Notices
Hangar Talk For non-aviation-related discussion and aviation threads that don't belong elsewhere

Tool of the day

Old 04-03-2017, 05:47 PM
  #9101  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Sep 2011
Position: LearJet 31A, 70, PC12NG, PAY31, B200
Posts: 83
Default

Ok not aviation toolish but toolish nonetheless...the d-bag who emailed the LPGA about a rules infraction that he/she saw on tv..and then the LPGA and USGA enforcing it the next day. Cost the player the title..
The Plainsman is offline  
Old 04-03-2017, 08:41 PM
  #9102  
Gets Weekends Off
 
trip's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,004
Default

It's a peer-pressure pass-it-along thing. I've seen it a lot over the holidays in mcdonalds drive thru lines, of all places.l
So that's why that car ahead paid for my Del Taco the other night.

As for Coffee, we quit buying Starbucks and Seatles best (Starbucks) at our house. Lots of choices these days for coffee, we just don't need a double shot of politics with the morning joe.
trip is offline  
Old 04-03-2017, 08:58 PM
  #9103  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Albief15's Avatar
 
Joined APC: May 2006
Posts: 2,626
Default

Originally Posted by saxman66 View Post
I was getting Starbucks and the couple in front of me started chatting me up in the line. They get to the front and order and they insist on buying me whatever I want. Cool! So I take them up on it, and simply order a normal coffee worth about $3. I thank them profusely, and even ask if they happen to be on my flight so I could perhaps make sure they get taken care of. Of course they aren't, but oh well. I tried.

So here's the TOTD: I'm at the table putting cream into my coffee while a Starbucks employee is refilling napkins and such and he says to me, "You know bro. When someone does something nice for me, I usually reciprocate and do something nice for someone else. That's how society works dude." It took a second to process what he was saying. What?! I realized by his tone of voice he was basically calling me out and saying I was a big jerk. What was I suppose to do? Buy coffee for the next guy, and then he do the same? When does it end? Do the next 20 people in line have to do it now, meaning someone is going to be the jerk eventually. Am I the tool for not buying coffee now? I'll admit it didn't even cross my mind. (queue Curb Your Enthusiasm theme)
Correct answer:

"Dude...I know you probably didn't cover this in your "All men are pigs" or your "White Privilege is Wrong" 3 credit hour classes, and your mom probably doesn't have time to come down to the basement and explain it to you, but I am a pilot. I pick up USA Today from an airplane seat when someone else is done with it. I take soap home from the hotel room, and even the coffee filter packets. I'll stand in the rain for 20 minutes for a free airport shuttle to avoid paying a 4 dollar taxi ride to the hotel, and you expect me to buy someone a 6 dollar Latte?
Albief15 is offline  
Old 04-03-2017, 09:00 PM
  #9104  
Gets Weekends Off
 
OneEyedMonster's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2017
Posts: 240
Default

Originally Posted by trip View Post
So that's why that car ahead paid for my Del Taco the other night.

As for Coffee, we quit buying Starbucks and Seatles best (Starbucks) at our house. Lots of choices these days for coffee, we just don't need a double shot of politics with the morning joe.
And Starbucks sucks anyways. Plenty of local coffee roasters in your home town, small businesses, doing great things. Why spend $12 for a bag of Starbucks beans, roasted 4 weeks ago when you can spend the same and support a local roaster who roasted a batch that day?
OneEyedMonster is offline  
Old 04-03-2017, 10:33 PM
  #9105  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Dec 2005
Posts: 8,291
Default

Originally Posted by Albief15 View Post
Correct answer:

"Dude...I know you probably didn't cover this in your "All men are pigs" or your "White Privilege is Wrong" 3 credit hour classes, and your mom probably doesn't have time to come down to the basement and explain it to you, but I am a pilot. I pick up USA Today from an airplane seat when someone else is done with it. I take soap home from the hotel room, and even the coffee filter packets. I'll stand in the rain for 20 minutes for a free airport shuttle to avoid paying a 4 dollar taxi ride to the hotel, and you expect me to buy someone a 6 dollar Latte?
Hahahaa
ShyGuy is offline  
Old 04-03-2017, 10:40 PM
  #9106  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jan 2011
Position: A Nobody
Posts: 1,558
Default

Originally Posted by Albief15 View Post
Correct answer:

"Dude...I know you probably didn't cover this in your "All men are pigs" or your "White Privilege is Wrong" 3 credit hour classes, and your mom probably doesn't have time to come down to the basement and explain it to you, but I am a pilot. I pick up USA Today from an airplane seat when someone else is done with it. I take soap home from the hotel room, and even the coffee filter packets. I'll stand in the rain for 20 minutes for a free airport shuttle to avoid paying a 4 dollar taxi ride to the hotel, and you expect me to buy someone a 6 dollar Latte?
Now that made me laugh!!!!

