Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Alpine Jumpseat

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2023, 06:30 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2013
Default Alpine Jumpseat

Can 121 flightcrew jumpseat on Alpine? I’m trying to get from BZN-BIL and back.
Old 11-09-2023, 08:24 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2010
Position: Weekends off

Originally Posted by BarryWhite View Post
Can 121 flightcrew jumpseat on Alpine? I’m trying to get from BZN-BIL and back.

Ever get an answer on that?
Old 11-09-2023, 11:21 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2019

Its a hard nope....had a few fedex and ups guys ask the same question in the past.....honestly it would be awesome if Alpine had an agreement with the main cargo carriers for ride aong privledges.
Old 11-09-2023, 08:24 PM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
Ever get an answer on that?
I did not.
Old 11-09-2023, 08:25 PM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by 250kt Final View Post
Its a hard nope....had a few fedex and ups guys ask the same question in the past.....honestly it would be awesome if Alpine had an agreement with the main cargo carriers for ride aong privledges.
Any carrier would be fine - not just cargo.
Old 11-15-2023, 10:51 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Aug 2023
Position: Recruiter
Default Jumpseat w/ Alpine Air

Originally Posted by BarryWhite View Post
I did not.
Hey Barry - Alpine recruiter here - per our guidelines only Alpine employees can jumpseat on our aircraft. Unless there is an audit with TSA/FAA than an agent would be able to jumpseat as well. Thanks!
Old 11-15-2023, 01:41 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2021
Position: B1900 Captain

Hey guys,

It would be great to jumpseat between Alpine and the 121 side, I know I'd love the chance to ride a jumpseat with UPS or Fedex, but unfortunately it's probably not very practical with our aircraft and operation. Off the top of my head this is what comes to mind when thinking about potential obstacles:

We don't have CASS, and at our outstations we would have to come up with a way to access it if we did join it. We would probably also need to adjust training for our pilots to make sure nobody screws it up too bad if we did opt into CASS to start letting other pilots ride along, and of course there's all the leg work to make sure it works within our OpsSpecs and such. None of this is impossible, but there's a lot of work to do and with our operation I don't know if we (the company, not the pilots) would really gain that much from it. If I'm missing something big here please feel free to fill me in.

Another fairly big problem is our jumpseats. We're a single pilot cargo operation with a PDP program, so sometimes we also have an SIC in the plane and the right seat isn't always open. We can install a single optional jumpseat, but those usually aren't installed in the plane unless it's a training flight, line check, or the FAA wants to take a ride with us. In fact, most of our outstations don't have a jumpseat available so we would have to install one at the primary base before departing on the morning leg if somehow we knew we would need it later. If we did install a jumpseat because we had that required advance notice, then we have to move the front cabin cargo net back a few feet to make room for the seat. Doing that reduces our avaiable cargo volume and can make a big difference in several boxes getting left behind or not when we're completely full in the morning. This is especially problematic during peak cargo season from Thanksgiving to after New Year's when getting as much as possible into the cargo area really matters.

I don't know, I'm not speaking for the company I'm just spit balling with you guys here, but I just don't see us doing this anytime in the near future. However, I am going to show this thread to the rest of the management team so they know there's still interest in this happening. If a reason or opportunity to do this comes up I'll certainly let you guys know.