Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

User Tag List

Post Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-10-2014, 12:05 PM   #1  
New Hire
Thread Starter
Joined APC: Sep 2014
Posts: 1
Post FAA instruction in Canada

Hello this is my first post here. I feel someone who is versed in Canadian ops would be able to answer this better, but all replies are welcome!

I am a FAA CFI who has worked in the USA as a flight instructor. Currently, I am working for a company in Canada who I do a little bit of for within the USA. I usually fly SR-22's. I have been asked by company personal about providing flight training while we go on our business trips to the USA. I know that I can provide flight training within the USA only in US registered aircraft and I have been working with AFSP to set things up. However, my question is what are the possibilities of conducting flight training in Canada (Departing and Arriving at canadian airports) under a FAA license in a USA registered aircraft to a Canadian student for the purpose of getting their USA private and instrument certificates? I have talked to the FAA and they don't have an issue with it, however, I have not been able to reach Canadian authorities on this subject and they fail to return my calls. This is my first attempt at providing instruction as an individual CFI. Does anyone know what the implications are with Canada here and what I need to do or where to look to find out if this is legal in Canada? Is this even possible?
I also have my Canadian CPL and IFR and wondering what are the possibilities of giving instruction in an C-registered aircraft within Canada? I am pretty sure I know the answer since I don't have my Canadian flight instructor licenses. But doesn't hurt to ask.

Last edited by lmerani; 09-10-2014 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Add a question
lmerani is offline  
Old 11-17-2020, 07:38 AM   #2  
New Hire
Joined APC: Nov 2020
Posts: 1
Default FAA CFII in Canada

Just wondering if you were able to instruct in Canada.
I hold FAA CPL, IR and MER.
Tryung to convert my license to TC.
I wrote the FAAIA and the FAACA but need an FAA IPC.
Any chance you cpuld assist me or who someone who could.
I am willing to travel anywhere within Canada.
Look forward to you assistance

206commander is offline  
Old 11-20-2020, 02:36 PM   #3  
Gets Weekends Off
joepilot's Avatar
Joined APC: Jul 2008
Position: 747 Captain (Ret,)
Posts: 694

A US CFI can instruct in a US registered aircraft worldwide.

You would need a Canadian CPL to fly (and get paid) in a Canadian registered aircraft in Canada.

You would need a Canadian CFI to instruct in Canada in a Canadian registered aircraft.

If you can get the Canadian registered aircraft to the US, then your US CFI will allow you to instruct in that aircraft while in the US only.

You could not take the Canadian registered aircraft to Mexico without a Canadian CPL, and you could not instruct in that aircraft without a Canadian CFI.

joepilot is offline  

Post Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
IPA Comments to FAA Regarding Part 117 Naven Cargo 26 02-14-2013 11:49 AM
Air Canada Jazz aircanada_addict Regional 20 10-05-2012 09:25 PM
FAA Proposes $359,000 fine for SkyWest palgia841 Regional 17 01-21-2011 05:37 PM
The faa........not doing it by the book ewrbasedpilot Major 1 12-10-2010 07:44 AM
Anyone heard anything about the new bill? USMC3197 Regional 66 11-12-2009 07:54 PM

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:25 AM.