Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-22-2021, 09:20 PM   #21  
Gets Weekends Off
 
WhipWhitaker's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2017
Posts: 373
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiPeter View Post
I would avoid the FAR 135 segment of the industry if at all possible.

I'm at a legacy airline now, but spent the majority of my career in the FAR 135 world. It's nice to have biz jet experience as a fall back when the industry tanks (COVID being the most recent example), but in general I find FAR 135 to be poor quality jobs, not enough regulation and standards and a lot of pilots that, quite frankly, are risky, dangerous and overall not good pilots.

I found FAR 135 to be very stressful and frequently dealt with a lot of drama that just doesn't exist in FAR 121. I'm not familiar with the regionals in the last 15 years, but I regret my FAR 135 experience. It definitely made my career progression more difficult.
What legacy airline did you get hired by in 2020/21?
WhipWhitaker is offline  
Old 04-24-2021, 02:11 PM   #22  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Crockrocket95's Avatar
 
Joined APC: May 2018
Posts: 135
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredSoul View Post
Here is my (cynical) view:
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/121.43

135 PIC counts for nothing unless itís 10+ seats or commuter operations aka ďscheduled 135Ē.
I donít see how 135 PIC time on your average rent-a-jet would do him any favors.
I have 135 PIC jet time and itís has done zero for me.
I used to fly with somebody from the Regionals and he went 135 for the exact reasons He mentioned and last time I saw him he was still there.
Couldnít handle the $30k+ pay cut it to go back to first year 121.
Your friend is 121, stay there.
No 135 that I know off will put you in the left seat on day 1,
Youíll spend a year right seat.
So youíre not gaining anything.

I had 135 TPIC in citations that had 7 seats... got hired at a major 121. Did legality change in the last 2 years?
Crockrocket95 is offline  
Old 04-24-2021, 02:15 PM   #23  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Crockrocket95's Avatar
 
Joined APC: May 2018
Posts: 135
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabroniJohn View Post
Can you talk about your path from a 135 to a 121 Major? Did you take on extra-curricular duties that you think helped?

FWIW, I also went 135 to Major 121.

I was a check and assistant chief pilot for the last 135. Everyone in my interview class at my current place was either in standards, check airman, training or something that was more than just a line pilot.
Crockrocket95 is offline  
Old 04-25-2021, 06:46 AM   #24  
Gets Weekends Off
 
TOGALOCK's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Dec 2018
Posts: 307
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockrocket95 View Post
I had 135 TPIC in citations that had 7 seats... got hired at a major 121. Did legality change in the last 2 years?
I think s/he’s just referring to the flight experience requirements to upgrade and act as PIC under 121. A pilot needs to have 1000 SIC operating under 121 in order to be qualified to act as PIC under 121. There are a few things that can substitute or compliment the 1000 SIC requirement. One of them is PIC time in a turbojet/fan operated under 135, but the aircraft must have 10 or more seats. So, he is technically right that your citation PIC time would not count towards upgrade requirements if push came to shove. Someone generally won’t have that problem if they went 135 to major though as they will have accrued plenty of 121 SIC by the time upgrade would come around anyway. It was more of a problem at the regional level during the last boom. In some cases, seniority list movement was so quick that a first officer’s seniority could hold a captain spot before they even met the experience requirements. In that situation it helped if they came in with some other form of qualifying experience at their time of hire (like the discussed 135 PIC time).
TOGALOCK is offline  
Old 04-25-2021, 03:02 PM   #25  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Sqwk7700's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Aug 2014
Position: 121
Posts: 114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Guitar View Post
135 to LCC. Not too shabby.

Swa seems to appreciate the variety 135/corporate guys and gals bring to the table. My class had 4 or 5 of them.
Sqwk7700 is offline  
Old 04-25-2021, 03:10 PM   #26  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Air Guitar's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2019
Posts: 146
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqwk7700 View Post
Swa seems to appreciate the variety 135/corporate guys and gals bring to the table. My class had 4 or 5 of them.
Were they all fractional?
Air Guitar is offline  
Old 04-26-2021, 10:46 PM   #27  
New Hire
 
Joined APC: Apr 2021
Position: FO
Posts: 1
Default

had a similar question for those with way more experience with this than me.... turned 24 not too long ago, 2400 TT / 1000 121 SIC.. What's the best career move at this point? At a stable regional & very grateful for it. However upgrade time seems to be very distant due to covid, stay or seek a 135? half of my BS completed but not sure I can afford to finish. thinking is I'd go somewhere with considerably more pay, finish degree, maybe log TPIC faster and try to take that to UA/SW/ etc...? Appreciate any advice/feedback...
Lando11 is offline  
Old 04-27-2021, 05:38 AM   #28  
Prime Minister/Moderator
 
rickair7777's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim
Posts: 29,261
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lando11 View Post
had a similar question for those with way more experience with this than me.... turned 24 not too long ago, 2400 TT / 1000 121 SIC.. What's the best career move at this point? At a stable regional & very grateful for it. However upgrade time seems to be very distant due to covid, stay or seek a 135? half of my BS completed but not sure I can afford to finish. thinking is I'd go somewhere with considerably more pay, finish degree, maybe log TPIC faster and try to take that to UA/SW/ etc...? Appreciate any advice/feedback...
Probably depends on the regional. If it's a niche regional with little opportunity for growth and a stagnant seniority list then yeah it might make sense to go elsewhere. Bear in mind that 135 will take some hustle and has it's own warts as folks have mentioned here. Also possible that when hiring warms up at the majors that ULCC's will start taking regional FO's again like they did before covid. At your age it does make some sense to try to shoot for the legacy stars, since you'll have plenty of time to enjoy the left seat of a widebody.
rickair7777 is offline  
Old 04-27-2021, 09:57 AM   #29  
Perennial Reserve
 
Excargodog's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2018
Posts: 6,144
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
Probably depends on the regional. If it's a niche regional with little opportunity for growth and a stagnant seniority list then yeah it might make sense to go elsewhere. Bear in mind that 135 will take some hustle and has it's own warts as folks have mentioned here. Also possible that when hiring warms up at the majors that ULCC's will start taking regional FO's again like they did before covid. At your age it does make some sense to try to shoot for the legacy stars, since you'll have plenty of time to enjoy the left seat of a widebody.
or 40 years at NK or F9 would pay him about $10 million outright and build a 401k (depending on investment choices) of about $3.5 - 4 million.

He could likely scrape by on that, if he lived frugally...
Excargodog is online now  
Old 04-28-2021, 03:49 PM   #30  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Sqwk7700's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Aug 2014
Position: 121
Posts: 114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Guitar View Post
Were they all fractional?

None were from a fractional operator actually.
Sqwk7700 is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Starting a Pilot Career: The New Realities rickair7777 Flight Schools and Training 12 10-30-2014 04:46 PM
First Big Career Decision jarretk Career Questions 21 11-15-2013 08:09 AM
135 or 121 to get to majors? fitflyer Hiring News 16 07-28-2011 06:31 AM
Big Brown Brown Cargo 5 06-03-2008 11:05 AM
Taking The 135 ATP, But Flying 121 Outlaw2097 Flight Schools and Training 5 12-28-2007 07:50 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:47 PM.