Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Training Contracts?

Old 04-14-2017, 06:21 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Apr 2017
Position: King Air 350; F/O

Originally Posted by Jetlife View Post
Is there anything in writing? Anything you might have signed and not be aware what you signed? I would sign up for AOPA legal involved. My guess is that they will try to scare you into settling out of court, but they also have more money than you and taking you to court could cost you lots of money.

They do NOT have a case if there is nothing in writing. Verbal contracts are garbage, and if you contractually obligated to hold up your end, so are they. They breeched the terms and conditions of their own agreement.
Nothing. Not a thing was signed.
Old 04-14-2017, 06:26 PM
New Hire

Originally Posted by TiredSoul View Post
It's pretty sad really.
Do not attempt to sweet talk them out of it.
Lawyer up and sue for breach of 'something'.
They didn't hold up their end.
With attorney mediation offer that everybody just walks away.
I am getting the impression there's more to the story here though.
Either this is part of their 'business' plan to harass pilots and they've done it before or you're not telling us everything.

They have a high rate of turnover. Most of the pilots that are contract have been there less than a year. My only guess is that the turnover is due to the lack of income pilots earn because you literally fly once every other week, though when I agreed to work there, was told would fly 3 to 4 days a week. Most of the ones that have stuck around are retired and have pensions.

The only thing I can think of is that it is due to me being a school acquaintance of one of the current pilots that has been there for a while (one of the few that are younger) and it is personal. He referred me and since I left, it is more of a retaliation thing.

I really never interacted with the owner, so I am not sure why the hostility.

Again though, I have an email from the CP saying no training contracts. I would have known if I signed something that had a cost of training and a proration making it clear what I would owe if I left. I didn't even get a type rating out of it.
Old 04-14-2017, 06:32 PM
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2013

I will also add, you were a contractor, not an employee. You can not legally be held to anything. In fact you can always advise them that the FAA would love to know how they train on revenue flights and I can only venture a guess that duty and rest rules do not exist there. They are banking on you being scared and cowering. Don't let those dirtbags get away with anything, you hold all the aces.
Old 04-14-2017, 06:40 PM
New Hire

I will also add, you were a contractor, not an employee. You can not legally be held to anything. In fact you can always advise them that the FAA would love to know how they train on revenue flights and I can only venture a guess that duty and rest rules do not exist there. They are banking on you being scared and cowering. Don't let those dirtbags get away with anything, you hold all the aces.
Exactly that. Reading the TWC guidelines, what they wanted from me was really under the definition of an employee. But they made me a contractor to avoid paying all that comes with having an employee. I wonder if the IRS would like to know about all the taxes they owe on every "contractor" they have ever had.

They wanted 15-20 days a month obligation (making myself available), but didn't have the business to sustain all the pilots they have with enough trips to earn a decent income. They also would call mandatory meetings at their home base and require people to travel at their own expense on short notice.
Old 04-14-2017, 06:46 PM
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2013

Screw that dirtbag operation. Just let this be a lesson to not engage with these types of companies in the future. Get a lawyer to draw up a letter stating your position and have it sent to them. You will probably have to go to court over this but even if you defended yourself, you really can't go wrong. No contract, no enforcement, especially if you weren't an employee. This whole thing has absurdity written all over it.
Old 04-14-2017, 06:59 PM
New Hire

Screw that dirtbag operation. Just let this be a lesson to not engage with these types of companies in the future. Get a lawyer to draw up a letter stating your position and have it sent to them. You will probably have to go to court over this but even if you defended yourself, you really can't go wrong. No contract, no enforcement, especially if you weren't an employee. This whole thing has absurdity written all over it.
Yes. Which is why it is so shocking.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:03 PM
New Hire

