Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Charter (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/charter/)
-   -   National Airlines (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/charter/84246-national-airlines.html)

Braniff DC8 10-01-2014 05:34 AM

National Airlines
 
Any latest news? Says they are hiring! The past news had not been great. Thanks.

Wright cyclones 10-06-2014 03:48 PM

National in MCO; who knows ???
 
I have no idea about National in MCO. I have tried for quite awhile to get on there but no luck. I simply cannot get noticed.

I have 4400 hours in the Classic 747-200, but as F/O, not enough seniority to upgrade and almost 10,000 hours in the DC-8, with a type, almost all as PIC.

I have extensive, worldwide, long range, international multi-time zone operations experience.

Finally, allot of mid-east AMC experience in Iraq and Afghanistan; which National does most of there flying.

Still no call.

Wright cyclones…………………the sound of power and freedom !!!!

niteav8tor 10-06-2014 05:21 PM

Class of 8 started today, 6 for the 757 and 2 for the 747. All are already typed, that seems to be the key to getting hired.

Tinpusher007 10-13-2014 07:20 AM

I have a good friend who is interviewing today; he is typed in the 75/67. I also have a good friend who is an F/A there who tried to help me get on and I was specifically told by the fleet mgr that I didn't meet their requirements because Im not typed in anything they fly.

LeadBottom 10-14-2014 07:19 AM

Got an email from Shira Matisak yesterday with the employment app. to send back. I am currently a RJ driver, so maybe there is still hope for those without 75/744 types.

Tinpusher007 10-14-2014 12:35 PM

That gives me hope. Perhaps Ill give it another try. Thx!

MR JT8D 10-14-2014 06:35 PM

Sounds like the class is full of older guys.

Wright cyclones 10-14-2014 07:33 PM

National------------who knows !!!
 
Yes, the classes are full of old guys. With all the heavy jets crews available; North American (757/767), World (747-400) Evergreen (747-400) and now Centurion( 747-400) National can pick and choose who they want.

I have 4400 hours in the -200 as F/O and 10,000 PIC in the DC-8 and years of Mideast experience; Iraq and Afghanistan, they do not even have the courtesy to even give me an interview !!!

Things happen for a reason !!!!! Who knows !!

Wright cyclones............the sound of power and freedom !!!

ContactApproach 10-14-2014 08:29 PM

Well I did receive the additional paper work from Shira Matisak, did submit but no response. 5200 TT, 1700 ME turbine PIC 91/135 ATP SE/ME BS Aeronautics.

CAandLookin 10-15-2014 10:46 AM

Filling mine out too, 4500TT, RJ, SF340 CA....crossing fingers..

dutch747 10-15-2014 11:18 AM

I don't see the attraction... Low wages, based in YIP.... What am I missing?

HercDriver130 10-15-2014 01:22 PM

probably still better than the regional they are coming from... and they have not been based in YIP for some time.... HQ is now in MCO.... they only thing they do in YIP is training at the K4 -400 sim.

dutch747 10-15-2014 04:58 PM

So are the pilots home based now?

niteav8tor 10-15-2014 05:03 PM


Originally Posted by dutch747 (Post 1747080)
So are the pilots home based now?

Yes they are..

727CA 10-15-2014 05:31 PM

The 20 days out is what's holding me back. I'm doing 16 out right now and it's beating the crap out of me.

ContactApproach 10-17-2014 08:24 PM

Any replies from HR after the submitting the second application?

Spartan74 10-19-2014 06:10 AM

I would be more concerned working for that clown they have as a Chief Pilot than the schedule. The former MIA ASSt. Chief Pilot for UPS.
He was fired by Kalita and UPS. That has to be a record!

Panzon 10-20-2014 04:21 AM


Originally Posted by Spartan74 (Post 1749228)
I would be more concerned working for that clown they have as a Chief Pilot than the schedule. The former MIA ASSt. Chief Pilot for UPS.
He was fired by Kalita and UPS. That has to be a record!

Yeow! Details?

bgraham 10-20-2014 10:47 AM


Originally Posted by Spartan74 (Post 1749228)
I would be more concerned working for that clown they have as a Chief Pilot than the schedule. The former MIA ASSt. Chief Pilot for UPS.
He was fired by Kalita and UPS. That has to be a record!

I had a short stay on the 757 before taking a recall to ATI, against my better judgement. I was treated well by all the folks at National. The instructors and check airman on the 757 are outstanding.
As for the CP, he is a stand up guy who is not afraid to speak his mind. That will get you fired at lots of places.

