Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Alaska 135 Training Contracts

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 10:15 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2015

Originally Posted by Excargodog View Post
Nope. Agreeing with you. And waiting for someone to point out to me that the FAA had “solved” the ice problem by saying you could still fly into icing at a 500# reduced gross weight whereupon I was going to say that’s not much of a help when you unexpectedly ENCOUNTER icing after you are already loaded, though I suppose jettisoning the totally unneeded SIC might get you one-third of the way there....

You need to automate that so that you can jettison him with an easily accessible cockpit control. I think trying to physically wrestle him out the door is going to complicate your situation instead of making it better.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:54 AM
Perennial Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2018

Originally Posted by A Squared View Post
You need to automate that so that you can jettison him with an easily accessible cockpit control. I think trying to physically wrestle him out the door is going to complicate your situation instead of making it better.
I dunno. Anyone foolish enough to actually take the job might be gullible enough to go out the door on command.

Old 03-25-2019, 05:48 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Apr 2018

I have a few things to say to any low time guys thinking of going to Hageland and signing a training contract to fly a 208 out of Bethel, AK.

Hageland requires that you pay your own way to basic indoc. They don’t tell you that so be prepared. It cost me $800. If you can, go the extra mile and go a few days early and head to Bethel. See it for yourself. Most new hires, unless female, will go to Bethel. I won’t go into detail but you should see it for yourself before you take anyone’s word for it. It’s a place that will prove to anyone that there is absolutely no god. Also, you will catch a cold unlike anything you’ve ever had and it will almost kill you.

If you like what you see, congrats! You are the man/woman they need and you will do well. You will learn flying skills that most pilots never ever will.

If what you see makes you uneasy, go back home and get your CFI, you will be happier in the long run. This is not the Alaska you see on TV, unless it’s Alaska State Troopers.

It took me a year to make the 207. It might be quicker these days but you should value your time in the 208, don’t be in a hurry to upgrade, there is a lot to learn besides flying. The dispatchers dont give a rats ass about you. You will get assigned flights that are barely legal, if at all, and you will go. If you don’t accept these death missions, good luck, you will be assigned the flights no one wants for the rest of your time there. That being said, plan on two years minimum.

If you go, be very careful. It’s easy for one to ruin their career before it even really starts. Guys have wrecked airplanes in strong crosswinds, wind shear, mechanical turbulence, taxiing, hitting other airplanes, etc. Most times these accidents were out of the pilots control but they still counted as accidents, violations and LOIs.

Best of luck!
Old 03-25-2019, 10:00 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2016

Originally Posted by AKBushRat View Post
I have a few things to say to any low time guys thinking of going to Hageland and signing a training contract to fly a 208 out of Bethel, AK.

Hageland requires that you pay your own way to basic indoc. They don’t tell you that so be prepared. It cost me $800. If you can, go the extra mile and go a few days early and head to Bethel. See it for yourself. Most new hires, unless female, will go to Bethel. I won’t go into detail but you should see it for yourself before you take anyone’s word for it. It’s a place that will prove to anyone that there is absolutely no god. Also, you will catch a cold unlike anything you’ve ever had and it will almost kill you.

If you like what you see, congrats! You are the man/woman they need and you will do well. You will learn flying skills that most pilots never ever will.

If what you see makes you uneasy, go back home and get your CFI, you will be happier in the long run. This is not the Alaska you see on TV, unless it’s Alaska State Troopers.

It took me a year to make the 207. It might be quicker these days but you should value your time in the 208, don’t be in a hurry to upgrade, there is a lot to learn besides flying. The dispatchers dont give a rats ass about you. You will get assigned flights that are barely legal, if at all, and you will go. If you don’t accept these death missions, good luck, you will be assigned the flights no one wants for the rest of your time there. That being said, plan on two years minimum.

If you go, be very careful. It’s easy for one to ruin their career before it even really starts. Guys have wrecked airplanes in strong crosswinds, wind shear, mechanical turbulence, taxiing, hitting other airplanes, etc. Most times these accidents were out of the pilots control but they still counted as accidents, violations and LOIs.

Best of luck!
Bethel isn’t that bad anyone that’s been in the military has deployed to crappier locations. Bethel has running water (just can’t drink), taxis, semi-paved roads a gym, a few stores. It’s not that bad
Old 03-25-2019, 10:54 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by tonsterboy5 View Post
Bethel isn’t that bad anyone that’s been in the military has deployed to crappier locations.

Sure, and anyone who has been incarcerated in an African prison has been in crappier places than Bethel. You can always find someplace that's worse.

In a previous career, I spent a lot of time in rural Alaska, often in less desirable places than Bethel, so, it ain't like Bethel shocks me, but for a lot of folks who haven't been outside of the lower 48, Bethel will be a real eye opener; something that they really can't grasp until they see it themselves. It ain't so bad if you suck it up and make the best of it, but some non-zero portion of them won't be able to hack it, and will run away. That's reality.
Old 03-26-2019, 03:26 AM
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

Everything someone needs to know can be found reviewing old episodes of Northern Exposure.

They're not allowed to put it on TV if it's not true.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:40 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by JohnBurke View Post
Everything someone needs to know can be found reviewing old episodes of Northern Exposure.

They're not allowed to put it on TV if it's not true.

It's true, Bethel is all quaint brick storefronts and moose walking along the sidewalks.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:37 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: May 2018

Originally Posted by AKBushRat View Post

Best of luck!
When were you at Hageland? None of this sounds like the way they operate these days.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:36 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Apr 2018

Originally Posted by juglord420 View Post
When were you at Hageland? None of this sounds like the way they operate these days.
None?

I was there two years ago. Don’t get me wrong, I had a pretty good time bombing around up there but I also saw a lot of things I didn’t like.

I’m just trying to help the guys who may or may not want to get locked into a 2 year contract.

Are you a pothead focker? What’s up with the 420?
Old 03-27-2019, 03:42 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2015

Anyone got any info on Air Choice One? Good/bad? I hear they require a training contract though.