Thank you very much.
Regularguy is offline  
Old 04-03-2017, 11:36 PM
  #9107  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: May 2014
Position: B-767
Posts: 158
Default

Originally Posted by Keizer Soze View Post
The napkin guy is the tool. He should keep his mouth shut and do his job and not harass his customers. But, I have come to expect this kind of thing from Starbucks. After all, this is the place where you get dirty looks for ordering a medium coffee in English instead of a Grande Dark Roast in Starbuckian.

Seriously though, the napkin guy couldn't possibly know if the nice folks in line buying you a coffee - excuse me, a Dark Roast - was a kindness being returned to you for an earlier good deed you performed. I do good deeds all the time and never expect anything in return. Isn't that kind of the point? If you expect something in return then isn't that a favor and not a good deed? Napkin guy doesn't really sound like an expert on how society works. In full disclosure, nor am I an expert. But I do know enough not to go out of my way to call out a customer for what I believe is a perceived slight.

But, whatever! That is why Starbucks is absolutely a last resort for me. I am tired of overpaying 300-400% for a product only to be thrown dirty looks because I don't know, nor am I interested in learning, their language.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSk0B0dVq4g
White Cap is offline  
Old 04-04-2017, 02:34 AM
  #9108  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Keizer Soze's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2015
Posts: 188
Default

Originally Posted by White Cap View Post
Great scene! Hahahaha!
Keizer Soze is offline  
Old 04-04-2017, 03:40 AM
  #9109  
Gets Weekends Off
 
captjns's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: B-737NG preferably in first class with a glass of champagne and caviar
Posts: 5,536
Default

Originally Posted by trip View Post
So that's why that car ahead paid for my Del Taco the other night.

As for Coffee, we quit buying Starbucks and Seatles best (Starbucks) at our house. Lots of choices these days for coffee, we just don't need a double shot of politics with the morning joe.
We support our local proprietors versus the K-Mart, or Walmart, etal, which close down the local stores when they invade our area. Then they close down their superstores, leaving a void in the local area with a rise in unemployment. Aren't these big superstores, (bunch of tools) continue to support foreign economies rather than selling goods manufactured in the U.S.?

That said we patronize the local grinder, and other stores in the a.m. for our morning joe (1/2 the price and twice as good as Starbucks) watching Morning Joe, and fresh baked goods too. Read our local paper and chat with locals who live in our area.
captjns is offline  
Old 04-04-2017, 04:49 AM
  #9110  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: 7ER B...whatever that means.
Posts: 3,806
Default

Originally Posted by trip View Post
So that's why that car ahead paid for my Del Taco the other night.

As for Coffee, we quit buying Starbucks and Seatles best (Starbucks) at our house. Lots of choices these days for coffee, we just don't need a double shot of politics with the morning joe.
Originally Posted by OneEyedMonster View Post
And Starbucks sucks anyways. Plenty of local coffee roasters in your home town, small businesses, doing great things. Why spend $12 for a bag of Starbucks beans, roasted 4 weeks ago when you can spend the same and support a local roaster who roasted a batch that day?
Originally Posted by captjns View Post
We support our local proprietors versus the K-Mart, or Walmart, etal, which close down the local stores when they invade our area. Then they close down their superstores, leaving a void in the local area with a rise in unemployment. Aren't these big superstores, (bunch of tools) continue to support foreign economies rather than selling goods manufactured in the U.S.?

That said we patronize the local grinder, and other stores in the a.m. for our morning joe (1/2 the price and twice as good as Starbucks) watching Morning Joe, and fresh baked goods too. Read our local paper and chat with locals who live in our area.
I applaud your socially responsible actions! ...Except that they don't fly when you're bleary eyed in PHL at 6am and your only options are Dunkin (blech), ship's brew (gamble) or the 'bucks (meh). In over 10 years I have only flown with ONE GUY who's commitment to locally roasted, truly good coffee/spurning of the Starbucks-Mommy Mafia industrial complex went so far as carrying grounds for a four-day in an air tight container and a French press. Probably saves a good bit of cash too vs $2 a pop at the 'bucks!
freezingflyboy is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Elvis90
Military
2
11-11-2010 09:25 AM
meloveboeing
Regional
5
10-02-2010 07:47 AM
kc135driver
United
119
08-24-2010 08:30 AM
exerauflyboy5
Flight Schools and Training
15
02-18-2009 08:29 PM
Busdriver
JetBlue
70
01-16-2006 10:32 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread