Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Wheels Up Operators (Gama, DPJ, TMC)

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2020, 11:40 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2018

Originally Posted by jbeauv View Post
I hate rumors but there Are rumblings that we may start paying a share of our health care. Also Aflac is available if you want to pay for it.
I sure hope that rumor came along with a rumor about pay increasing. If pay doesn't increase along with it, not only is that a reduction in the quality of our benefits, but now an actually reduction in compensation. Would not be a good look, but I guess in this market, what are you going to do about it.
Old 08-02-2020, 06:26 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2019

Its been a few weeks but latest update I had was DPJ would be starting classes in Sept but now it's been quiet. I am sure just trying to sort it all out but would not surprise me if more delays based on the current state of the aviation industry, even with private jet travel increasing. 120+ in the hiring pool at DPJ seems like a lot.
Old 08-05-2020, 07:09 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2016

Originally Posted by hdgbug View Post
I sure hope that rumor came along with a rumor about pay increasing. If pay doesn't increase along with it, not only is that a reduction in the quality of our benefits, but now an actually reduction in compensation. Would not be a good look, but I guess in this market, what are you going to do about it.
After having this insurance for 8 months I have come to the conclusion that we do actually pay for it, unlike the last two plans we had, this plan pays far less in the way of expenses. You pay 750/1500 single/family. What I have experienced is that they deny everything on the first round, it is assigned a reason code, sent back to the provider. Then the expense either getS mired down in the process for a couple months or the provider sends you the entire bill. What has been paid is a fraction of the bill and then you are billed the balance by your provider. This is now applied to your yearly deductible of 750/1500. My wife has spent countless hours on the phone with them on a bill from January, in the end we had to pay it or be sent to collections by a doctor we have both seen for 8 years. So we are paying for our own health care and the company is basically paying for the administrator to process the paper work. Now if you have not seen a doctor all year this is great, you have free insurance and you are safe from government scrutiny under the “affordable health care act” and every year you receive a 1095c. There are some preventative service that are supposed to have no out of pocket costs, such as yearly physical/ wellness visit, there are certain screenings that should be covered under the physical, however I just received the bill from LabCorp for the PSA test (100% covered according to the medical benefit schedule), as I said above , rejected, assigned a reason code, then remained in the “ in process cue” for 60 days with no other movement until the lab sent me the bill. So in a sense what was once a good company benefit has been replaced by an “ administrative only“ health plan until you pay your 750/1500. Hopefully no one will have any catastrophic medical bills and you and your family remains healthy.
Old 08-05-2020, 07:51 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2013

Originally Posted by jbeauv View Post
After having this insurance for 8 months I have come to the conclusion that we do actually pay for it, unlike the last two plans we had, this plan pays far less in the way of expenses. You pay 750/1500 single/family. What I have experienced is that they deny everything on the first round, it is assigned a reason code, sent back to the provider. Then the expense either getS mired down in the process for a couple months or the provider sends you the entire bill. What has been paid is a fraction of the bill and then you are billed the balance by your provider. This is now applied to your yearly deductible of 750/1500. My wife has spent countless hours on the phone with them on a bill from January, in the end we had to pay it or be sent to collections by a doctor we have both seen for 8 years. So we are paying for our own health care and the company is basically paying for the administrator to process the paper work. Now if you have not seen a doctor all year this is great, you have free insurance and you are safe from government scrutiny under the “affordable health care act” and every year you receive a 1095c. There are some preventative service that are supposed to have no out of pocket costs, such as yearly physical/ wellness visit, there are certain screenings that should be covered under the physical, however I just received the bill from LabCorp for the PSA test (100% covered according to the medical benefit schedule), as I said above , rejected, assigned a reason code, then remained in the “ in process cue” for 60 days with no other movement until the lab sent me the bill. So in a sense what was once a good company benefit has been replaced by an “ administrative only“ health plan until you pay your 750/1500. Hopefully no one will have any catastrophic medical bills and you and your family remains healthy.
Is this at Gama, DPJ, or TMC?
Old 08-05-2020, 08:52 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Apr 2020
Position: FO

He's talking about Gama. It's a crappy plan...so we are getting what we pay for. My experience so far has been that every "in network" doctor we've found listed on the IHP website actually doesn't take the plan, and has so far not been cooperative with the plan administrators getting set up to take it. So now I have to figure out how to get reimbursed...no idea how that works. So yes, the health plan sucks.
Old 08-05-2020, 04:19 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2013

Originally Posted by GeliDonut View Post
He's talking about Gama. It's a crappy plan...so we are getting what we pay for. My experience so far has been that every "in network" doctor we've found listed on the IHP website actually doesn't take the plan, and has so far not been cooperative with the plan administrators getting set up to take it. So now I have to figure out how to get reimbursed...no idea how that works. So yes, the health plan sucks.
The main problem is that most health care providers have never heard of the plan. Intead of taking the time to reach out to the insurance liaison, it's easier for the eye rolling attitude behind the desk to just say, "we don't accept that."
I find that if you have an issue and you call the helpline they will go to bat for you and get the issue resolved. Still frustrating to have to do that though.
Old 08-05-2020, 04:33 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2015

Can an employee opt into a better insurance plan if they are okay paying the premium?
Old 08-05-2020, 04:43 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Sep 2015
Position: CA

Hope and pray you don't get ill and have to go out on medical leave, cause if you do be prepared, they will immediately stop paying your health insurance premiums and you will get a COBRA notification to continue or discontinue coverage. I am single and it's just me on the plan and the premium is $694/month and I didn't include dental which was another $47/month plus your co-pays, and deductibles. After 2 years with the company, over 2 decades in this career, having to take medical leave, and being told I'm facing a very serious life threatening illness, the last thing I expected or needed was to get a notice in the mail that I was being dropped from the health insurance and if I wanted to continue to be covered I had to pay 100% of the premium, right at $700/month. That was a serious blow to say the least.
Believe me I have become an expert on our insurance and benefits program in the last several months, not that I wanted to or had a choice in the matter, but there is a lot that isn't written and you end up figuring out the hard way and through trial and error. I have been happy with the insurance and the short term policy, but I was very disappointed when I realized that without having any income coming in and having to really stick to my budget, I all of a sudden was going to have to take on a new $700/month bill and my choice was pay the bill and get better hopefully, or don't pay the bill, loose medical insurance, and for sure loose my life.
I keep asking the question and have for months, What good is company paid health insurance if when you get really sick and you need your health insurance the most, the company drops you and your on your own with a HUGE monthly premium payment and no paycheck or income. Anyway, just a heads up from someone who is actually living that nightmare. Other than that, I haven't really had any complaints with the company, every 135 has its good and bad, but after having worked for many over the years, this is by far the best place. Sure there are plenty of small things to complain about and I'm sure in time and through growth those little things will get worked out, but overall, there are some great people here and its a very safe and on the level company. Tailwinds guys and fly safe!
Old 08-06-2020, 02:09 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2016

Originally Posted by DiveAndDrive View Post
Can an employee opt into a better insurance plan if they are okay paying the premium?
Not at this time, there are no other options unless you can opt out and go on a spouse plan, VA, Tricare. The most troubling thing is we had way better insurance back in 2017. It started out with Cigna, then switch to United Healthcare, and now Innovative Health plan II in a matter of 3 years.
Old 08-06-2020, 04:25 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2017

Yeah the insurance plan sucks. I have had to be involved in every single claim to make sure it goes through. It’s a real headache! I miss Cigna.