Plunder Hound 10-22-2014 07:38 AM

National Air Cargo (Sister company to the Airline) is BK

National Air Cargo Files for Bankruptcy Blaming Judgment, Defense Spending Cuts - iMarket Reports

Blanco 10-30-2014 02:05 PM


Originally Posted by Plunder Hound (Post 1751157)

So what does this mean for National? Still looking to hire?

BlueMoon 10-30-2014 02:21 PM


Originally Posted by Blanco (Post 1755905)
So what does this mean for National? Still looking to hire?

National Air Cargo files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection - ch-aviation.com

" The filing in no way affects National Airlines or NAC Inc.'s parent firm National Air Cargo Holdings, Inc."

Blanco 10-30-2014 02:30 PM

Thanks BlueMoon!

Wright cyclones 11-03-2014 10:37 AM

I understand National is interviewing now !!
 
Any body know what is going on ?? I was told National is interviewing this week for both fleets; 747/757.

Any possible explanation on this; expansion, new contracts, new aircraft, people leaving, vacations, resignations, ??

Any information is and will be most appreciated.

Wright Cyclones.....................the sound of freedom. !!!!

JeffA 11-03-2014 11:13 AM

I start on Monday the 10th. 757 class only I believe.

BuddhaPilot73 11-22-2014 09:35 AM

National started advertising on US Pilot for both 757 and 747 slots yesterday. Dropped a resume as I'm applying for about anything I'm qualified for and seeing what comes my way. Anyone know their current pay scale?

Awi8tr 11-29-2014 05:24 AM

I am currently working at National, here are their pay-scales on the 757:

FO 1st year 66, 2nd 72, 3rd 76, 4th 85, max 12th 101
CA 1st year 90, 2nd 105, 3rd 110, 4th 125, max 12th 159

currently based on a 25 hrs guarantee every 2 weeks, sounds weird I know and it is, but will probably change to a monthly guarantee in the near future.

- per diem: 1.25 domestically 2.60 international
- flying on days off: block +2 hrs or 5 hrs whichever is greater
- deadhead is credited 50% towards guarantee
- 401k first 3% is matched 100% then next 3% is matched 50%
- excellent healthcare

in contract to buy 2 more 757s, i.e. doubling the fleet and probably another class in January. No cross bidding into the 747 allowed. Mostly charter work with currently a 5 hour call-out at home base, where ever that might be. But received scheduled certification and qualified to fly that as well.

Good place to work, if you like international stuff including places your significant other probably don't want you to fly into. Good luck !

ImperialxRat 12-05-2014 01:52 PM

Do you break guarantee, or get soft time? Those are some brutal pay scales.


Originally Posted by Awi8tr (Post 1772682)
I am currently working at National, here are their pay-scales on the 757:

FO 1st year 66, 2nd 72, 3rd 76, 4th 85, max 12th 101
CA 1st year 90, 2nd 105, 3rd 110, 4th 125, max 12th 159

currently based on a 25 hrs guarantee every 2 weeks, sounds weird I know and it is, but will probably change to a monthly guarantee in the near future.

- per diem: 1.25 domestically 2.60 international
- flying on days off: block +2 hrs or 5 hrs whichever is greater
- deadhead is credited 50% towards guarantee
- 401k first 3% is matched 100% then next 3% is matched 50%
- excellent healthcare

in contract to buy 2 more 757s, i.e. doubling the fleet and probably another class in January. No cross bidding into the 747 allowed. Mostly charter work with currently a 5 hour call-out at home base, where ever that might be. But received scheduled certification and qualified to fly that as well.

Good place to work, if you like international stuff including places your significant other probably don't want you to fly into. Good luck !


Awi8tr 12-05-2014 11:41 PM

Yes most of us are breaking guarantee most months, and yes those are brutal pay scales, especially for the type of flying we are doing. But being furloughed was my other "option". Also, I forgot to mention we have trip-rig, which is 3 hrs/day after the first 24 hrs.

The company is still in transition and getting away from the old DC-8 "Murray-Air" mentality. The new DO is very capable and is improving the airline and how things are run. But any airline has some initial inertia which takes some time to overcome. But ever since I was hired a couple years back, I have seen quite a few improvements, scheduled Flag Air Carrier approval, updated manuals, EFB (i-pads) approval, new airplanes, ETOPS in the works, then CAT II, some obstinate guys being let go, etc etc.

For some younger guys in the beginning of their careers it would be a great stepping stone with valuable experience. For the experienced folks, well there are better options out there but being "seasoned" and over 50 the majors may not necessarily favor them.

Garuda 12-13-2014 07:48 PM

Any news from National--class dates,fleet expansion?

RickySpanish 12-23-2014 06:36 PM

Are the schedules still 20-10 and realistically how much over guarantee could someone expect?

