Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Airline Pilot Forums > Major > Delta
MBCBP implementation announced… >

MBCBP implementation announced…

Notices

MBCBP implementation announced…

Old 05-25-2023, 02:37 PM
  #1  
Me? Just lucky to be here
Thread Starter
 
Bo Darville's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Sep 2021
Position: 757/767 FO
Posts: 80
Default MBCBP implementation announced…

Negotiator’s Notepad 23-17 outlines implementation of the MBCBP. The selected fund will be LIRKX. Thoughts from the financial gurus among us?

-Bo
Bo Darville is offline  
Old 05-25-2023, 02:44 PM
  #2  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: May 2022
Posts: 323
Default

Originally Posted by Bo Darville View Post
Negotiator’s Notepad 23-17 outlines implementation of the MBCBP. The selected fund will be LIRKX. Thoughts from the financial gurus among us?

-Bo
Default is to opt in to the plan, and if you choose to opt out, you're never allowed back in. Guess I'll be passing. Would be nice to be able to change your mind as you get closer to retirement.
Puddytatt is offline  
Old 05-25-2023, 02:45 PM
  #3  
Roll’n Thunder
 
Joined APC: Oct 2009
Position: Pilot
Posts: 3,541
Default

Originally Posted by Bo Darville View Post
Negotiator’s Notepad 23-17 outlines implementation of the MBCBP. The selected fund will be LIRKX. Thoughts from the financial gurus among us?

-Bo
I'm going to wait until more plan details come out so I can have my financial planner look over it and offer his input, but my gut is to opt out. Between company DC, my 401k contributions, my wife's 401k contributions, and backdoor Roth IRA's, we're already putting close to 100k/year into tax advantaged stock investments. That alone will be millions of dollars by retirement, and I'd like to have the cash in my own hands to be able to branch into other investments such as real estate instead of putting it into another stock vehicle with less than stellar returns.
tennisguru is offline  
Old 05-25-2023, 02:53 PM
  #4  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Gunfighter's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,456
Default

Originally Posted by Bo Darville View Post
Negotiator’s Notepad 23-17 outlines implementation of the MBCBP. The selected fund will be LIRKX. Thoughts from the financial gurus among us?

-Bo
Good for some, bad for others, glad it's optional.

​​​​​​The best use case I can argue for is short term income tax arbitrage. Using it to defer income in expectation of a lower tax rate in a couple years could be a benefit to some older pilots.

A younger pilot using it for a long term retirement savings could do much better.

​​​​
Gunfighter is online now  
Old 05-25-2023, 03:20 PM
  #5  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Jughead135's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Sep 2011
Position: Hates Commuting
Posts: 888
Default

Originally Posted by Gunfighter View Post
Good for some, bad for others, glad it's optional.

​​​​​​The best use case I can argue for is short term income tax arbitrage. Using it to defer income in expectation of a lower tax rate in a couple years could be a benefit to some older pilots.

A younger pilot using it for a long term retirement savings could do much better.

​​​​
Does that take into account the tax-advantaged nature (deferred taxation)? You mention the lower tax rate expectation; what about avoiding current-year taxation on growth until withdrawal (at that expected lower tax rate)? I'm a big believer in maxing out tax-advantaged accounts....

I don't know anything (yet) about this investment vehicle (LIRKX--thanks to the OP for looking up the code), but, assuming it's at least middle-of-the-road, I suspect the tax treatment could make this more valuable than some critics would have us believe.
Jughead135 is offline  
Old 05-25-2023, 03:26 PM
  #6  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Oct 2017
Posts: 379
Default

Originally Posted by Jughead135 View Post
Does that take into account the tax-advantaged nature (deferred taxation)? You mention the lower tax rate expectation; what about avoiding current-year taxation on growth until withdrawal (at that expected lower tax rate)? I'm a big believer in maxing out tax-advantaged accounts....

I don't know anything (yet) about this investment vehicle (LIRKX--thanks to the OP for looking up the code), but, assuming it's at least middle-of-the-road, I suspect the tax treatment could make this more valuable than some critics would have us believe.
In addition to being tax deferred, the contributions are exempt from ALPA dues so there’s an instant 1.8ish% boost.
Go Cards go is offline  
Old 05-25-2023, 03:32 PM
  #7  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,638
Default

Originally Posted by Jughead135 View Post
Does that take into account the tax-advantaged nature (deferred taxation)? You mention the lower tax rate expectation; what about avoiding current-year taxation on growth until withdrawal (at that expected lower tax rate)? I'm a big believer in maxing out tax-advantaged accounts....

I don't know anything (yet) about this investment vehicle (LIRKX--thanks to the OP for looking up the code), but, assuming it's at least middle-of-the-road, I suspect the tax treatment could make this more valuable than some critics would have us believe.
Are sure it’s LIRKX?
I googled and found LIRIX.

Not sure if it’s the right one.

First impression is use the MBCBP for your bond allocation and run the 401k plan a little hotter with equities. Take the 1.8% tailwind from lack of Alpa dues. Re-evaluate your asset allocation based upon your age.
Planetrain is offline  
Old 05-25-2023, 03:33 PM
  #8  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Gunfighter's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,456
Default

Originally Posted by Go Cards go View Post
In addition to being tax deferred, the contributions are exempt from ALPA dues so there’s an instant 1.8ish% boost.
That is another point in favor of the short term arbitrage approach, especially when combined with the possibility of an in service withdrawal. If you are over 59 1/2 it could be an instant 1.8%.
Gunfighter is online now  
Old 05-25-2023, 03:39 PM
  #9  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Dec 2013
Posts: 2,236
Default

I don’t think I have ever gotten excess 401k cash. Is it combined company/personal contributions over $56k? So by lowering your own contributions you have some control over how much and how soon in the year money would go into the MBCP? Or is it just the $19k 401 limit?

Last edited by Nantonaku; 05-25-2023 at 03:58 PM.
Nantonaku is offline  
Old 05-25-2023, 03:40 PM
  #10  
Gets Weekends Off
 
illini90's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Dec 2013
Position: 737 CA
Posts: 131
Default

Originally Posted by Go Cards go View Post
In addition to being tax deferred, the contributions are exempt from ALPA dues so there’s an instant 1.8ish% boost.
To go along with your 3% return on a bond fund? That’s what it historically returns. I’d rather have the 18% cash and invest some of it elsewhere, and use some of it towards fun today. If you put it in this plan, you’re there forever, watching it flatline. If you turn it down, you will have a bunch of cash and options to invest or spend. Investing isn’t always a tax advantaged account. Sometimes you need to invest in enhancing your life today, while you can enjoy it. Buy your ski condo today, use it with your kids and grand kids, sell it when you can’t ski anymore. I bet you’ll make better than 3% return. At least way I see it.
illini90 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Bucking Bar
Delta
395
11-18-2022 05:36 AM
PilotWombat
Delta
18
01-27-2020 10:30 AM
Adlerdriver
FedEx
4
06-16-2017 07:13 AM
Snarge
United
56
02-12-2013 06:33 AM
embflieger
United
19
12-23-2012 02:42 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Your Privacy Choices