were done with the astronaut type physicals anyway?

Again, no dog in this fight, but just curious how this would play out....

Its just another eliminator. When you have 3000-5000 apps for 66 positions you add requirements that cull the herd. I'm not saying its fair or that you may eliminate a superior aviator. But that's the way the game is played in HR departments.

One of my AS buds told me the CP has 300+ apps on his desk with in house recs or sons/daughters of active pilots. Those will get the first look.


Originally Posted by Herc67 (Post 1541927)
How does Alaska or any other airline check with your "employer" if you are military? Do they ask for your fitness reports, Form 8's, etc? Do they just start calling the Squadron, Ops Group, or Wing Commander until they get a hold of someone and say "we are such and such.....what do you think of this person?" Not trying to be antagonistic, just wondering how that process works, especially since there is a high turnover rate in a Squadron.

I've never heard of any airline calling squadrons. Military flight training and experience are a known factor with the airlines. They know the standardization is consistent. With civilian trained and experienced pilots you just don't know the level of training.

You can pretty much buy any license or type rating you want if you shop around.

Spoilers 12-18-2013 11:10 AM


Originally Posted by hoodabundy (Post 1542012)
I have been trying to upload letters of rec and its not working. I recall this happening during the last window but cant remember how I got them to work.

I have the exact same problem like I have mentioned earlier in this thread. I have a rec letter from an AS pilot, but cannot upload anything. Tried different browsers, too.

gooddeal 12-18-2013 05:55 PM


Originally Posted by Herc67 (Post 1541927)
How does Alaska or any other airline check with your "employer" if you are military? Do they ask for your fitness reports, Form 8's, etc? Do they just start calling the Squadron, Ops Group, or Wing Commander until they get a hold of someone and say "we are such and such.....what do you think of this person?" Not trying to be antagonistic, just wondering how that process works, especially since there is a high turnover rate in a Squadron.

A third party firm will be used to conduct a background check...pretty standard at most carriers. One of the tasks will be to verify employment...which will not likely result in anything but just that. Just use a phone number where there would be little chance in the person who answers the phone didn't know you were ever assigned there. Don't let your chance of being hired at a carrier be lost because some third party didn't get to talk with the right person. Your letters of recommendation would most likely be the source of character references.

Good Luck!

ArcticDog 12-18-2013 08:30 PM


Originally Posted by Kenny Powers (Post 1541890)
I have no dog in this fight but curious about one of their hiring requirements....

"20/20 corrected in each eye"

Say one has a first class medical with no restrictions, however has a SODA for having best corrected distant vision in one eye at 20/25. The near vision in that eye is 20/20 and the other eye's near and distant vision are both 20/20.

If they otherwise meet the requirements, is that a no-go? How can they "legally" get away with this when the FAA says all you need is a first class medical. I thought most of the majors were done with the astronaut type physicals anyway?

Again, no dog in this fight, but just curious how this would play out....

I'm guessing here, but as far as I know they still do not do any sort of medical exam. As long as you can hold a valid first class medical, I would say you are good.

biigD 12-18-2013 08:34 PM


Originally Posted by Spoilers (Post 1542207)
I have the exact same problem like I have mentioned earlier in this thread. I have a rec letter from an AS pilot, but cannot upload anything. Tried different browsers, too.

I have the same problem. Fortunately the application included my earlier recs and cover letter, but I can't seem to add any additional ones. I tried Safari and Firefox on the Mac, and Explorer and Firefox on the PC. Once I click the 'upload' button after selecting the pdf file, it just hangs up.

That said, I don't have an internal, so there's no way I'll get a call regardless.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:28 PM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Website Copyright 2000 - 2017 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands