Go Back   Airline Pilot Central Forums - Find your next job as a Pilot > >
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators
 

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2009, 07:26 AM   #131  
New Hire
 
Joined APC: Dec 2008
Position: Furloughed
Posts: 9
Default

Haha yeah i think there is a club just about anywhere there is an open pilot job. Its funny how this job can beat you down and we just keep coming back.
E170Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:48 AM   #132  
Gets Weekends Off
 
SkyStormer6's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: JS 31/32 CA, E50P FO
Posts: 178
Default

Just want to clear a few things up since I kinda got a woopin' after my last post. I was asking about the "pay to play" thing because I thought I read about ameriflight doing some kind of program like that and just wanted more details. I understand that these programs are frowned upon, and most likely would never do one myself. Just trying to do some research.

And someone questioned why I was flying single pilot IFR in a 310. I'm doing it part 91. Since I have my multi engine and instrument rating I believe this is legal.

Sorry again for stirring the pot about paying to fly. I'm broke anyway so this wouldn't be an option for me
SkyStormer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:11 AM   #133  
Gets Weekends Off
 
UCLAbruins's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: F/O- G-V/550
Posts: 1,156
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyStormer6 View Post
I understand that these programs are frowned upon, and most likely would never do one myself. Just trying to do some research.

Sorry again for stirring the pot about paying to fly. I'm broke anyway so this wouldn't be an option for me
No worries

But yes sir, that's a very sensitive issue. Its frowned upon because we're desperately trying to save our profesion (salary wise). So when young guys in need of some multi or turbine time offer to fly for free or even pay to get a job, well its like taking one step forward, two steps back.... The other thing is when a single guy offers to fly for free, then the guy after him has a family and he needs to get paid, but now can't because his predecesor did it for free. You screw yourself out of pay, and you screw the guy who takes your place when you leave.

I'm not talking about you at all, just letting you know why its a very sensitive issue.
UCLAbruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:14 AM   #134  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Oct 2007
Position: single pilot cargo, turboprop
Posts: 477
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCLAbruins View Post
No worries

But yes sir, that's a very sensitive issue. Its frowned upon because we're desperately trying to save our profesion (salary wise). So when young guys in need of some multi or turbine time offer to fly for free or even pay to get a job, well its like taking one step forward, two steps back.... The other thing is when a single guy offers to fly for free, then the guy after him has a family and he needs to get paid, but now can't because his predecesor did it for free. You screw yourself out of pay, and you screw the guy who takes your place when you leave.

I'm not talking about you at all, just letting you know why its a very sensitive issue.
Again, this applies to Gulfstream, Vision and other airlines where you pay for an actual job, and yes, I agree, these are unethical arrangements.

If no one pays for the AMF FO program, on the other hand, we fly single pilot without them. No one is losing their jobs because of this program. The seat just goes empty.

I don't mean to bash anyone, but I've seen these anti-PFT arguments go overboard to the point of it becoming a stereotypical witch hunt.

Believe me, I agree with you on several points. No one's wallet should determine their career sucess. I just don't think AMFs program deserves to be lumped in with the controversy.

And here's another thing, don't tell me that CFI's aren't guilty of PFTing. They paid for their training, and often work for the very place they paid. In fact, when I went to school, my school threatened that if we didn't do all our certs and ratings with them, they wouldn't hire us. They were good to their word, and I had to instruct elsewhere. Yet no one is "at their door with pitchforks" or bashing them on internet forums.
own nav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:23 AM   #135  
On Reserve
 
Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: MD80 FO
Posts: 20
Default

"Vision and other airlines where you pay for an actual job, and yes, I agree, these are unethical arrangements."

Just a quick FYI. Vision is no longer pay to play. The April 25th 2008 class was paid 18.00 per flight hour with an 80 hour Gaurantee. (Do228) (of course the whole class is furloughed right now....crossing my fingers for a call back soon)
CircleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:12 PM   #136  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Oct 2007
Position: single pilot cargo, turboprop
Posts: 477
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircleK View Post
"Vision and other airlines where you pay for an actual job, and yes, I agree, these are unethical arrangements."

