Notices
Envoy Airlines Regional Airline

DEC

Old 07-04-2023, 12:57 PM
  #1  
New Hire
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: May 2017
Posts: 2
Default DEC

Are the DECís that are being hired making it through training for the most part. Will be current, study and an attitude to learn and be taught.
wanttofly797 is offline  
Old 07-04-2023, 04:32 PM
  #2  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jan 2017
Posts: 2,503
Default

Originally Posted by wanttofly797 View Post
Are the DECís that are being hired making it through training for the most part. Will be current, study and an attitude to learn and be taught.
The training is sufficient to get a competent pilot through. Some of the non line qualified instructors are hit and miss. All the seniority list instructors and check airmen are great. If you put the work in and have a good attitude, they will do everything they can and you can make it through. There are certainly some that donít make it through and honestly there are some that take a bit longer to get weeded out than others.
pitchattitude is offline  
Old 07-04-2023, 04:39 PM
  #3  
Disinterested Third Party
 
Joined APC: Jun 2012
Posts: 5,391
Default

Don't forget to use your words; complete sentences. Punctuation matters.
JohnBurke is offline  
Old 07-05-2023, 05:11 AM
  #4  
Line Holder
 
Satoshikitty's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2022
Posts: 25
Default

Originally Posted by wanttofly797 View Post
Are the DEC’s that are being hired making it through training for the most part. Will be current, study and an attitude to learn and be taught.
I was in a class of 50+, almost all DECs (3 F/Os I think?), and 3 that I know of didn't make it. Of those 3, one quit because he didn't want to go to remedial training, and the other 2 were let go after IOE.

During my brief career, I have attended flight training with Flight Safety and 2 airlines, and I can tell you this: I have never experienced such disorganized, unstandardized training, anywhere!

However, as mentioned above, my experience with instructors was very positive, as they are all very nice and always willing to help if needed. A stark contrast to my previous airline training experience, 20 years ago.

I hadn't flown in 13 years, a friend of mine in almost 20 years, neither of us had any difficulty getting though training. As long as you study your flows, call-outs and procedures, and your judgement is sound, you will be fine ;-)
Satoshikitty is offline  
Old 07-05-2023, 04:39 PM
  #5  
Gets Weekends Off
 
cfii2007's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,213
Default

Originally Posted by Satoshikitty View Post
I was in a class of 50+, almost all DECs (3 F/Os I think?), and 3 that I know of didn't make it. Of those 3, one quit because he didn't want to go to remedial training, and the other 2 were let go after IOE.

During my brief career, I have attended flight training with Flight Safety and 2 airlines, and I can tell you this: I have never experienced such disorganized, unstandardized training, anywhere!

However, as mentioned above, my experience with instructors was very positive, as they are all very nice and always willing to help if needed. A stark contrast to my previous airline training experience, 20 years ago.

I hadn't flown in 13 years, a friend of mine in almost 20 years, neither of us had any difficulty getting though training. As long as you study your flows, call-outs and procedures, and your judgement is sound, you will be fine ;-)
Stupid question, but how can you be fired after IOE?
cfii2007 is offline  
Old 07-05-2023, 05:59 PM
  #6  
Disinterested Third Party
 
Joined APC: Jun 2012
Posts: 5,391
Default

Originally Posted by cfii2007 View Post
Stupid question, but how can you be fired after IOE?
Do something stupid.

Not at Envoy, but I've seen people fired after OE following numerous F/O complaints, and I've seen people fired for doing anything from smearing their hotel room with feces to threatening crewmembers, drinking on the job, lying, screaming at hotel check-in staff. Line checks, unsafe behavior, damaging an airplane, even social media posts.

I've also seen an upgrade fail his LOFT ride after his upgrade training is all but done; there's no such thing as "non-jeopardy," no matter what anyone may tell you.
JohnBurke is offline  
Old 07-05-2023, 06:02 PM
  #7  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Apr 2022
Posts: 155
Default

Originally Posted by cfii2007 View Post
Stupid question, but how can you be fired after IOE?
In order to pass IOE as a DEC, you must pass a line check and Fed Ride. They are looking for people who act like a captain, exhibit sound judgment, who make their altitude and speed restrictions, and donít bust any FARs or aircraft limitations. Even an FO can fail IOE if no line check airman will sign them off after lots of extra IOE time. It is not common to be let go after IOE, but there is more to being a good line pilot than the ability to pass a checkride.

All new captains at Envoy are required to get 50 hours of IOE, FOs get 25 hours of IOE. They will give you more if needed, but eventually someone is going to make a judgement call on you.
Ravenwing is offline  
Old 07-05-2023, 11:15 PM
  #8  
Line Holder
 
Satoshikitty's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2022
Posts: 25
Default

Originally Posted by cfii2007 View Post
Stupid question, but how can you be fired after IOE?
I should have said "During" IOE, since that's the part of the training they didn't pass... I would say that it's an unusual part of the training to fail, but it does happen. Poor judgement, inability to transfer your learned skills to the line, exceedingly poor CRM, absence of time management, etc.
Satoshikitty is offline  
Old 07-05-2023, 11:23 PM
  #9  
Line Holder
 
Satoshikitty's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2022
Posts: 25
Default

Originally Posted by johnburke View Post
do something stupid.

... Doing anything from smearing their hotel room with feces...
oh-my-gawd! 😳

Last edited by Satoshikitty; 07-05-2023 at 11:40 PM.
Satoshikitty is offline  
Old 07-06-2023, 04:12 PM
  #10  
Disinterested Third Party
 
Joined APC: Jun 2012
Posts: 5,391
Default

Originally Posted by Satoshikitty View Post
oh-my-gawd! 😳
Oh, that's tame compared to some.
JohnBurke is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
SeriousShirley
Piedmont Airlines
15
06-12-2019 11:31 AM
SeriousShirley
Regional
0
05-31-2019 05:37 PM
DLax85
Cargo
11
12-07-2014 04:00 PM
Botas
Major
39
06-01-2014 01:17 PM
DLax85
Cargo
17
12-14-2013 01:47 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread