Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

135 Career Progression

Old 06-17-2019, 11:17 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2011
Position: CA

Originally Posted by 86BravoPapa View Post
How is that helpful? Sorry you're not happy with where you're at or the choices you've made but instead of shi**ing on aviation, your job, your employer, etc., maybe you should take a look at the one constant variable in all those situations for insight(s) to the real problem.
I think he was pretty spot on for the 135 life. Love my 121 job and aviation again. While employed doing 135 I grew to have a real hatred for both.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:16 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: May 2018

The variance in pay, QOL, treatment, etc. in the 135 world is so huge that I find it laughable that people are generalizing it so much in this thread. I assume the same is true in the 121 world though I wouldn't know from experience.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:04 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2014

Originally Posted by say again View Post
I think he was pretty spot on for the 135 life. Love my 121 job and aviation again. While employed doing 135 I grew to have a real hatred for both.
This says it all. 135 sucks, and denying it is just lying to yourself
Old 06-20-2019, 02:08 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: Airplanes

How is that helpful? Sorry you're not happy with where you're at or the choices you've made but instead of shi**ing on aviation, your job, your employer, etc., maybe you should take a look at the one constant variable in all those situations for insight(s) to the real problem.
Actually newbie, he's spot on. You're still wet behind the ears so don't start mouthing off just yet. Some of us have been at this for longer than you've been alive. We've lost friends, watched companies fold, been promised airplanes that are coming, read accident reports of tail numbers that we've flown, etc. Once you have a few dependents, obligations, and responsibilities you'll see past the shiny new avionics and see this for what it is; a job. Stability, schedule, pay, and benefits trump all else and once you've quit logging every .2 of flight time maybe you'll see that.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:38 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2017
Position: Part 135

Originally Posted by Macjet View Post
Actually newbie, he's spot on. You're still wet behind the ears so don't start mouthing off just yet. Some of us have been at this for longer than you've been alive. We've lost friends, watched companies fold, been promised airplanes that are coming, read accident reports of tail numbers that we've flown, etc. Once you have a few dependents, obligations, and responsibilities you'll see past the shiny new avionics and see this for what it is; a job. Stability, schedule, pay, and benefits trump all else and once you've quit logging every .2 of flight time maybe you'll see that.
If you feel like he was spot on with his response, sounds like you might need a new line of work, too. Of course it's a job. I've had manual labor jobs, customer service jobs, and corporate jobs prior to making it in aviation after a 10 year hiatus completing my ratings due to the recession and family obligations. In every industry there are the bitter ones, the ones that have made peace with doing whatever job they're in, the ones that never knew any other line of work, and the ones that were fortunate enough to find what they love and lucky enough to do it for a living. 121 might be better, 135/91 might be better. But pay, QOL, and the 'suck factor' of tasks, outside the cockpit, that come with each type of flying are entirely subjective to every individual.

I've spoken to many 91/135 pilots that would never even consider leaving they're job for 121 and I've probably spoken to just as many 121 pilots that feel the exact opposite. Everyone of their situations were different and the motivators that drove them to their type of flying were different.

Besides that, how was it helpful since it pertained to absolutely nothing about my original question?
Old 06-22-2019, 08:47 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: Airplanes

If you feel like he was spot on with his response, sounds like you might need a new line of work, too. Of course it's a job. I've had manual labor jobs, customer service jobs, and corporate jobs prior to making it in aviation after a 10 year hiatus completing my ratings due to the recession and family obligations. In every industry there are the bitter ones, the ones that have made peace with doing whatever job they're in, the ones that never knew any other line of work, and the ones that were fortunate enough to find what they love and lucky enough to do it for a living. 121 might be better, 135/91 might be better. But pay, QOL, and the 'suck factor' of tasks, outside the cockpit, that come with each type of flying are entirely subjective to every individual.

I've spoken to many 91/135 pilots that would never even consider leaving they're job for 121 and I've probably spoken to just as many 121 pilots that feel the exact opposite. Everyone of their situations were different and the motivators that drove them to their type of flying were different.

Besides that, how was it helpful since it pertained to absolutely nothing about my original question?
A new line of work? Yes, let me leave a job that pays $23,ooo+ a month and gives me 16 days off to start over at something new. I'm not bitter nor do I hate my job. But I'm also not wet behind the ears and Jonesing to get my hands on that sweet new Garmin XXX. I do my job then go home and maximize my time with my family.