Just a quick FYI. Vision is no longer pay to play. The April 25th 2008 class was paid 18.00 per flight hour with an 80 hour Gaurantee. (Do228) (of course the whole class is furloughed right now....crossing my fingers for a call back soon)
I'm not convinced that they've "changed their ways." Some airlines were hiring 300 hour pilots up until that point, it was a market condition, not a change of heart. If they go the next few years without returning to their previous ways, I'll be glad to be proven wrong.
own nav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:21 PM   #137  
Gets Weekends Off
 
skatergeek's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2008
Posts: 117
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyStormer6 View Post

And someone questioned why I was flying single pilot IFR in a 310. I'm doing it part 91. Since I have my multi engine and instrument rating I believe this is legal.
That's awesome. Ya after I posted it I thought of that sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by own nav View Post

If no one pays for the AMF FO program, on the other hand, we fly single pilot without them. No one is losing their jobs because of this program. The seat just goes empty.
I had no idea Amflight had a FO program.
skatergeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 05:29 PM   #138  
Gets Weekends Off
 
SkyStormer6's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: JS 31/32 CA, E50P FO
Posts: 178
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatergeek View Post
I had no idea Amflight had a FO program.
That's the whole reason why I posted in the first place. Just wondering if there is any kind of FO program that they use to hire those that are very close to 135 mins. Something along the lines of AirNets SIC program (for the 135 hourly challenged individuals). If any current or former employees could shed some light on this subject that would be awesome. Do you actually pay to build time in the right seat or is it an unpaid internship. I might be able to stomach not being paid for a month or two if it meant a guaranteed job after I hit 1200.

Lemme have it...
SkyStormer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 05:39 PM   #139  
New Hire
 
Joined APC: Dec 2008
Position: Furloughed
Posts: 9
Default

WOW.... I thought it was bad when I was working for Republic and was only pulling down 1100 a month after tax... but to work for FREE!?!?! You say you’re flying right now. Why not just stay there a bit until you have the time? Being a pilot used to be a respectable career... I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.
I guess the only saving grace would be what own_nav said “If no one pays for the AMF FO program, on the other hand, we fly single pilot without them. No one is losing their jobs because of this program. The seat just goes empty.” So its either single pilot or pilot with free automatic gear swinger. :-)
E170Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 05:58 PM   #140  
Gets Weekends Off
 
SkyStormer6's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: JS 31/32 CA, E50P FO
Posts: 178
Default

I'm not trying to lower any standards. For myself or anyone else. Just wanted to know if a brief internship as an FO at AMF might lead to a full time position. I am flying right now, not the greatest job in the world but it's better than unemployment. However, if I had to sacrifice a month or two without pay in order to secure a long term position with Ameriflight, and as own nav stated I wouldnt be causing someone else to lose their job, you bet I'd do it in a heartbeat. The short term sacrifice would be well worth it, plus I'm not hurting anyone else. It also helps that my ol' lady makes enough for both of us. In the end though it probably won't matter, I'll hit the 135 mins in a few months with my current job and then be able to apply at other companies as well.
SkyStormer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
 

 
Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ameriflight Travel Benefits question. Mrsmith42e Cargo 17 05-30-2010 07:12 PM
Ameriflight - Upgrade to t-prop? waflyboy Cargo 1 01-02-2008 02:05 AM
Ameriflight OAK runs? chazbird Part 135 10 07-01-2007 03:47 PM
Ameriflight Questions beech_nut Cargo 0 01-28-2006 11:55 AM
Ameriflight added to APC Freight Dog Cargo 0 11-17-2005 09:27 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:40 AM.


vBulletin® v3.9.3.5, Copyright ©2000-2019, MH Sub I, LLC dba vBulletin
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Website Copyright 2000 - 2017 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1