Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

IBS Airways

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 07:26 AM
Tuk er jerbs!

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: B747 Left

Originally Posted by anthony210 View Post
Again, I would rather pay 7500 for a stable job, than pay 5000 to get my CFI's and spend god knows how long instructing.
Pay...for a job... I bolded the above words just to emphasize just how ridiculous that statement was. Isn't the point of a job to make money? Serious question.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:48 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2005
Position: A320 Captain

That is a possibility at any airline.

Again, I would rather pay 7500 for a stable job, than pay 5000 to get my CFI's and spend god knows how long instructing.

The pay may be low, but what can one expect to get paid when they get hired with 250 hours?

I dont feel like Im downgrading myself or other pilots by paying for the training at this job. With the way the economy is, airlines will probably be going back to the days of wanting 3000 hours just to fly a turbo prop.
What is possible? Getting furlouged? That is true but the difference is we never gave the company money we will never see again. So no it really isn't possible to have a negative income at a respectable airline. Don't for a second think your airline is more stable than any other, when the industy goes bad everyone is hurt. Take for example Southwest, they are making money but even they had to cut "nonprofitable" routes for now.

I also want to point out a comment made before, "IBC only hires low time guys", its because they know with a pay to fly contract they will find people who are willing do to anything for a job. So yes you are taking jobs from others who do deserve them because you are willing to work for less and destroy our industry.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:21 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: B737 FO

I disagree. I think the attitude of some of the pilots in the industry such as yourself today is destroying our industry. You feel as though you are entitled to something. My uncle flew for free for years before he got his break, pilots today are getting jobs right out of school. Just because I am willing and able to pay for my training and fly for a small salary does not equate to me destroying the industry.

I get offered a job and I take it (with the exception of becoming a scab). If I'm willing to pay for the training so be it, I could really care less of some pilot with a superiority complex thinks he deserves the job more.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:02 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2008
Position: Corporate

nobody thinks they deserve your job more, most sane people in the world would rather be paid for a job. We all just think it is a bad idea to be whoring yourself out and some of us will be on the hiring boards when you have to explain why you were flying a Saab 340 with IBC Airways at 250 hours when we all know you paid for your job. Aviation is a small world- Good luck!
Old 10-14-2008, 02:20 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: B737 FO

I will explain that I got connected through family members and was willing to pay for the training. I highly doubt any airline is going to refuse to hire me simply because I was willing to pay for my training to get a job.

I have sent resumes all over, no will is willing to hire a 250 today. I do not want to pay for the instructor ratings nor do I really want to instruct. This seemed like my only option, im sorry if some dont like it and you guys dont have to pay for your training if you dont want to but dont knock the guys that are willing to do it to avoid instructing.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:50 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: Back in school.

I doubt that any HR rep would refuse to hire you..... however.... the pilot(s) giving the technical portion might take issue with it..... like jax said... aviation is a very small world.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:53 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008

Agreed on the HR thing. Talking to the Pinnacle reps on two different occasions led me to believe they don't even know what an airline or even what an airplane is? All they wanted to do was sell me some Jet transition course since I was short on their minimum and they could have cared less that I have a college degree.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:42 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2005
Position: A320 Captain

I disagree. I think the attitude of some of the pilots in the industry such as yourself today is destroying our industry. You feel as though you are entitled to something. My uncle flew for free for years before he got his break, pilots today are getting jobs right out of school. Just because I am willing and able to pay for my training and fly for a small salary does not equate to me destroying the industry.

I get offered a job and I take it (with the exception of becoming a scab). If I'm willing to pay for the training so be it, I could really care less of some pilot with a superiority complex thinks he deserves the job more.
Entitled to something? No not at all I've been furloughed twice this year from two airlines and don't really care that much, I'm just going with the punches. You paying for your job does hurt the industry. I'm not just going to target you on this but paying for a job is just terrible. Yes, places like mesa and others hurt the industry because of the horrible work rules and pay but when you are willing to pay for horrible work rules and pay it makes things worse. I'm also not just blaming you the industry is at an all time low and we need to start taking it back somewhere. Theres no better place to start than to stick it to a company who thinks charging pilots for a job is right. On a different note just because your uncle worked for free does mean you should, unless your a lemming. To make things clear I've gone back to teaching part time just to stay current, and have nothing against low time guys getting a job. I just hope that by taking the job even if you pay for it that you eventually help out the industy as a whole.
Old 10-25-2008, 04:16 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: Do whatever the captain tell me

Hi everyone!
Old 10-30-2008, 08:44 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2007

I will explain that I got connected through family members and was willing to pay for the training. I highly doubt any airline is going to refuse to hire me simply because I was willing to pay for my training to get a job.

I have sent resumes all over, no will is willing to hire a 250 today. I do not want to pay for the instructor ratings nor do I really want to instruct. This seemed like my only option, im sorry if some dont like it and you guys dont have to pay for your training if you dont want to but dont knock the guys that are willing to do it to avoid instructing.

Anthony and b18onboost,

Well, after reading these posts, I couldn’t resist to reply. Anthony, has it occurred to you that the reason why you got no responses is because you were not qualified? After all, 250 hours hardly qualifies anyone to fly a multiengine turbine aircraft.

No personal attack intended, but paying for a job DOES degrade the profession. You may think that your individual actions don’t impact the industry, but collectively, all pilots who rationalize PFT as an opportunity to enter the industry, drag-down the profession to the levels we see today.

The problem with the PFT mentality is that you will carry it for the rest of your career. It shows that you are willing to take whatever shortcuts necessary to reach your goals.

And for b18onboost’s argument about “free market” and PFT, perhaps you need to review some basic economic principles. Once one enters the labor pool, one’s skills become a commodity, which is sold for a price (wages, salaries, etc.). By negotiating it down, you drive the entire skill-cost to lower levels [industry-wide]; thus, affecting everyone in the industry.

Training of personnel is part of the cost of doing business, and pilot training should be part of every aviation company’s business plan. If IBC cannot afford to pay for its pilot's training, then, it should leave the market and let a more robust company take over its market share.

P

Last edited by mundo1; 10-30-2008 at 10:56 AM.