As to your question, there is no 135 progression. It's a dead end path and filled with those who can't move on and will freely give excuses as to why 121 'isn't for them'. I've been involved in .mil aviation, the best and worst of 135, 91, 91k, and I was the guy operating your sim at your last biz jet training center. I just about seen and heard every option and excuse in this business. 135 is like a *****; use it for what you need and move on.

There's a reason why the overwhelming majority of guys fly 121. It pays the most money, with the most days off, and the most flexibility. There's only one 91 flight department that I'd even remotely consider working for but the location sucks. And there isn't a single 135 I'd ever consider as more than a stepping stone to something better.

Those who can work for a major 121 and those who can't will give you every excuse under the sun as to why it 'isn't for them'. You're still new and full of **** and vinegar. Once you get more than a few months under your belt and a little more seasoned you'll see this industry for what it is and how you can maximize your earning potential and QOL. This isn't a sprint, it's a marathon. And a lot of us have a lot more laps in than you do and it isn't the unicorns, rainbows, and oh golly jeepers a new AOPA magazine that you still think it is. Airplanes are expensive to buy and even more expensive to operate. This industry has more examples of failures than successes and many here have rode those failures into the ground and started over. And more than once. There's a lot of wisdom here on this board if you can filter it out and smart enough to heed some occasional advise.
Old 06-22-2019, 09:42 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Macjet View Post
A new line of work? Yes, let me leave a job that pays $23,ooo+ a month and gives me 16 days off to start over at something new. I'm not bitter nor do I hate my job. But I'm also not wet behind the ears and Jonesing to get my hands on that sweet new Garmin XXX. I do my job then go home and maximize my time with my family.

As to your question, there is no 135 progression. It's a dead end path and filled with those who can't move on and will freely give excuses as to why 121 'isn't for them'. I've been involved in .mil aviation, the best and worst of 135, 91, 91k, and I was the guy operating your sim at your last biz jet training center. I just about seen and heard every option and excuse in this business. 135 is like a *****; use it for what you need and move on.

There's a reason why the overwhelming majority of guys fly 121. It pays the most money, with the most days off, and the most flexibility. There's only one 91 flight department that I'd even remotely consider working for but the location sucks. And there isn't a single 135 I'd ever consider as more than a stepping stone to something better.

Those who can work for a major 121 and those who can't will give you every excuse under the sun as to why it 'isn't for them'. You're still new and full of **** and vinegar. Once you get more than a few months under your belt and a little more seasoned you'll see this industry for what it is and how you can maximize your earning potential and QOL. This isn't a sprint, it's a marathon. And a lot of us have a lot more laps in than you do and it isn't the unicorns, rainbows, and oh golly jeepers a new AOPA magazine that you still think it is. Airplanes are expensive to buy and even more expensive to operate. This industry has more examples of failures than successes and many here have rode those failures into the ground and started over. And more than once. There's a lot of wisdom here on this board if you can filter it out and smart enough to heed some occasional advise.
Never said anything about yearning to get my hands on a new Garmin or anything for that matter. Pretty confident that asking about progressions from smaller business aircraft to large cabin class aircraft, because I have an interest in international ops, doesn't suggest I'm trying to sprint. It's impressive that you know so much about me, having never met me.

You've got your opinions about the industry which, by the way, are in no form unique to aviation. Most people in most industries don't rise to the top for a myriad of reasons. They deal with layoffs, downsizing, inabilities to relocate, being passed for promotions, lack of opportunities, nepotism, glass ceilings, etc. Go read any forum for any other line of work and you'll see the exact same type of issues just with different factors involved.

I have no idea where you were going with the unicorns and rainbows comment and assumptions as to what I think flying for a living entails. We'll just chalk that up to cynical rambling while counting your $23,000 for the month.

My previous posts and threads on here are pretty indicative of my interest and openness in seeking insights and advice from those that have been doing this for a long time. Thanks, anyways, for your predetermined, default character judgement of someone newer in commercial aviation.

Last edited by 86BravoPapa; 06-22-2019 at 10:26 AM.
Old 06-23-2019, 11:22 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Macjet wasnt making any sort of pre determined character judgement, he was simply stating facts, and he is SPOT ON in every statement. Well said, man.
Old 06-23-2019, 12:34 PM
Gets Weekends Off

We can agree to disagree.
Old 06-23-2019, 02:25 PM
Gets Weekends Off

You're not qualified to disagree yet, and you're wrong, so just take it for what it is.