Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Alaska Seaplanes

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 02:21 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jan 2018
Default Alaska Seaplanes

Got an offer from Alaska Seaplanes and looking for some insight into the company and life/flying out of Juneau. Feel free to PM also, thanks!
Old 01-21-2018, 02:59 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2017
Position: smoke and spider season

Originally Posted by jvice View Post
Got an offer from Alaska Seaplanes and looking for some insight into the company and life/flying out of Juneau. Feel free to PM also, thanks!
What is your times if I may ask? Trying to find out what is competitive these days.
Old 01-21-2018, 03:05 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2012

Originally Posted by PetRock View Post
What is your times if I may ask? Trying to find out what is competitive these days.

I applied with 900h and referred by someone...but didn’t hear a thing
Old 01-21-2018, 04:27 PM
VW Bus Driver

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: ERJ145XR

I flew in S/E with about the same hours you have. My advice. Be conservative. Do not be afraid to turn around WHEN the weather gets bad. You will fly in rain, poor visibility and low clouds pushing down below 500’. Always look for landing spots. They are not many clear places to set an aircraft down. The terrain is mostly mountains and ocean water. Haines has some nasty wind shear. Be aware of turbulence in the passes when the wind blows from the North. The Skagway base turn will freak you out the first time but it will be easy in no time, Skagway always has a bump crossing over the river before the threshold. Alaska will test your stick n rudder skills, be sure to learn the terrain and the Capstone, you will need it when you can not see beyond the prop.
Be safe, be conservative, don’t push it into crap weather. My first 2 months were real eye openers and pushed me beyond my comfort zone numerous times. It will be an experience you will never forget. Have fun and enjoy...
Old 01-21-2018, 07:33 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2017

Seaplanes is an alright company to work for. No surprises. When you call it for weather it is ok unless you make a regular habit of it. Don't worry about turning around. The dispatchers are good and sometimes will cancel a flight because of weather.

The weather really isn't bad there compared to the rest of the state. Listen to the full time guys. When one person turns around for weather then you will not be expected to "go take a look".

A lot of over water in a single engine. Ride with some of the older guys there and learn from them. Especially on the low weather route out of Hoonah.

As stated above, Skagway pattern will freak you out at first. It feels as if there will be a severe wind shear on final but it is not bad. No place for an engine out as there is no place to land on the leg from Haines to Skagway. The mountains come straight up out of the water. You will be in gliding distance to shore but there is no shore to land on.

Rent is high. Sky high. Secure quarters before going there, otherwise you will only find something in the crappy side of town. And if single you might want to find a roommate to help with cost. Tell Sean you are interested in having a roommate, he will let the other summer guys know.

The last few times I worked in the southeast I drove there from the lower 48 so I could take my own car. Well, drove to Prince Rupert BC and got on the ferry. You can buy an old rust bucket off of Craigslist, then sell it when leaving.

It rains everyday. EVERYDAY. You will need rain gear.

You will be expected to load/unload your own plane, and help others to do the same. You will fuel your own plane and other pilots planes.

It will be a fun summer.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:51 PM
Banned

Joined APC: Feb 2007

Start looking for lodging now. It's always scarce and always expensive.

Weather changes quickly, Juneau has its own weather, leave the bay and it can be completely different.

Do NOT trust the Chilton EFIS as your only navigation. It's good to have but it freezes up without indication. Froze on me several times and it probably killed a friend of mine.

As said above, the wind shear at Haines is no lie. Be ready, especially if you're heavy.

Hoonah.... oh Hoonah. Don't be afraid to follow the water to the marina if you're really heavy.

You'll carry so much interesting cargo. Fish, boats and motors, groceries, seaweed, bear hides, and so on.

Learn your reporting points, and never let the passengers distract you from listening to other pilots reporting their position. Almost cost me a mid air. (carelessness on my part)

Water hovers around 40 degrees F. That gives you 15-30 minutes assuming you're in good shape. Something to consider if you ever have to ditch. (I only know of one incident)

Hell of an area to fly in. Enjoy the Glaciers.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:10 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008

Get on Erica's good side, if her other sisters are there the same applies.

Good company, good folks, and great experience. Don't be afraid to turn around or say no, get familiar with the Alaska weather cams. If burners is socked in, get another cup of coffee.

Take the best camera you can afford and talk to as many tour operators as you can. They used to offer free or discounted tours to the pilots. Take every one that is available.

ETA: Only the pilot knows its windy, the plane doesn't care.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:33 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2014

Seaplanes is a good place to work. I'd be back if it weren't for some family issues down south. I'm going to miss flying in SE Alaska, but I expect to be back as soon as I can. Expect some long days and some crappy weather. Always carry an overnight bag in case you get stuck at an outstation. If you have part 135 IFR mins, they may get you up to speed on the IFR Caravans.

It rains a lot in Juneau in the Summer. You will get wet on on this job. As has been said, take no chances with weather and don't be too bold with IMC while VFR. And yes, take advantage of the discounts around Juneau and Skagway that are offered to pilots. The helo operators offer pretty much freebies if they have an open seat.

Have fun.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:50 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2012

Originally Posted by Sanguy View Post
Seaplanes is a good place to work. I'd be back if it weren't for some family issues down south. I'm going to miss flying in SE Alaska, but I expect to be back as soon as I can. Expect some long days and some crappy weather. Always carry an overnight bag in case you get stuck at an outstation. If you have part 135 IFR mins, they may get you up to speed on the IFR Caravans.

It rains a lot in Juneau in the Summer. You will get wet on on this job. As has been said, take no chances with weather and don't be too bold with IMC while VFR. And yes, take advantage of the discounts around Juneau and Skagway that are offered to pilots. The helo operators offer pretty much freebies if they have an open seat.

Have fun.

I hope you can make it back soon :-)

I get wet in PR even if it doesn’t rain haha.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:08 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2017

Originally Posted by jvice View Post

So, now that it's been almost a year, how was/is it?