Awi8tr 12-25-2014 09:51 AM

Some lines are 20 on 10 off, some lines have 6 to 8 days off per block. You bid a 2 months cycle with a total of now 21 days off. It's all very random if you go over guarantee or not. The trips are being scheduled not that far in advance, so you never know if your line will have trips on your off days or on days. Also quite often, since we are still short on pilots, one is being asked to work on one's off days, but you can decline without penalties.

Since we are getting 2 new birds this spring things might change in regards to how much you fly (probably more flying with less dead heads). Also heard there will be another 747 class in Jan or Feb and another 757 class after that. One rumor is that by the end of 2016 we will have two 777 on the property, not sure if cargo or PAX.

RickySpanish 12-29-2014 06:12 AM

Thanks for the info awi8tr!

Blanco 01-02-2015 01:09 PM

Got a call for an interview. What is the interview experience like at National?

Plunder Hound 01-14-2015 07:05 PM

Its mostly a panel interview, they don't have a sim. Not a big deal, just a get to know you interview. Good luck.

Wright cyclones 01-19-2015 10:57 AM

Information at National ---please !!!
 
Hello !!!!

Just received the application and pilot questionaire from National.

Can someone please fill me in on the companies expansion plans on the flight operations side ?? PLEASE !!!

How many aircraft are you flying ? where do you fly to ?? expansion plans ?? interview process ?? names of senior flight ops managers ??
pay scales, benefits, training process - indoc, ground school, sim training, where, training pay, benefits, upgrade times, etc, etc.

I am a out of work freight dog - - -I feel like I will fit in.

Thank you

Wright cyclones

Awi8tr 01-19-2015 05:34 PM

Wright - I understand being out of work is a stressful time, I have been there numerous times, but you might want to stop panicking and calm down a bit. =)
Just read the thread and you will find many answers to your questions.

HVYMETALDRVR 01-20-2015 07:17 AM

What kind of rest are you guys getting on the road? Min FAA rest all the time? Any passenger stuff so you can use 117 or just pure cargo? Also what are some common overnights and destinations (besides Afghanistan and the Middle East). Is it common to be deadheaded halfway around the planet to sit reserve? if so what are some common spots?

Not necessarily saying these things are bad. Just trying to a feel of what to expect on the line.

Awi8tr 01-22-2015 06:19 AM

Well since we have 757s (PAX only) and 747s (Cargo only), we are complying with the 117 rules on the 757 only. Rest on the road various from min rest to having a nice lay-over of several days and anything in between.
I have had occasions where the whole crew sat in Portugal for 5 days, waiting for the airplane to return back from the States and pick us back up for a crew change. On the other hand, especially if you ferry the airplane empty, you might just get those 10 required hours.

On the DH side of things: you don't really DH around the world to sit reserve anywhere. The purpose of DH you somewhere is to position you ahead of the airplane, which needs a crew change when it catches up with you. Some DHs are longer than others, longest I did was Malaysia via Doha back to the States and a total of 4 legs. Once I was done my body didn't know if I was going or coming and it took me 3 days to recover. But those DHs are rare and with two more 757s coming on line in April or May we probably DH and sit less, because crew scheduling will have more options of using us more efficiently.

Destinations I will not disclose, because of obvious security reasons. If there is an Air or Army Base we probably have gone there or will go there in the future. Rumor has it, that Afghanistan is out of the picture for now. :D

HVYMETALDRVR 01-22-2015 12:36 PM


Originally Posted by Awi8tr (Post 1809138)
Well since we have 757s (PAX only) and 747s (Cargo only), we are complying with the 117 rules on the 757 only. Rest on the road various from min rest to having a nice lay-over of several days and anything in between.
I have had occasions where the whole crew sat in Portugal for 5 days, waiting for the airplane to return back from the States and pick us back up for a crew change. On the other hand, especially if you ferry the airplane empty, you might just get those 10 required hours.

On the DH side of things: you don't really DH around the world to sit reserve anywhere. The purpose of DH you somewhere is to position you ahead of the airplane, which needs a crew change when it catches up with you. Some DHs are longer than others, longest I did was Malaysia via Doha back to the States and a total of 4 legs. Once I was done my body didn't know if I was going or coming and it took me 3 days to recover. But those DHs are rare and with two more 757s coming on line in April or May we probably DH and sit less, because crew scheduling will have more options of using us more efficiently.

Destinations I will not disclose, because of obvious security reasons. If there is an Air or Army Base we probably have gone there or will go there in the future. Rumor has it, that Afghanistan is out of the picture for now. :D

Thanks for the answers! Do you guys have any contracts or do much flying that's not mil related you can talk more about?


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:34 AM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Website Copyright ©2000 - 2017 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands