Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-02-2016, 01:26 AM   #1  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
Thunder1's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2008
Position: 737 Right
Posts: 242
Default UBER for Packages = Amazon Flex

https://flex.amazon.com

Interesting concept....

How quickly can Amazon get an army of drivers in all the cities willing to use their own car and get paid $18-$25 per hour? I'd say pretty quick -- ALL of the fast food workers in America will be signing up to be either full time or part time drivers for Amazon and most would double their current pay.

So, Amazon leasing 20 767's and using the Uber model for its delivery drivers -- not a bad plan. Time will tell if it succeeds.
Thunder1 is offline  
Old 01-02-2016, 07:02 AM   #2  
Part Time Employee
 
MaxKts's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Dispersing Green House Gasses on a Global Basis
Posts: 1,917
Default

You're assuming all those "fast food" workers own an automobile! 😜
MaxKts is offline  
Old 01-02-2016, 07:48 AM   #3  
Gets Weekends Off
 
METO Guido's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2011
Posts: 691
Default

Yes, it's all too beautiful. Like when they cracked open the arc of the covenant and peered inside.
METO Guido is offline  
Old 01-02-2016, 04:00 PM   #4  
On Reserve
 
Harry Pommes's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2015
Position: B-757 Gear Actuator
Posts: 19
Default

So what happens when somebody robs the driver? Or perhaps when somebody "robs" the driver?
Harry Pommes is offline  
Old 01-02-2016, 07:38 PM   #5  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Jetjok's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: Retired
Posts: 3,589
Default

I'm wondering if driving my personal vehicle for Amazon, or any other commercial company, for that matter, requires me to hold a drivers license other than my standard drivers license. As well, I don't know for sure, but would suspect that I'd be required to let my car insurance company know that I was using my vehicle for commercial purposes. Then there's the background check that I'd most certainly have to go through, along with the workers compensation issues of a company hiring me to deliver large and small packages. The list must go on and on. Again, I'm not up to speed on any of this stuff, but would bet that it's going to be a big headache for Amazon, or any other company, who expects to have a multitude of independent contractors, delivering products for them. Then, when Amazon has all these drivers delivering for them, what happens when all the drivers decide that they're not paid sufficiently? Unionization may be next. Who knows, but it sure will be fun watching a whole new industry trying to break into the marketplace.
Jetjok is offline  
Old 01-02-2016, 11:44 PM   #6  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Ludicrous Speed's Avatar
 
Joined APC: May 2012
Posts: 349
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxKts View Post
You're assuming all those "fast food" workers own an automobile! ��
Not to mention, a car that is 5 or less years old. Hell, I fly airplanes and my car is 18 years old. Or maybe I'm just a cheapskate
Ludicrous Speed is offline  
Old 01-03-2016, 01:30 AM   #7  
Gets Weekends Off
 
NoSidNoStar's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2014
Posts: 473
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetjok View Post
I'm wondering if driving my personal vehicle for Amazon, or any other commercial company, for that matter, requires me to hold a drivers license other than my standard drivers license. As well, I don't know for sure, but would suspect that I'd be required to let my car insurance company know that I was using my vehicle for commercial purposes. Then there's the background check that I'd most certainly have to go through, along with the workers compensation issues of a company hiring me to deliver large and small packages. The list must go on and on. Again, I'm not up to speed on any of this stuff, but would bet that it's going to be a big headache for Amazon, or any other company, who expects to have a multitude of independent contractors, delivering products for them. Then, when Amazon has all these drivers delivering for them, what happens when all the drivers decide that they're not paid sufficiently? Unionization may be next. Who knows, but it sure will be fun watching a whole new industry trying to break into the marketplace.
You would wonder the same things about UBER, but their drivers don't have any of that. It's considered a private club, that's how they bypass all those requirements. Amazon could do the same thing.
NoSidNoStar is offline  
Old 01-03-2016, 03:18 AM   #8  
Banned
 
Joined APC: Dec 2015
Position: Aeroflot
Posts: 179
Default

Are the Amazon Uber drivers going to gouge customers for Holiday delivery like the real Uber drivers did on New Years?
Waldorf is offline  
Old 01-03-2016, 04:28 AM   #9  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Jetjok's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: Retired
Posts: 3,589
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSidNoStar View Post
You would wonder the same things about UBER, but their drivers don't have any of that. It's considered a private club, that's how they bypass all those requirements. Amazon could do the same thing.
I see, and what you say makes sense, except that from what I understand (which is admittedly not much), the UBER drivers are mostly part time, and with that in mind, I wonder if there are always enough UBER drivers in a city, to satisfy the consumers' need for their services. If not, no big deal, they just find alternative transportation, like a true cab, or a bus or train. What would Amazon do with not enough drivers at any given time, because it seems that Amazon would want time definite transport.
Jetjok is offline  
Old 01-03-2016, 09:49 AM   #10  
Gets Weekends Off
 
2StgTurbine's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,835
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldorf View Post
Are the Amazon Uber drivers going to gouge customers for Holiday delivery like the real Uber drivers did on New Years?
It is not the drivers that "gouge", it is Uber. Also, I wouldn't even call what they do gouging. During periods of high demand, they raise prices that most o the time is still cheaper than an actual cab. Before I found out about Uber, I had to pay a cab $22 to take me 3 miles to pick up my car in the parking lot. Then I found out Uber would take me from the airport all the way home for $12.
2StgTurbine is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Amazon Prime Air 727574drvr Cargo 541 01-09-2020 04:40 PM
Watch out Amazon Air... Here comes Alibaba Czech Airman Cargo 10 12-27-2015 10:16 PM
Amazon Drones, should we worry.. Rocket Bob Cargo 120 08-30-2014 08:20 AM
Amazon Prime Adds 1M New Customers in Dec DLax85 Cargo 5 01-06-2014 06:10 PM
The TA and the Flex fedupbusdriver Cargo 144 09-25-2006 07:42 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:48 AM.