Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-27-2014, 11:20 AM   #1  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
Wilbur Wright's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2010
Posts: 377
Default Inflight rest facilities

What kind of rest facilities do you have on your 8-12 hour aircraft at AA and USAir? Delta currently uses Class 2 & 3 for their 8-12 hour fights on 330-300/767/757. The longer range 744/777/330-200 have Class 1. The latest agreement calls for Delta to convert all the A330s to Class 1 regardless of range.

TIA

Last edited by Wilbur Wright; 05-27-2014 at 11:56 AM.
Wilbur Wright is offline  
Old 05-27-2014, 02:37 PM   #2  
Gets Weekends Off
 
TQ Nola's Avatar
 
Joined APC: May 2010
Position: 777 FO
Posts: 247
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilbur Wright View Post
What kind of rest facilities do you have on your 8-12 hour aircraft at AA and USAir? Delta currently uses Class 2 & 3 for their 8-12 hour fights on 330-300/767/757. The longer range 744/777/330-200 have Class 1. The latest agreement calls for Delta to convert all the A330s to Class 1 regardless of range.

TIA
Class 2 on the AA 76 (curtain works better than I thought it would). 75 has no curtain, but still used Deep South (Brasilia, etc). In both, adjacent seat is blocked.
TQ Nola is offline  
Old 05-27-2014, 02:57 PM   #3  
Gets Weekends Off
 
DrivinTheDash's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2007
Position: B-757/767 FO
Posts: 184
Default

On the US side:

757: Class 3 (no curtain, recliner-style business class seat, adjacent seat is, I believe, available for assignment to passengers)

767: Class 2 (Curtain encloses 2 angled lie-flat business class seats)

A332: Class 2 that the company is currently operating as Class 1 under an FAA waiver

A333: I believe Class 2, curtain enclosing a lie-flat business class suite.
DrivinTheDash is offline  
Old 05-27-2014, 05:10 PM   #4  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
Wilbur Wright's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2010
Posts: 377
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ Nola View Post
Class 2 on the AA 76 (curtain works better than I thought it would). 75 has no curtain, but still used Deep South (Brasilia, etc). In both, adjacent seat is blocked.
Blocked? That's good. For us it's the last seat sold in business class and can be occupied by a nonrev. What kind of seats? Thanks!
Wilbur Wright is offline  
Old 05-27-2014, 05:11 PM   #5  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
Wilbur Wright's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2010
Posts: 377
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivinTheDash View Post
On the US side:

757: Class 3 (no curtain, recliner-style business class seat, adjacent seat is, I believe, available for assignment to passengers)

767: Class 2 (Curtain encloses 2 angled lie-flat business class seats)

A332: Class 2 that the company is currently operating as Class 1 under an FAA waiver

A333: I believe Class 2, curtain enclosing a lie-flat business class suite.
Thanks, that's exactly what I am looking for.
Wilbur Wright is offline  
Old 05-28-2014, 03:33 AM   #6  
Gets Weekends Off
 
7576FO's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Aug 2007
Position: 737 CA MIA
Posts: 1,040
Default

At AA 777-200's are Class 1 bunks.
We are also reconfiguring all 777-200's to a 2 class config (Biz and Coach) 1st class on the 777-200's is going away.
2 per month refurb'd in Hong Kong.
Our 777-300's have the upstairs forward for Pilots crew rest and in the back upstairs for FA's.
I've flown the 777-300 3 times now. Once as FB there is no air ventilation ANYTIME below 25,000' So if you're the FB it takes about 20+ minutes to BEGIN to cool down up there.
7576FO is offline  
Old 05-28-2014, 07:51 AM   #7  
Gets Weekends Off
 
YAKflyer's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2007
Position: 30 West
Posts: 375
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7576FO View Post
Our 777-300's have the upstairs forward for Pilots crew rest and in the back upstairs for FA's.
I've flown the 777-300 3 times now. Once as FB there is no air ventilation ANYTIME below 25,000' So if you're the FB it takes about 20+ minutes to BEGIN to cool down up there.

Your comments are interesting to me. I flew the 777-200 for DL and the rest facility was not authorized for occupancy below 25,000' for the reasons you stated. After leaving Delta I spent a couple of years at Air India flying the 777-300. The Air India planes also had the upstairs rest facilities, but they were authorized for all phases of light. The original Delta 777s were modified after delivery, so I thought that was the reason the ventilation was restricted on those planes. When I got to AI I figured the installations were done at the factory and were more useful because they were more of a standard component. At AI I had folks upstairs for takeoff and landing several times and no one ever complained about the ventilation. Now I wonder if Boeing has two different ways of installing those rest facilities.
YAKflyer is offline  
Old 05-28-2014, 08:28 AM   #8  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Sliceback's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: Window seat
Posts: 4,448
Default

Turning one of the packs off(I forget which one), while on the ground, supposedly supplies air to the crew rest area.
Sliceback is offline  
Old 05-28-2014, 10:06 AM   #9  
Gets Weekends Off
 
7576FO's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Aug 2007
Position: 737 CA MIA
Posts: 1,040
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliceback View Post
Turning one of the packs off(I forget which one), while on the ground, supposedly supplies air to the crew rest area.

I'm just a co-pilot I don't turn anything off unless instructed to do so.

this isn't a slam against you Slice. It is the way it is.

and it wouldn't be wise in MIA to be turning off a pack on the ground with summertime temps today.
7576FO is offline  
Old 05-28-2014, 10:09 AM   #10  
Gets Weekends Off
 
7576FO's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Aug 2007
Position: 737 CA MIA
Posts: 1,040
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAKflyer View Post
Your comments are interesting to me. I flew the 777-200 for DL and the rest facility was not authorized for occupancy below 25,000' for the reasons you stated. After leaving Delta I spent a couple of years at Air India flying the 777-300. The Air India planes also had the upstairs rest facilities, but they were authorized for all phases of light. The original Delta 777s were modified after delivery, so I thought that was the reason the ventilation was restricted on those planes. When I got to AI I figured the installations were done at the factory and were more useful because they were more of a standard component. At AI I had folks upstairs for takeoff and landing several times and no one ever complained about the ventilation. Now I wonder if Boeing has two different ways of installing those rest facilities.

At AA on the 777-200ER the bunks are behind the cockpit just outside the door.
On the 777-300ER the bunks are upstairs. We were told. For egress reasons they do not want anyone up there below 25,000' The upstairs does have an escape hatch that drops open at row 2 or 3.

None of the AA 777-200's have upstairs. Only the 300's
7576FO is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New FAR's on Rest...It's all about VOTES ATCsaidDoWhat Major 117 10-16-2010 10:38 AM
Are overseas regional airlines just as bad n287hg Regional 35 10-12-2009 06:40 AM
Nominee to head FAA vows renewed... mjarosz Regional 6 05-20-2009 05:05 AM
Airlines sue FAA over long range rest rules MD11HOG Cargo 0 01-05-2009 10:27 PM
Crew rest Senior Skipper Regional 33 02-11-2008 06:38 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:09 PM.