Search
Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Part Time/Contract Retired 121

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2022, 04:10 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Dec 2021

Another early out guy here, 62 next month.
Following...lol
Old 01-06-2022, 06:51 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2014

Originally Posted by Gazoom View Post
Another early out guy here, 62 next month.
Following...lol
Did you get a buyout of just retire early?

TC
Old 01-06-2022, 10:31 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2020

Funny how much and for how long I busted my ass to get the job, and yet how little it took to get me to depart the fix once offered the chance to leave. 30 yrs of crew desk BS, crappy management, long duty hours, embedded red eyes, idiots, stupid HR policies, commuting woes, CSR/PAX issues, knee-jerk broad brush procedural changes, mergers, seniority list screwings, union missteps, geopolitical upheaval, hotel van rides from hell, swap routes, deicing delays, bumps, check rides, crew "meals", packed terminals, Marvins, etc etc.

Life away from Mother U is good!

Last edited by Bat Guano; 01-06-2022 at 10:42 AM.
Old 01-07-2022, 10:08 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Dec 2021

Originally Posted by AA717driver View Post
Did you get a buyout of just retire early?

TC
Call it a buyout if you like.
As to above, so there is negative stuff in a career but a lot of positive stuff too.
Old 09-02-2022, 02:12 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2015
Position: B-767 Captain
Cool RE: Retirement At 62?

Originally Posted by TANSTAAFL View Post
Taking a shot in the dark here, picked this sub-forum because of the volume…..

Recently (early, 62) retired from major 121, looking to continue flying, but not interested in FT. I keep hearing there are lot of opportunities
for part time/contract work these days, and have considerable charter, corp, and fractional experience and types, but not current in any
of the types I flew previously (Lears, King Airs) and would require refresher.

What are the best resources for finding this sort of work? Back in the day (25yrs ago) it was purely contacts, contacts, contacts, but I see now there are several
online pilot hiring resources.

What is the most effective way into this sort of flying? Unfortunately not a lot of contacts in this part of the aviation world any longer. Any suggestions welcome

Just curious about something here. If you retired from a "major" at age 62, why didn't you just ride it out until mandatory age 65? An interesting position you're claiming here.
Old 09-03-2022, 06:58 AM
Gets Weekends Off

I left at 62.5

Reasons? Gawd, there must be 100.

1. Relatively junior FO on the triple meant a relatively lousy schedule.
2. Commuting sucks and had gotten MUCH worse. Plus, commuting sucks, oh and, commuting sucks.
3. I got bumped off the triple and would have had to go to another full school on the 787 at the height of Covid mania, pre-vaxx. Since I already did 7 full schools at mainline and a few others as a commuter puke I wasn't too interested in that, again.
4. I got bumped to Newark. So, I could commute to EWR so I could sit reserve under some of the most heinous Reserve rules in the industry. Yeah, no.
5. Coved mania was sweeping the nation and I was tired of all the bullschitt required just to do my job.
6. After bing told for 30 years that "One day YOU"LL be senior and rake in the big bucks" Super duper Covid LOA was going to limit how many pay hours I could bring home each month. LOA was going to pay me to stay home.

I could go on, but I won't. I don't miss it one whit. Sure, I took a pay hit but I was in a position to do so. Now I'm having fun flying again and staying as busy as I want to.

Last edited by Bat Guano; 09-03-2022 at 07:15 AM.
Old 09-19-2022, 05:00 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2017
Position: single-pilot multi turbine captain

Originally Posted by TANSTAAFL View Post
Taking a shot in the dark here, picked this sub-forum because of the volume…..

Recently (early, 62) retired from major 121, looking to continue flying, but not interested in FT. I keep hearing there are lot of opportunities
for part time/contract work these days, and have considerable charter, corp, and fractional experience and types, but not current in any
of the types I flew previously (Lears, King Airs) and would require refresher.

What are the best resources for finding this sort of work? Back in the day (25yrs ago) it was purely contacts, contacts, contacts, but I see now there are several
online pilot hiring resources.

What is the most effective way into this sort of flying? Unfortunately not a lot of contacts in this part of the aviation world any longer. Any suggestions welcome
I have heard Wheels Up is offering something like 8 on 20 off. They're actually operating multiple certificates and even the recruitment folks don't seem to have it together - surprise! They're not making a profit either. Other 135's may work with you, especially for lighter stuff.
Old 09-20-2022, 02:41 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2014

Part time in 135 in this environment will be difficult to find. Impossible if you expect to be typed.

Maybe look into CAE instructor job and get a type out of it. I hear they’re very liberal about flying contract on your days off.

TC
Old 09-24-2022, 06:02 AM
Gets Weekends Off

A bit surprised to hear you say that. The guys I work for paid for my two-week type course at FSI. They also typed two others as Captains and one very low-time guy as FO. All of us are part-timers, two retired airline geeks.

Admittedly this is just a single example, but it appears to me that a lot of operators and having a tough time finding pilots these days. This is good news for just about every pilot looking for work.

Last edited by Bat Guano; 09-24-2022 at 06:35 AM.
Old 09-24-2022, 04:31 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2022

I too have been struggling to find something part-time. I punched out of 121 at 55 years old, 30 years in the industry. I couldn't take the repeated redeyes anymore, along with the slew of what others have mentioned. I live near Carlsbad CA which is a hot spot for 135 and Corporate, but everyone wants full time and time in types, of which I have none. I dont find too many A320 charter outfits down here. If I could work 10 days a month flying a King Air or small jet up and down the west coast, that would be perfect. If I'm going back to full time, I have a CJO to go back to my previous regional at $200k and 4 weeks vacation to start, but I'll have to commute.