Go Back   Airline Pilot Central Forums - Find your next job as a Pilot > >
Aviation Law Legal issues, FARs, and questions

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-16-2017, 09:37 AM   #1
Line Holder
Thread Starter
Joined APC: Dec 2015
Posts: 90
Default ? for someone w/ an accounting background


I have a question in regards to bonus repayment to a company.


Upon hire, I was paid a $10,000 bonus for my first year. However, the bonus was paid to me with 40% taxes withdrawn. In other words, I was paid $6,000.

I worked for 4 months. So, 1/3 of a year. My employer wants the bonus paid back, pro- rated, which I intend to do. However, the bonus they want returned is 2/3 of the original $10,000, Not 2/3 of the $6,000 they paid me. They said that the company pays taxes, so, the tax money that they withdrew from my bonus doesn't count or something to that effect.

Is this correct or am I being taken for a ride?

Aviationluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 03:46 PM   #2
Prime Minister
rickair7777's Avatar
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: RJ
Posts: 17,169

Actually sounds reasonable to me. You should be able to get a refund on the excess withheld tax ...in about a year (that's what sucks).

The real question you need to ask your tax person: If you refund the bonus pro rata, does that mean the bonus was "unpaid" to you and therefore you don't owe tax, and are therefore entitled to a refund on excess withheld taxes?

It's possible the bonus is considered income which cannot be "unpaid", in which case you might owe full tax on the $10K at whatever your usual bracket is. The fact that you pay the company some money to relieve your contractual obligation to them may not undue the original transaction. Better ask a real expert.
rickair7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 12:46 AM   #3
Line Holder
Joined APC: Feb 2013
Posts: 45

You should use a witholding calculator available at numerous places on the internet. You enter your expected tax information...the tool tells you what your witholding should be in order to have a neutral tax return. You should be able to increase your wotholdings a couple of notches so you get a slightly larger paycheck the reat of the year. Just don't forget to lower your witholding January 1st or you'll be in for a surprise.
AltoCumulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:58 PM   #4
Just Plane Stupid
HeavyDriver's Avatar
Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: Captain
Posts: 307

The company will be reimbursed taxes also, soooooo?
HeavyDriver is offline   Reply With Quote


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Should I even try with my background? JabroniJohn Career Questions 20 04-09-2017 11:28 PM
Background Check What Shows? flyguy95 Career Questions 4 12-20-2016 08:13 AM
Background and Medical Certs. surfinisme Career Questions 13 12-02-2012 07:48 AM
corporate background edavis Career Questions 5 09-08-2011 05:34 PM
Background Check socal163 Major 7 02-02-2006 02:40 PM

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:02 PM.

vBulletin® v3.9.3.3, Copyright ©2000-2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Copyright 2000 - 2017 Internet Brands, Inc.