Training Contracts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 04:37 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Apr 2017
Position: King Air 350; F/O
Default Training Contracts?

Hi all,

I was hired last year as a contract SIC for a Part 135 operation. I was told in the initial contact with the company in writing that there were no training contracts. They did say that they would like a one-year commitment. I was told that all flights would be scheduled in advance and that I would be working 15-20 days per month. The chief pilot also said that I would be fully trained and up and running in two months or less.

Long story short, I went to indoc in November and flew a few times in November, a few times in December and after a lot of asking questions, they completed my training in late January. I was offered the option of leaving prior to training being finished in January because they were having internal struggles with getting the base they promised me in January off the ground. I was told it would be February that the base would be up and running. This made me want to stick it out, as I had been waiting as long as I had. February 1 came and went. I was at the head office and asked several people in management, including the owner, when the base would be up and running and no one could give me an answer. I was told at least another month (March) or even April or later.

I made the decision in early March to take a job that I had been offered late February making a salary with steady flight hours and paid training. I need to eat and pay bills.

I tried to be loyal to the company and give opportunities for the base to take-off and to start flying, but after nearly four months no one could give me a definitive answer. I flew a whole 7 times and made what most people make in one paycheck the entire time I was with them. Due to lack of pay and no answers about my future with the company, I decided to leave and pursue other options.

Just this week I have been sent an invoice for 32 hours of training. The company is saying that I owe them 32k for training because I did not stay with them for a year. They are claiming I entered a verbal training contract with them, which I did not. There were no contracts signed, no promissory notes - nothing. I have an email where the chief pilot indicates there are no training contracts.

I do want to mention that the flights I "trained" on were all revenue flights with PAX. Yet, the company is billing me for the cost they say they incurred, which was the full amount of the flight, when there were paying customers on the flight.

Has anyone had any sort of dealings with a "supposed" verbal training contract? How did it turn out?

Last edited by flygirle814; 04-10-2017 at 04:55 PM.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:04 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Mar 2014

Forward them that email from the CP saying there are no training contracts, and tell them "your lawyer" has advised you you don't owe them anything. If they persist, find an actual lawyer to write a letter telling them to f-off.

You're fine, they're just trying to shake you down.

For further reading, go do research on "liquidated damages vs. penalties" in contracts. This is obviously a "penalty" they whipped up out of nowhere.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:19 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2015

Verbal contracts are very hard to enforce because nothing has been memorialized. That's not to say they can threaten legal action or take it but they really don't have much of solid ground to stand upon.

At any rate, it wouldn't hurt to consult with an attorney just so you get an answer from a professional in the field of law. You did well in not signing any kind of promissory note or similar garbage. The problem lies in the collection of this alleged debt owed. They might send it to collections in an attempt to ruin your credit. These scam outfits lack any moral conscience and will do things out of spite.

A lot of 135 is a scam. I'm glad I left it far behind and I wish you the best going forward.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:10 PM
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2013

Lots and lots of red flags. Sounds like a typical dog**** outfit. How are you a contract employee yet you work 15-20 days a month?

Tell those dumbasses to pound sand.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:36 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007

Seems pretty simple. I would write them a certified letter saying that you do not owe anything for training, and never agreed to anything pertaining to your training costs and include the letter from the CP. Also, 32k for training is asinine. Did they train you in a Gulfstream??

Did you get paid while all this base shuffling thing was going on? I would probably file a claim with the state and claim that you weren't paid your agreed upon wage.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:12 AM
All is fine at .79

Joined APC: Sep 2016
Position: Paahlot

As I understand it you were only given 'in house' training including 'watch me how I do this' on revenue flights?

You were not send to a legitimate training provider like CAE or Simuflight?

Get a lawyer to draft up a letter.
They don't have a leg to stand on but you want to avoid this going any further.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:11 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Apr 2017
Position: King Air 350; F/O

Originally Posted by TiredSoul View Post
As I understand it you were only given 'in house' training including 'watch me how I do this' on revenue flights?

You were not send to a legitimate training provider like CAE or Simuflight?

Get a lawyer to draft up a letter.
They don't have a leg to stand on but you want to avoid this going any further.
You got it. All training was done in-house and on revenue flights.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:49 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2009

Does the invoice mention the instructors name? They invoiced you for training. Do you have copies of your training records and signoff's? I would ask to see if the pilot(s) you were flying with were qualified under 135.338 and 135.340. It appears you gave them due diligence in regards to the base you wanted. You would be in your right to turn the tables on them and sue them for emotional distress.

Maybe get Lifelock prior to them messing up your credit score if they decide to go with a collection agency. Good luck.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:30 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: Standing in front of the tank with a shopping bag

Originally Posted by tracer997 View Post
Does the invoice mention the instructors name? They invoiced you for training. Do you have copies of your training records and signoff's? I would ask to see if the pilot(s) you were flying with were qualified under 135.338 and 135.340. It appears you gave them due diligence in regards to the base you wanted. You would be in your right to turn the tables on them and sue them for emotional distress.

Maybe get Lifelock prior to them messing up your credit score if they decide to go with a collection agency. Good luck.
Once all this is behind you, you might want to spread the word here and elsewhere in nonspecific negative generalities about this company every chance you get. You might help another pilot dodge the bullet that hit you.

Don't tell me.... the company was based out of South Florida... right? or maybe YIP. I love how all these dirtbag operators who have disrespected pilots for so long and told us that we are a dime a dozen and that they have xxx resumes on their desk ready to come fly for free if necessary are FINALLY getting what they deserved. Like the rude because they are popular cheerleader in high school gets shocked when the nicer, prettier ones show up.. LOL!

Good luck and don't pay them a dime! They are counting on you to fold. They are the ones that held YOU up with your career and your bills. Did you even get a type rating out of it?
Old 04-11-2017, 11:46 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2014
Position: EMB 145 FO

Don't communicate with them at all, Go get a lawyer immediately and let them communicate on your behalf.

I dealt with something like this 2 years ago, I paid a lawyer 500 bucks and he made my life a lot easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk