Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Career Builder > Military
Is Other Time worthless? >

Is Other Time worthless?

Notices
Military Military Aviation

Is Other Time worthless?

Old 04-01-2024, 02:20 PM
  #1  
Too little too late
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: May 2023
Posts: 17
Default Is Other Time worthless?

I know Delta doesn’t accept Other time according to AirlineApps, but do other Legacy/Major/ULCC/Cargo carriers incorporate Other time in their TT calculations?

I was unfortunate to be assigned to an overmanned platform that was slowly diverting g without doing anything about manning…needless to say I have ~500hrs of other time.
Wdc0001 is offline  
Old 04-01-2024, 03:22 PM
  #2  
Disinterested Third Party
 
Joined APC: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,005
Default

Worthless? Of coruse not. It's experience.

Can you claim it or use it for a job application?

No, not unless you can claim it as second in command, or you can find a classification appropriate to that time under 14 CFR 61.51.
JohnBurke is offline  
Old 04-01-2024, 03:51 PM
  #3  
Occasional box hauler
 
Joined APC: Jan 2018
Posts: 1,678
Default

Originally Posted by Wdc0001 View Post
I know Delta doesn’t accept Other time according to AirlineApps, but do other Legacy/Major/ULCC/Cargo carriers incorporate Other time in their TT calculations?

I was unfortunate to be assigned to an overmanned platform that was slowly diverting g without doing anything about manning…needless to say I have ~500hrs of other time.
If you went to the trouble to log your time in your own logbook using civilian standards some of it might be worth something. However, if there is a difference between what your flight records show your times are and what your civilian logbook and application show, you may have an uncomfortable and unproductive conversation at the interview. Ultimately, your best bet would be to apply where you want to go now, but also apply to some safety net jobs (ULCC, Guard, Reserve, etc).
tnkrdrvr is offline  
Old 04-01-2024, 05:12 PM
  #4  
Speed Verified
 
Beech Dude's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Sep 2017
Posts: 1,020
Default

Originally Posted by tnkrdrvr View Post
If you went to the trouble to log your time in your own logbook using civilian standards some of it might be worth something. However, if there is a difference between what your flight records show your times are and what your civilian logbook and application show, you may have an uncomfortable and unproductive conversation at the interview. Ultimately, your best bet would be to apply where you want to go now, but also apply to some safety net jobs (ULCC, Guard, Reserve, etc).

I'll keep it simple. Yes, it is worthless.
Beech Dude is offline  
Old 04-02-2024, 06:57 AM
  #5  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Aug 2019
Posts: 1,010
Default

Yes..........
Stan446 is offline  
Old 04-02-2024, 07:30 AM
  #6  
Gets Weekends Off
 
galaxy flyer's Avatar
 
Joined APC: May 2010
Position: Baja Vermont
Posts: 5,172
Default

If you logged SIC time, that is, as the augmenting pilot, its legal in accepting with FAR 61. If, OTOH, you're the fourth or fifth pilot, it's not. If you're the PUC, but divided up up the time in thirds, FP, CO, Other, you need to use a civil compliant log
galaxy flyer is offline  
Old 04-02-2024, 02:18 PM
  #7  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,425
Default

Originally Posted by galaxy flyer View Post
If you logged SIC time, that is, as the augmenting pilot, its legal in accepting with FAR 61. If, OTOH, you're the fourth or fifth pilot, it's not. If you're the PUC, but divided up up the time in thirds, FP, CO, Other, you need to use a civil compliant log
Yep. This is the way in Navy big wing flying with more than 2 pilots. One PIC of record gets all the PIC time regardless of how much pilot time they actually log in their Navy logbook. Pretty common to just divide up pilot time 20/40/40 among the 3 pilots with the PIC getting the 20.
So yeah, some "other" time can count but you need to convert it to a civilian log where you count all your PIC time as PIC time if you fall into this category.
e6bpilot is offline  
Old 04-05-2024, 07:41 PM
  #8  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Mar 2018
Posts: 2,349
Default

Originally Posted by e6bpilot View Post
Yep. This is the way in Navy big wing flying with more than 2 pilots. One PIC of record gets all the PIC time regardless of how much pilot time they actually log in their Navy logbook. Pretty common to just divide up pilot time 20/40/40 among the 3 pilots with the PIC getting the 20.
So yeah, some "other" time can count but you need to convert it to a civilian log where you count all your PIC time as PIC time if you fall into this category.
This^. If you were in command while logging other time, you’re still the PIC.
ThumbsUp is offline  
Old Yesterday, 09:18 AM
  #9  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Nov 2015
Posts: 1,119
Default

When I was applying I had 4 hours of "other" time that was actually dual received, per FAA equivalent stnadards (I was at the controls of a dual-control trainer with an instructor in the other seat). But I couldn't "prove it". Various other simillar logging issues caused a 12 hour discrepancy between my HARM totals and my logbook totals. So just in case it came up, I had a short summary sheet explaining as much of the discrepancy as I could. I had a single line on that page with a note something like "4 hours T-38 dual received was recorded as other time", and left it at that.

Which comes to my suggestion - if you have 500 "other" hours, that's big enough to show up somewhere either as a totals discrepancy or as a perceived gap in flying where you logged far fewer hours in a year or more than would be expected of an active pilot. So again, put it on a sheet of talking points just in case it comes up. If the interviewer notices and asks something like why you logged only 200 PIC hours in a 2 year period, you can pull out your notes and confidently state that your unit had a manning or whatever issue so they were cycling all their pilots through on the jumpseat, and you had 500 "other" hours in that timeframe that you did not include in your logbook totals even though they are included in your HARM records. As long as you have a reasonably solid answer and didn't try to pad your logbook hours with the other time, they shouldn't care. Chances are they won't even notice if your claimed logbook hours are in the ballpark for someone with your flying history.
flensr is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
wmuflyboy
Flight Schools and Training
30
03-26-2023 06:18 PM
Gunpig
Aviation Law
54
03-17-2023 10:36 PM
tothebigblue
Part 135
7
04-27-2021 04:52 AM
peengleeson
Flight Schools and Training
31
10-22-2018 07:39 AM
Cheddar
United
98
05-30-2013 04:51 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Your Privacy Choices