Originally Posted by B727DRVR View Post
LOL, Scumbag corporate and 135 operator central....: Even more so than KYIP. I know because I have been there, done it at both locales. All the shady charter operators down there, and the crummy 2 pilot flight departments that really can't afford the plane are in for a shock when the pilot shortage finally hits South Florida. You know the ones...: The ones that have a $100,000 budget for the flight department salaries and the "Chief", read other pilot, keeps $95,000 for themselves. And when you eat at Dennys, he eats the steak on the company credit card but wants to only let you get an appetizer to keep the expenses down. Oh, and they keep all the Atlantic Bucks, too, because they are "The Captain", and they have a wife and baby to feed. When the last Eastern Airlines scabs die off or medical out, that place might finally turn return to decency and safety in the pilot world. That will leave only those with DWI's or felonies to operate Corrosion Corner Training Centers and shady charter and cargo outfits. I used to be bitter about it, but I am over that now..

Did you at least get a type rating out of it?? I see King Air listed on your profile.. I HOPE that they weren't seriously asking $32,000 for your King Air training or even type. Hell, $32,000 would buy several B737 type ratings for you and 4 of your friends or go a long way towards a Gulfstream or Challenger type. Even the old school FSI Pay for Training scams of the mid 1990's got you some jet time and even an at-the-time seemingly worthless Chapter 11 Continental seniority number. Who knew?

Good luck and tell them to pound sand. The fact that they were training you on live passenger legs is something that they wouldn't want their passengers or the FAA to know about.. It's not like you completed training and THEN were given IOE on live legs with a check airman. After this clears up and you are secure with your new company, I would release their name, initials, A/C type or airport ID for other pilots to see and avoid that place. Crummy company shaming happens on this site all the time, and it even makes a difference. With revolving doors at Wheels Up/Gama and Executive Airshare, pilots helped other pilots by telling them to avoid these companies with draconian schedules of 6 on 3 off and 12 on 3 off respectively. With enough resignations and outcry, along with a lack of applicants, both places improved their schedules and Wheels Up improved to a 8/6 schedule, one step from Netjets 7/7.

Make a difference by not paying and make a stand. You will be helping yourself and all pilots. Again, good luck and thank you for being tough.

Let me guess.... KFLL? Am I right?
Wasn't a King Air. You would laugh if you knew what kind of aircraft.
Old 04-15-2017, 06:34 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Dec 2016

You have been given good advice here. I don't believe they have a case either. However, I would not rely on what a bunch of strangers are telling you (myself included) on the internet. It is your situation and your career.

Seeking an attorney's advise is the smart thing to do. Fight fire with fire and let them do the work for you. It may cost you a few bucks, but well worth it in the long run.

Best of luck to you and keep us informed so others can learn.
Old 04-16-2017, 10:33 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007

Originally Posted by flygirle814 View Post
Exactly that. Reading the TWC guidelines, what they wanted from me was really under the definition of an employee. But they made me a contractor to avoid paying all that comes with having an employee. I wonder if the IRS would like to know about all the taxes they owe on every "contractor" they have ever had.

They wanted 15-20 days a month obligation (making myself available), but didn't have the business to sustain all the pilots they have with enough trips to earn a decent income. They also would call mandatory meetings at their home base and require people to travel at their own expense on short notice.
Go to your state's labor department and file a complaint. You will get back pay when they rule in your favor.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:31 PM
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

Originally Posted by Quarryman View Post
They have engaged legal counsel. It's best you do the same. Cease all communication, except through your attorney.
Have no contact with them at any point, save through your own attorney, and do nothing, and say nothing except on the advice of your own retained legal counsel.

Training contracts are difficult to enforce, particularly a verbal one. That doesn't mean you should write them letters or respond to them in any way. I wouldn't even accept registered mail or sign for it from them; I'd let an attorney handle all interactions with them for you. This will cost you, but it's better than all other alternatives.

There have been some high-profile cases in national and international news lately involving contract labor vs. direct labor for Uber, etc. An attorney may be interested in fielding this angle as well.

If you were paid by the day on a contract basis with no work schedule or an arbitrary, sporadic schedule, then your situation may be one of a 1099 contract employee, though it appears that you had no contract or arrangement with the company in writing.

I think a company that tries to bill for 32 hours of line training on revenue flights may be facing an uphill battle. Consult your attorney.