Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Flying at Airnet

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 09:25 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2007
Position: A320 Right Seat
Default Flying at Airnet

I am looking seriously at working for Airnet in a few months. I know they occasionally hire guys into a requested base when possible. Does anyone have any experience with this. More importantly, does the company put much pressure on you to fly in bad weather or bad equipment or anything of that nature?

Thanks for any info.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:14 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Lear 35

Originally Posted by 402DRVR View Post
I am looking seriously at working for Airnet in a few months. I know they occasionally hire guys into a requested base when possible. Does anyone have any experience with this. More importantly, does the company put much pressure on you to fly in bad weather or bad equipment or anything of that nature?

Thanks for any info.
Don't count on being hired directly into a base. Bases and runs are awarded on a seniority basis. Whatever is open when you finish class and pass your checkride is what you get to bid on. You do get one lateral move per seat position per year, so you will have the opportunity to bid out... as long as a run opens up at the base you want and you have the seniority to hold it. I'm not saying that they won't hire directly into a base, but it is unlikely... even with the current shortage of pilots we are experiencing. They would have to bypass the bidding process, and that would upset alot of folks.

As for the bad equipment/bad weather question... I've never felt any more pressure than I would have expected when I got into this particular type of flying (135 night freight). I know that there are operators out there that skimp on maintenance and try to push you beyond safe limits with regards to weather... AirNet is not one of those companies. Our equipment, while not necessarily the prettiest on the ramp, is well maintained. I've never been questioned for MELing an item or grounding an airplane, and maintenance is always available by phone or in person (when at a maintenance base) to help out or answer any questions. Have I flown in some nasty weather... you bet. Have I scared the crap out of myself... once or twice (it was my call to go). Has AirNet ever questioned my need to delay, divert or cancel due to weather... no. I present the facts, and in the end... I'm the PIC. What I say goes. That said, in my time at AirNet (a year and a half) I think I've delayed due to weather less than 5 times... diverted two or three... cancelled all together - zero. Please note... there is an element of luck involved when it comes to weather.

Overall AirNet experience... I would give it a thumbs up. It is what it is... 135 night freight. Single pilot, all night, all weather. The pay... I've seen better. I've also seen alot worse. You've got your 4 day, minimum pay runs... you've got your 5 day runs that pay really well... you've got your floater spots that have a 8-on/6-off schedule that pay somewhere in the middle. Take your pick.

Hope that answered some of your questions. Good luck!
Old 04-30-2007, 04:02 PM
Flying Farmer

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Turbo-props' and John Deere's

I know a few Airnet guys through my own parallel flying, Fr8's description is pretty much dead on for them, and most for my company too(Oddly, I've been at mine for 1.5yrs too, 6-mo check-ride's due). We aren't very large, so the organization factor is way less, but we do have nightly scheduled(although, not per FAR's, just a customer) check-hauling flights, but we do a good amount of on-demand too. Equipment's in good shape, but every once in awhile something will suprise you. We operate 8 w/ KLN-90B's and 2 w/ 430's, with typical back-up's, and radar and/or strike finders in most planes(if neither, two Garmin 396 w/ XM's float around. Flying in the weather, to me, is part of the job. Either be able to do it, by yourself, on one engine, or stay at home.

So to the part of "Pressure to fly." I think that's really determined on a personal basis of how strong your will is in a situation where you know you probably "shouldn't" go, but "could" go if you "have" to. Suddenly people get complacent, and everything is a "have" to flight. I stood my ground from my first week on the line, and never have had a problem. Although, I was called to do a flight, during a blizzard, but I couldn't make it to the airport, so solved that one
Old 04-30-2007, 04:41 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2007
Position: A320 Right Seat

I appreciate the responses. i currently fly single pilot IFR in new England and have not had problems but have at other outfits. Everything I've heard about the company is they are top notch. Was looking at the hiring into a specific base because personal situation does not allow moving at this time. Just not looking forward to commuting with a regional.

Thanks for the info.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:22 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: A220 First Officer

What is the upgrade from prop pic to lear sic realistically? The website says normally a year but right now 6-8 months.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:49 PM
Flying Farmer

Slots might open up, but the one guy I know(well, knew, heard he got another job), was waiting for a specific slot, and never came. So he's off to something else. He'd been there 1.5+ yrs.

End the end, most 135 companies, or even airlines are more geared to the no-strings-attached types. I'm guessing 402's like me, married and local to where the company is based. Makes it hard to do anything else.
Old 05-12-2007, 05:54 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: LJ35 PIC

Originally Posted by UNDGUY View Post
What is the upgrade from prop pic to lear sic realistically? The website says normally a year but right now 6-8 months.
Right now, sure! It's been done.

However ,when I started here I was told the same thing. Sure enough guys in front of me (senority) got their jet spots. I wanted to wait a little to see if I could get something a little closer to home. Then 9/11 happend. It took me 2 1/2 years.

You just never know! The industry is looking up for us all, right now..............

Last edited by Iflyfr8; 05-12-2007 at 06:40 AM.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:22 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: .

what has the last couple of bid sheets had on it as far as bases go for the Lear SIC?
Old 05-14-2007, 07:46 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Lear 35

Originally Posted by Triumph View Post
what has the last couple of bid sheets had on it as far as bases go for the Lear SIC?
Last Lear SIC spot was a week ago in ATL. Week before that in BWI.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:48 PM
Flying Farmer

Originally Posted by fr8av8r_66 View Post
Last Lear SIC spot was a week ago in ATL. Week before that in BWI.
Ah no kidding. I knew a guy that was very senior on the basic lines, waiting for that slot. He got tired of waiting and got another job. This wasn't even 1 month or so ago I believe. Flew the caravan out of FWA